Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of GateWorld (Community Discussion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    I'm all in favor of expanding a bit, as long as gateworld doesn't become just another generic sci-fi site. I've seen a few of those, and ultimately most succumb to user inactivity, because there's just so much stuff and the sense of community suffers.

I'd like to keep the folders as they are for now, unless there's a drastic drop in activity.
    Definitely agreed. It may well end up being a balancing act. While I would like to see non-Stargate news on the front page, I wouldn't want GateWorld to lose it's identity. The Stargate community seems to be something special, and GateWorld is a big piece of that. If the site begins following and covering too many sci-fi series with little or no connection to Stargate outside of one section of the forum, it runs the risk of diluting this. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

How about some stargate mods for games , and maybe some 3d vids for stargate , made by gateworlds members , we have some very good artist around here .
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Hi,
        I think Stargate will probably follow a similar path to Star Trek, maybe another series, perhaps a few movies. One could look at the evolution of what happened within that community and adapt to suit, rather than become obsolete.
        Like many other people that regularly visit this site, I am a sci-fi enthusiast that enjoys any good series or movie of that genre. The loss of SGU means very little to me, I do want to see it, but have only yet managed to see one episode....so my GW habit is likely to be unaffected by the cancellation.
        From my own personal viewpoint as a person who produces sci-fi movies, I would like to see GW help support new shows of this genre, There are a lot of creative people here and a lot of potential for networking. I am currently in post production of movie that will be released early in 2011, with a sequel to quickly follow. I have had some very positive interactions with some other members that have helped us in this creative process.
        It would be good for this sort of thing to be encouraged for the sake of the future sci-fi industry in general. Economics and technology are changing the playing field quickly, and this site could help shape that direction, rather than just focus on watching what has already been achieved.
        I would certainly consider helping financially supporting this site if it were helpful with promoting new projects, even if it was with advertising, even though it seems everyone blocks them anyway.
        http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
        sigpic

Comment

*beams in*
          Hello:
          I like the idea of expanding to other Sci Fi shows and other interests. I don't foresee a drop in interest in Stargate, whether it's SG1, SGA, or SGU. At least not on fan discussion. There always seem to be new members who have just discovered the franchise and are interested in discussing all aspects. Star Trek is a good example of continuing interest and has a healthy following.
          Matt had a good idea as to a name change , especially if it will be more general Sci Fi site, but I would love to see it still incorporate "gate" somewhere. Call it nostalgia if you will .
          I don't think you will find members leaving here just because SGU was cancelled. This site encompasses something for everyone . I'm sure that with the demise of SGU there will be many discussions as to how the show would have progressed if it had remained.
          I would like to thank you for all the hard work and for the concept you have here. It is a world like no other and I for one would like it to continue.
          *beams out*
          no means no, and so does pepper spray
          Sig by The Carpenter
          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't change much, at least not in the short term. There's still another ten episodes of SGU that are going to come out next year, and who knows what will happen after that. News may be slower but I think people are still going to be here
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I hope GW will carry on as usual, but perhaps expanding and catching up/updating on archived stuff too? I'm happy with whatever GW does as long as it doesn't go away!

I am confident Stargate will be back in some form or other in the future. I'm holding out with high hopes for the SG1 and SGA movies, with hopefully more to come after they've been made! I'm desperate for the movies, particularly the SGA one and therefore I'm remaining positive about everything.

SGA was cancelled quite a while ago now, (SG1 too), yet I still am very much involved in the fandom and still count it as my favourite tv show. I honestly can't see that changing. SGU's cancellation doesn't change anything for me, personally, though I understand why it does for other fans of the franchise. I think Stargate will endure.
              sigpic

Comment

i say expand to covering other shows but not too many because gateworld should remain a stargate place primarily.
                sigpic
                The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I like the idea of Archive Mode. The Omni needs catching up

And I like the idea of expanding a little to other shows, but still being Stargate first and foremost.
                  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

I think this should remain primarily a Stargate site, so I don't think it should expand to cover more Sci-fi shows. There are other sites, like Sci Fi stream, for that. The odd news story here and there would be fine though.

If it is to remain completely dedicated to Stargate, then a homepage redesign might be in order (ie, make the news section smaller and put something else there).

