COLUMN: Let's Stop Spoiling Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nolamom
    That's the best thing about the 'spoilers' on Gateworld - they just tease instead of giving away the entire story. More than a tv guide episode synopsis, but waaaay less than a transcript. I like that.
    Nola
    Are you serious? I know i should watch what I'm saying on here, but sorry guys, you give away too many spoilers in your articles. i've not read any season eight or atlantis stuff yet because i don't want to be spoiled so for all I know GW has changed their ways.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
    from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

If you don't want to be spoiled at all -- as in know much of anything of than the very basics (episode title, 1-sentence plot), then yep, you'll do well to stay away from spoiler reports in those marked news stories and the episode guide for unaired episodes. GateWorld definitely still publishes spoilers!
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
        If you don't want to be spoiled at all -- as in know much of anything of than the very basics (episode title, 1-sentence plot), then yep, you'll do well to stay away from spoiler reports in those marked news stories and the episode guide for unaired episodes. GateWorld definitely still publishes spoilers!
        Yes, and I thank you for it
        ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
        The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

i feel that spolers should stay because they get people excited for the upcoming episodes
          MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
          I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

The option to have spoilers is very important. There are many Stargate websites that publish the spoilers on their very front page, and the wandering eye is simply doomed to read them.

Comment

There should always be the option to read spoilers because some do give away the entire story. GateWorld, your dose of spoilers are fine, you outline the episode and I think that is really enough, you do a wonderful job. However, some sources do try to stir the reports and give things away in too much depth. This is too much. It rurins the episode and you could quite misjudge
              __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                GateWorld, your dose of spoilers are fine, you outline the episode and I think that is really enough, you do a wonderful job.
                Ah, but for some people, even "Carter is sporting a new hairdo" would be considered a horrible spoiler that would utterly ruin any viewing of an ep, so it's always nice to have an option for any spoilers rather than have them simply thrust upon you.

Probably an extreme example, but I'm sure it happens. Can't say I've ever had any problems with Gateworld's spoiler techniques, myself, but I usually don't mind them anyway.

Comment

Certainly one man's spoiler is another man's "eeh, whatever." But there are bigger things, like the ending of Lost City, etc, that applies to the entire arc and scope of the television series. But I get you.

Comment

Personally, I think the biggest danger comes from fans themselves, not from Gateworld. GW is good about warnings and such, but some fans will read something (either here or elsewhere) and go blabbing it on the board with no warnings or anything and then act completely shocked when people complain. That's where the definition of "spoiling" gets particularly sticky. "Oh, I had no idea that was a spoiler!" or "Gosh, but I was just speculating based on what I read!" or even, "I thought EVERYONE knew that!"

The fans are the biggest danger of them all.

Comment

That's the thing about finding a bit of information, be it Stargate or anything- you get so wound up in excitement that you have to go on a hill somewhere and preach the news! Except in Stargate's case it's a message board or SG-related chat.

That's why it's always great to have a Stargate pen-pal or buddy that you can share all of your spoilery information with, if that's your thing. By necessity or design Darren is my Stargate secret-trader, and he's great to have around. "Oh, did you hear ---- ?" "NO!" or "Yeah, I've known that forever!"

You don't have one? GET one! Honestly.

What is that line from?

Comment

I might be wrong,it does'nt happen too often(lol) but if you dont like spoilers,then hell,dont click on them.This site(and others) plasters "BEWARE SPOILERS" all over the links,so there is the first clue for you.And as was just said,all us stargate fans cant wait to find out just a little more,cause hell,we all have pretty good imaginations and get very excited when we have sussed something out for the next season.I say keep the spoilers,and am a Goa'uld Lord,so Kneel before me.Hows that for an imagination.Its down to the individual if you dont like it,dont look at it.Gateworld is doing a great job keeping us up to date,let them get on with it.Kel mak tak fools
                        "Silence"Kneel before your God
                        Apophis is the english Translation for "APEPI" Serpent god of the night

Comment

Originally posted by Apepi
                          I might be wrong,it does'nt happen too often(lol) but if you dont like spoilers,then hell,dont click on them.
                          That's all well and good on the Gateworld site itself, but the mods can't maintain CONSTANT vigilance on the boards which is, IMO, the main source of trouble. There was a message posted in the S8 section the other day wich contained what could have been a HUGE honkin' spoiler right in the subject line! It has since been changed, but for a while it was right there for all the world to see- whether you wanted to know or not. And people constantly slip up in replies and whatnot. They'll be going on about something and say, "Now that Siler's dead..." or "When they realize that Chevron Guy's a goa'uld..." or even "I can't believe Sam is gonna marry Pete!"

The Mods are good about inserting spoiler space when they see a need, but they can't see EVERYTHING and they can't stop spoilers from happening BEFORE they get around to adding space.

Comment

Fair point,but when you look at the forum for season8 it says above it before you click on it"beware of spoilers", its about season8 how can you go on season8 and not expect anyone to post what they know about it,i really am having trouble understanding it,ITS SEASON8,IT HAS'NT COME OUT YET,THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.later days
                            "Silence"Kneel before your God
                            Apophis is the english Translation for "APEPI" Serpent god of the night

Comment

If the spoiler is in the subject line and if the thread is the most recently viewed, it will still appear on the main page and unless you're exceptionally good at NOT reading an accidental line of text on a page, it's still possible to be spoiled.

Besides, you're assuming that all these spoilers are happening in the S8 folder. I'm thinking of instances where it crops up in OTHER areas- General Discussion among them, where there IS not spoiler warning in the descriptive line, nor should there have to be.

But I digress. You see it your way, I see it mine. Point is, spoilers still happen and some people will always be accidentally spoiled no matter how good the originating website is.

Comment

Nice thing about the seasonal forum rooms is you can blab all you want about spoilers, because of the warnings at Forum Home- but Shadow's right, you still can't label them in the titles of threads, since a lot of people, including myself, look at blocks of brand new threads when I log on. The compiler that drives the threads don't have any regard for which folder they came from. They just lump 'em together.

Comment

Working...
                                X