Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah. No ads. At all... Zero. Nada. Zilch...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
      Oddly enough there are no ads showing up at the top of the page for me. It's just the Gateworld banner and then just blank blue space. Wierd.
      You probably have an ad-blocker

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Yeah, I do have an ad blocker but it usually just blocks pop-ups. I did recently upgrade my ad blocker though so that may explain it.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Aiden Ford
          I agree. I don't mind the Google text ads at all, but the "gimmicky" ads that try to trick you into clicking on them just ensure that I never will. "Shoot the criminal and win a prize"...whatever.
          While on a site once I kept hearing this odd noise. It sounded like my computer had a fly in it. I finally realized I kept going over this advertisement with my mouse that had a fly and buzzed every time I touched it with my arrow.

Comment

I really dislike the kind that act like pop-ups but they are in the window and they block the entire thing. The worst part is there is hardly ever a way to close them!

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Darren I appreciate the consideration and love the fact there's a whole slew of ads I've come across elsewhere I don't have to deal with here
              Yeah, I figured a bunch of them were the random google created ones. I'm inherently suspicious of anything that proclaims to be a legal site to dl TV shows (despite my wishing ).
              I'm not sure why I don't have ads - I don't have an ad stripper, might just be Dad's Norton stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                one way you can help is, if you ever buy anything through amazon, come to gateworld first and enter amazon through gateworld. darren then gets a 'bounty' on things that are purchased.

it's a win-win

you get cool stuff that you want, he gets moolah and we all have fun
                How come GateWorld doesn't accept donations?

I mean i know you have your reasons, but i'm willing to make a monthly donation of some sort to help keep GateWorld afloat. Attesting to the rough ride we've had over the last few months or so, i am even more willing to donate now more than ever.

I know the Amazon link is a way to raise money, but i think there are people here at GW who would also be willing to donate directly (myself included). If donating means guaranteeing a stable, reliable host, then I'm more than willing to hand some extra cash over to GW.

Comment

wow, this really makes me appreciate you guys even more! and believe me, i love you guys (in a good, non obsessive way ). but wow. i didn't know how much money it takes to have a site like this!
                  Save us from danger, save us from evil
                  Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Unfortunately, donating doesn't ensure a stable, reliable host and 24/7/365 uptime. Money hasn't been our problem, frankly.

Accepting donations is an undertaking with unbelievably massive implications (starting with taxes). If GateWorld were simply a small fan site trying to stay online, it would be one thing. But it's been such a hit that over the years it has turned into a bit of a business, and frankly I don't feel ethical taking donations with one hand while buying DVDs for myself with the other.

Darren

Comment

I hovered over an ad and the URL came up as e-bay.com, but when I clicked on it it took me to e-bay.co.uk. These ads are really clever.

Now there's an ad for chocolate cranberries at the top of the page, and no one's even *mentioned* chocolate yet. I reckon the cunning ads have simply sensed Shipperahoy and shadow on this page and know what to do...

Madeleine

Comment

The ebay thing is a little spooky, if you ask me. I noticed the same thing when I was in Canada and England. Even if my bookmarks were for one place, I'd wind up in the country-appropriate site.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          The ebay thing is a little spooky, if you ask me. I noticed the same thing when I was in Canada and England. Even if my bookmarks were for one place, I'd wind up in the country-appropriate site.
                          lol, all it does is track your IP to determine what country you're from, then re-direct ya to the country specific site. Google does the same thing too

Comment

Yeah, all the biggies- ebay, google, yahoo, whatever. Still spooky.

And I've seen much more obnoxious ads than the ones on Gateworld. At least these ones don't make noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              lol, all it does is track your IP to determine what country you're from, then re-direct ya to the country specific site. Google does the same thing too
                              It drives me nuts though. When I type amazon.com it's because I actually want to visit their US site, not because I'm too stupid to realize I'm in another country...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Yeah, all the biggies- ebay, google, yahoo, whatever. Still spooky.

And I've seen much more obnoxious ads than the ones on Gateworld. At least these ones don't make noise.
                                oh lord yes! those epileptic seizure inducing flashing ones are enough to make me scream

i did find out that my norton at home does block a lot of them, which helps. my poor lappy doesn't always like all this 'fancy' stuff

but if someone needs a test subject to see if they can fix the 'odd placing of dropdown menu's' issue, just let me know.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X