Now that there's going to be no new Stargate for the foreseeable future, it'd be a good time to catch up on all the uncompleted/non-existent areas of site, and really make this place "your complete guide to Stargate". Preferably not "your complete guide to Stargate, with a few bits and pieces from other shows thrown in"
                    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Hmmmm...

First up, Stargate wasn't the first show I got involved in the online fandom of or the last. The other three shows I got into to that extent are now either history or with no further spinoffs on the horizion other than TVMs. My history in other fandoms:

Babylon 5: My first online fandom. Bailed out on it as soon as I got involved in SG1 fandom though.

Dark Angel: Continued hanging around that fandom for about a year after that show was axed, largely because someone started up a VS3 that I got into and commented on which allowed me proper closure for that show. Makes me wonder if people here shouldn't attempt to start up an SGU VS3 at some point down the line because let's face it, we know that the writers aren't going to be able to tie up all the loose ends.

Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes: After the seemingly last ever ep in that franchise I attended the latest of a series of meetups in London...then took a timeout from the forum I was on for a couple of months. Returned to find details of a recent Q+A and talk of spinoff novels. Have no plans to bail again any time soon.

As someone who's hung around GW to varying extents for the best part of a decade...where do I want it to go now? Well for the time being - steady as she goes please. There are still ten eps of SGU to go.

Fastforward to summer 2011...SGU is history. Where then?

Well...as I suggested earlier, SGU VS3. Either set one up on GW or support a good one that someone else starts up. Maybe do similar for an SGA VS6(for all I know someone's already started one of those up already) It gives people fresh stuff to talk about untill TPTB get their act together with more canonical stuff, be it TVMs and 'maybe' a new spinoff.
                      Last edited by Matt G; 19 December 2010, 02:02 PM.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I personally come to GateWorld to catch up on everything Stargate, and have done for many years and with that I think it's important that GateWorld remains a primarily focused Stargate site.

I think while an expansion into other shows would sometimes keep things alive during the "quiet times" any large expansion would just detract from the primary focus of the site and should be avoided.

In my opinion the best approach would be to expand and develop on the existing site packing it out with more content from the shows and movies. If the occasional news feature or interview opportunity comes up then by all means make it a feature.

Comment

I like the expand a little option.

Comment

Overall, I favor archive mode, however I feel we've overlooked a critical set of options.

Like webxro suggested, I think the site should get fans more involved, the show isn't being produced anymore, but fanfiction is still getting written with fervor. Most of it is average in quality, but we all know of fics that are at or above the level produced even by the show, perhaps GW should get involved in promoting these and covering the production of sequels and such based on a ratings system that involves the fans directly voting on the fics they like. Maybe have something like a scoreboard, where all fics are listed by number of hits and quality ratings.
                            It's a new world with viewer-ship shifting online, so I don't see why we can't keep ahead of the curve here.
                            Also, things like video-game mods would also be really cool, from the 2D starship combat simulators to the total conversions of games like Half Life(which don't get any coverage here right now, it would likely help keep them alive long enough to bring us a product).

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              Like webxro suggested, I think the site should get fans more involved, the show isn't being produced anymore, but fanfiction is still getting written with fervor. Most of it is average in quality, but we all know of fics that are at or above the level produced even by the show, perhaps GW should get involved in promoting these and covering the production of sequels and such based on a ratings system that involves the fans directly voting on the fics they like. Maybe have something like a scoreboard, where all fics are listed by number of hits and quality ratings.
                              I read fanfics and I'd like to have a place with trustworthy recommendations. As Crazy Tom said, I came across some excellent pieces (sometimes randomly, sometimes following a recommendation) and I'm sure there are some more. So, I'd welcome some kind of a library of references or similar...

BTW, glad GW is not shaken by this cancellation and thx for being around
                              Merry Christmas!

Comment

•Archive Mode. We don't update the site as much with new content, but focus all our efforts on catching up on those static portions of the site that are unfinished or out of date (the episode guides for past shows, the Omnipedia, etc.). The site as it exists now is all here (yes, including the forum), when you want to visit and look up something -- but we don't do much in the way of new content.

•Business-As-Usual. We continue on course doing what we are doing, in terms of news coverage and occasional cast and crew interviews. We just have a lot less to talk about when the show is not in active production. But we can continue to report on Stargate tie-in merchancise, conventions, what the actors are up to, etc.
                                These. And I like the idea of covering news on any / all people involved with Stargate in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X