Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you see how large each gate would have to be?

enough to construct a ring the size of the Earth’s orbit around the Sun

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobing
      Did you see how large each gate would have to be?

Remember how big was the first computer?
      We're just simple humans! We do everything BIG!
      The ancients, instead, made them small and sleek.

Servatis a periculum. Servatis a maleficum.

Comment

Dude thats frikkin insane. The required metal alone would take up the worlds entire supply. Plus, doesnt a wormhole require an infusion of exotic matter or something like that?

Maybe NASA should pull its corporate head out of its @$$ and spend outrageous amounts of money on something worthwhile, like fixing the planet we've GOT.
        [email protected]
        http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
        One nation under dog
        There of which I stand alone
        A face in the crowd
        Unsung, against the mold
        Without a doubt
        Singled out
        The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief Jack O Niell
          It is very possible to get to mars within the next 10 years.
          Right. There's no major technology that needs to be developed before we can start on a Mars mission. All we really need is a desire to do it. If national interest was on par with the interest in sending a man to the moon in the Sixties, we could do it soon.

Originally posted by Jprime
          Maybe NASA should pull its corporate head out of its @$$ and spend outrageous amounts of money on something worthwhile, like fixing the planet we've GOT.
          Not really the job of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Besides, the planet is far too stable, and at the same time too variable and changing, for humans to ever "break" or "fix" it. We barely even understand it.

a time to mourn

Comment

That's not NASA's job though. We're suspposed to have governments and organisations to help clean up this planet. NASA is supposed to explore space and better our knowledge and understanding of the universe.

All ideas first started off as 'crazy'.

Comment

A Rep I got. I thought it was funny.

"Why don't you keep politics out of this?"

Oh, please! LOL!
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobing
                All ideas first started off as 'crazy'.

And with a 'not possible' attitude.
                Besides, they didn't say they were building one in the next decade or so. But who knows, maybe in 200 years or so, no body knows where we'll be by then. And by 'we' I mean the human race.

Servatis a periculum. Servatis a maleficum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                  Plus, doesnt a wormhole require an infusion of exotic matter or something like that?

As i remember, the exotic matter comes into play when you are thinking about creating a wormhole by bridging a blackhole and a "white" hole. Also, this kind of wormhole would lead to an alternate dimension or some such, and you could never pass through it, though supposedly you could see through it.

They are known as "Schwarzschild wormholes" as i recall.

Comment

Sign me up for NASA........I want to be there when it happens.
                    Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Despite the fact that I think this idea is a waste of resources, I applaud the thought that went into it. My main problem is you still have to find an alternate means to get where you want to go, which almost (but not quite) makes the whole concept redundant. In order to get where you want to go using a man made wormhole you'd already have to have been there and built the recieving end.
                      Maybe we'll manage this all one day but not before we ensure (by taking care of ourselves) that we'll be around for a long time to manage it.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Lost in Space was a Tv show, which they turned into a movie. sorry i get mad when people think movies came from nowhere and the tvshwo didnt happen.

anyway...about the conspiracy theory thing. Theres more money going into helping the eco system than there is developing a theoritcal wormhole. Also there are not many WMDs being made, ofcourse theres alot but not nearly as much as before, i mean the governments have realised theres no use in killing someone and yourself. If there was a Stargate, then you know we'd have shields from this and the Ozone would no longer matter, one because wed be shielded by our own means and two because we may not have fossil fueled vehicals in the next 50 years, we will but not many. Anyway, the environment needs saving, right? build spaceships and stargates lets go take up other resources. every planet on sg1 has trees we got plenty right there, asteroids have lots of resources. Im talkin nonsense now but yeah you get the point. we need to save our environment, but we cant stop and do it now, it takes time, and durign that time we may find an unlimited source of trees,food, ect so that we can stop digging up earths and dig ups somewhere else like an asteroids and stuff. but i watch a little too much scifi.. so leave the saving the environment to the people who get paid to do it, but if they do get paid to do it then when its done they wont get paid.. haha. stop payin them.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Perhaps .... but they should work on getting the airlines to depart/arrive on-time more then 80% of the time. It would be great to ease my Philadelphia/LA trips to say, just walking up a ramp ... with my luggage!

While I have YET to lose anything, sine TSA came, the luggage has truly taken a beating.
                          The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                            Right. There's no major technology that needs to be developed before we can start on a Mars mission. All we really need is a desire to do it. If national interest was on par with the interest in sending a man to the moon in the Sixties, we could do it soon.
                            I was under the impression that we still had two major problems to deal with regarding Mars:

1) The astronauts would be exposed to an extremely high (deadly?) level of radiation while in space.

2) Long times in zero gravity would lead to a major loss of bone density, potentially to the point of paralysis.

Not so sure if those issues have been dealt with yet. I may be wrong though, someone feel free to correct me.

Stargate travel is certainly possible IRL; all we need to do is obtain the proper knowledge and technology. Easy, really.

Comment

Working...
                            X