Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Brad Wright (Executive Producer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I skimmed the interview, but one thing bothered me.

Oh, Sam is not being replaced, no. Not at all. The way it's going to work is that because we have more people the dynamic is just going to shift every now and then. Carter may end up being in an Atlantis or two, and Daniel is only in 16 out of 20, so even then, now you're getting down to far fewer numbers where we have all five cast members -- well, six including Beau, of course.

But in "Pegasus Project" it was easy just because I put Daniel and Vala over here, and I put the rest of them on board the ship, and Teal'c is in his scout ship. And it all worked out just fine.
    Okay, I don't have a problem (well, I do, but I know it's not BW's fault ) with Daniel being gone for 4 episodes, but it seems like it just convienantly coincides with his plan to handle the *sarcasm alert! Hide the kids!* huge burden of 5 people (don't count Landry as much, because I don't expect him to be going through the Gate) there. All this shifting, and when all the actors are there, splitting them up. And, another Daniel and Vala get roped together and away from the rest.

Is it really that hard to have all 5 people in scenes together? Do they really think that they can't manage to give all of them development and lines and action if they don't split them up? It sounds like tv musical chairs. If the only reason they're sending Sam to Atlantis for some episodes is because they need to rotate the line up, I think that's a problem.

I want team togetherness. If you have the cast there, use them together as much as possible. I've seen it done with large casts. Not everyone always skipping through the show, arms linked, but it's not like "how will we ever manage all of these people in the same shot! Quick! Split them up!"
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      <snipped for space>
      Is it really that hard to have all 5 people in scenes together? Do they really think that they can't manage to give all of them development and lines and action if they don't split them up? It sounds like tv musical chairs. If the only reason they're sending Sam to Atlantis for some episodes is because they need to rotate the line up, I think that's a problem.

I want team togetherness. If you have the cast there, use them together as much as possible. I've seen it done with large casts. Not everyone always skipping through the show, arms linked, but it's not like "how will we ever manage all of these people in the same shot! Quick! Split them up!"
      I agree I'd prefer to see the team together than separated into pairs all the time. S10 spoilers suggest...

Spoiler:
      The Quest is supposed to majorly teamy.

But if they are going to split them up then I would advise them to ensure they don't just have the same pairings all the time - in the old days there used to be complaints that Jack was always paired with Teal'c, Sam with Daniel.

I can appreciate BW's comment and I would say it relates directly back to his comment on 'servicing the characters'. As a fanfic writer, my answer to your 'is it so hard' question, would be that yes it is incredibly hard to write all characters in a scene together where all five have meaningful dialogue and character development (that old balancing act). It is certainly easier to have character development when there is a 'moment' between only two or three characters at a time.

But I'm also hoping that even if they do separate them, the team aspect is still fostered by showing that the characters care about each other when in a group or singularly or in a pair.
      sigpic
      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
        I agree I'd prefer to see the team together than separated into pairs all the time. S10 spoilers suggest...

Spoiler:
        The Quest is supposed to majorly teamy.

But if they are going to split them up then I would advise them to ensure they don't just have the same pairings all the time - in the old days there used to be complaints that Jack was always paired with Teal'c, Sam with Daniel.

I can appreciate BW's comment and I would say it relates directly back to his comment on 'servicing the characters'. As a fanfic writer, my answer to your 'is it so hard' question, would be that yes it is incredibly hard to write all characters in a scene together where all five have meaningful dialogue and character development (that old balancing act). It is certainly easier to have character development when there is a 'moment' between only two or three characters at a time.

But I'm also hoping that even if they do separate them, the team aspect is still fostered by showing that the characters care about each other when in a group or singularly or in a pair.
        Exactly. They don't have to be together; they can just show concern. They can communicate by radio. The real team feeling is in the special moments, when one team member is struggling and another encourages or comforts them, or when they bolster each with humor other when all seems lost.
        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO
          Spoiler:
          the new villains Brad Wright mentioned.
          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347

Okay, I don't have a problem (well, I do, but I know it's not BW's fault ) with Daniel being gone for 4 episodes, but it seems like it just convienantly coincides with his plan to handle the *sarcasm alert! Hide the kids!* huge burden of 5 people (don't count Landry as much, because I don't expect him to be going through the Gate) there. All this shifting, and when all the actors are there, splitting them up. And, another Daniel and Vala get roped together and away from the rest.

And we completely differ here. I prefer much more "characters' development" show, that's why splitting the team works much better for me. It's better for relationships.
            T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

I should start with this: GREAT, GREAT INTERVIEW! Thanks Darren and David. And Mr Wright, for me season 10 is also season 2 of the new show which I really, really LOVE very much now and want to continue for at least 3 - 4 more years
              T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                And we completely differ here. I prefer much more "characters' development" show, that's why splitting the team works much better for me. It's better for relationships.

I prefer character development to, and I feel it's possible with the team together. They don't have to be linked together all the time. I'm fine with some episodes with a character separated, or them in groups. Better yet, episodes with some scenes (and not just the ending 5 minute sum up) where the team is together for part of, then some splitting up within the episode (Prisoners and Gamekeeper come to mind), then the five minute sum up with everyone together. But, not any one type as a majority of the episodes.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Firstly a big thanks to all involved for this interview! Getting an insight into the creative process behind the Stargate series is very much a big part of the enjoyment of them for me, and a special thanks to Mr Wright for taking time out his schedule for the interview. - I can't even begin to imagine how many things he has to juggle on a daily basis,so that makes me appreciate it all the more.

I would like to count myself as a fan of both programmes who doesn't say "Why did they do this?" or "Why didn't they do that?" These people care about what they are doing, and they take the time to think about it from all angles. SG1 is as good now as it has ever been, and it does make sense (as in the real world) that characters come and go, and things change. Mr Wright's comments about budget control, scheduling, casting the writing process make you stop short at how complicated tv production really is, especially on this scale. Esapecially when he highlighted that not everything is in their control. I was also pleased that he address the ahem "Trek" concern, with the Prometheus, Deadelus and Odyssey. Since the ships were introduced, more story options have been added to the mix, but not in a way that detracts from the fact SG1 and Atlantis are about the characters, and how they deal with the extrodinary circumstances that stepping through the Stargate has put them into!

I can see me continuing to watch these programmes for a very long time indeed! Interviews like this one reinforce that thinking. Thanks again for providing it!
                  Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                  Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                    Lots of good clues about the future if you read carefully.
                    Yes. I caught that.

Suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

The original thing about SG-1 is that it's low-tech. And low-tech quite often wins over high-tech. There's a really good Arthur C. Clarke short story. It has nothing to do with Stargate, but it demonstrates that so well. I can't remember what it's called. But it essentially was a General from the loosing side confessing as to how they lost. And in every case they had the superior technology, but there was always an aspect to it that could be defeated.
                      Probably a long shot, but does anybody know the name of the short story BW is talking about in this part of the interview (the description of it sounds quite interesting)?

Help appreciated!

P.S. Great interview guys!
                      Last edited by Devilogic; 29 July 2006, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X