This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever noticed that the Goa'uld theme...

... is just a repaced / modified version of the Stargate theme? I don't mean the main title theme, but the other one (which in the movie sound track is choral), usually in the finale scenes where it's like "wow, look, it's the stargate and it's a beautiful thing." In the movie sound track that's the choral part of Giza, 1928. The Goa'uld theme is the sort of eery one which they used to play more in the first few seasons. It's basically the same few notes (the first 6) as the stargate theme but played at a different tempo with different instruments. (I'm not a music person so I can't describe it better than that). It's pretty cool.

As a side note, I really like the movie soundtrack and Children of the Gods is the only place where it's used a lot.

i dont get it

Comment

i think the song you are taking about is called Procession.

there were a few songs from the movie that were used as part of CotG's. "the Mining Pit" would be one, "Ra the Sun God" would be another and so would "Myth, Faith and Belief" and "Procession"

Myth, Faith and Belief to me would be the Goa'uld theme however Procession sounds similar however the music based on the movie seemed to be slowly phased out as the show progressed

sigpic

Comment

OMG... the entire SOUNDTRACK was reused in CotG!!! yes!! it drives me mad to this day.... i mean, it's lovely music (i listen to it all the time) but it's all just mixed up and reused in a weird way... the use of "the other side" after the jaffa kill all the abydonians and daniel and crew show up.... bothers me....

and yes, the goauld theme is a changed version of music from the movie.... i'd have to give it a dedicated listen, but i'd agree and say it's definately myth, faith, belief that's used, at least in the early seasons... definately

Comment

The Goa'uld theme I'm talking about is featured in Myth, Faith, Belief. They used to play it all the time when they were on Goa'uld ships. Those few notes are the ones used for the choral Stargate theme but modified and given a very eery spin.

Comment

Well, I suppose that's the same for a lot of shows. They reuse music with only a few changes. Heck, they do that in SGG-1. The Asgard theme turns into the Giant Mist Alien theme.
            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

But there is a difference between reusing to save a few tracks and reusing because of a thematic significance (whether intended or not - see below).

Reusing a subverted Stargate theme for the Goa'uld is pretty cool... We all know that the Goa'uld are corrupt and basically steal technologies and twist them for their own evil purposes. And one of the basic premises of the show is that they stole the Stargate technology and used it to enslave people. A corruption of the original concept, just like the music is a corruption of the original theme. Of course, when the movie was released they didn't have the backstory of the Goa'uld. But it worked out in the end.

Comment

You think CotG reused music, you should see Moebius.

Comment

Working...
                X