Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Brad Wright (Executive Producer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, what I took from that interview is that Brad Wright is pretty thrilled to have Atlantis ending so he can get on with his new love, SGU. I feel betrayed by him and it's my perception that he sure didn't fight very hard to get at least another year out of Atlantis, which should have been a viable proposition.
    I am truly sorry that I feel this way, but I really got a gut feeling of betrayal when listening to the interview and it makes me very sad. I feel I have been kicked to the curb to make way for the younger demo. I have supported and spent a great deal of money over the years on the franchise so feel somewhat invested in them.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
      I understand the "going out on top" theory, but I have cable so I don't have to go out and buy more TV. If this is where TV is headed as a medium, I might as well save my money and just wait for DVDs! Of course, if everyone did that, it would result in no money going to networks at all, which would mean no more TV, so I don't know how that would work.
      In fact I myself don't subscribe to cable or large tv packages (which locally don't show much updated sci-fi like Stargate, they just show the early episodes if anything), I just buy the dvd's...
      http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
      sigpic
      My fics at my site
      Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by *subrosa* View Post
        These people are practically like little children getting bored of of their toys... they play with it for a little while, make other people like it as well and then they get their hands on a new idea and they decide it's time to abandon the other toy...
        You know that is the whole feel I get from this interview. They are like spoiled kids who can't wait to ditch the old toys for the new.

Good thing I no longer care...

Comment

I say they shoot a half season to wrap up the dangling story lines which won't be addressed in a 'for everyone' movie!

SG-1 had 2 excellent series enders, neither precluding a movie, but wrapping up many details movies wouldn't get into.

We want a half victory lap to give us the transition to movies. This would make a comfortable, rather than abrupt change.

I did purchase AOT and Continuum but if I am being played to spend more money I will rent the DVD for SGA. Money is tight right now.

Comment

Obviously telling Stargate stories in the medium of film is a high priority to Brad and the team. That seems to be motivating the decision: Atlantis might have gotten another year, or it might not have. And if it did, in another year it might not have had enough audience interest (remember, we're talking about broad appeal here -- not just you and me) to justify one movie, let alone a series of movies.

So you either switch mediums and continue on for years to come, or you risk all things Atlantis coming to an abrupt end one year from now.

Granted, DVD movies aren't necessarily as important to us fans as 20 episodes of television. But that's where Brad's creative priorities lie, and I can't fault him for that.

As positive as we try to be about the show's ratings, the Stargate audience just ain't what it used to be. The television franchise is going on 12 years old now, and if it doesn't get a new injection of lifeblood then it might not continue to survive even on a niche cable channel.

I really think that Brad has a vision for the long-term future of this franchise, and it's at a critical juncture right now. Either we get another year or two of Atlantis and then try to find something else that will work when the franchise is even more tired (in terms of audience interest), or we take a somewhat drastic step to lay the groundwork for another decade.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
              Obviously telling Stargate stories in the medium of film is a high priority to Brad and the team. That seems to be motivating the decision: Atlantis might have gotten another year, or it might not have. And if it did, in another year it might not have had enough audience interest (remember, we're talking about broad appeal here -- not just you and me) to justify one movie, let alone a series of movies.

So you either switch mediums and continue on for years to come, or you risk all things Atlantis coming to an abrupt end one year from now.

Granted, DVD movies aren't necessarily as important to us fans as 20 episodes of television. But that's where Brad's creative priorities lie, and I can't fault him for that.

As positive as we try to be about the show's ratings, the Stargate audience just ain't what it used to be. The television franchise is going on 12 years old now, and if it doesn't get a new injection of lifeblood then it might not continue to survive even on a niche cable channel.

I really think that Brad has a vision for the long-term future of this franchise, and it's at a critical juncture right now. Either we get another year or two of Atlantis and then try to find something else that will work when the franchise is even more tired (in terms of audience interest), or we take a somewhat drastic step to lay the groundwork for another decade.
              Well I would agree if the ratings were down. I have seen the numbers for SGA this season and last. I mean come on "The Last Man" pulled in 2.6 Million viewers and this season's premiere 2.4 Million matching the network's top show for the week. When was the last time SGA did that? Back in Season 1 and 2 I would believe. The viewers did not really go anywhere they are just watching at different times because of new technology. I have also seen C3 numbers as well. Atlantis was the only show truly benefiting from C3.

I think they should of ran SGA with SGU, for one year and then send SGA off to the movie market like SG-1! I really think a lot of the loyal fans are not going to take to SGU too warmly. The new series has to be jaw dropping, the edge of your seats, impressive.

Here are some Live + 7 numbers that I have gotten from different sources..

Season 5

Searh and Rescue - 1.7
              The Seed - 1.5
              Broken Ties - 1.6
              Daedalus Variations - 1.6

AVG - 1.6 (2.2 Million viewers)

vs last Season..

Adrift - 1.4
              Lifeline - 1.3
              Reunion - 1.3
              Doppleganger - 1.2

AVG - 1.3 (1.7 Million viewers)

vs. Season 3

No Man's Land - 1.5
              Misbegotten - 1.7
              Irresistible - 1.6
              Sateda - 1.4

AVG - 1.6 (1.9 Million viewers)

*All above are Live + 7*

So to me, it just doesn't add up that viewers lost interest and it's now time for a brand new series. Brad Wright wrote an amazing episode for Atlantis last night. I just don't know why this show will not continue. To me it's still a teenager or just pushing it's 20's.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scirev View Post
                In fact I myself don't subscribe to cable or large tv packages (which locally don't show much updated sci-fi like Stargate, they just show the early episodes if anything), I just buy the dvd's...
                I think MGM just proved to SciFi they don't necessarily need TV, either. They marketed those movies directly to the fans and did quite well with that. I think the day is coming when we will all ditch our TVs and get everything off the internet or DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                X