Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit about GateWorld's advertising policy, which I hope will demonstrate how very conservative we are compared to most sites out there (especially most sites in the TV / movie / entertainment / young male primary demographic):

- GateWorld does not allow pop-up, pop-under, or "In Vue" (layered on the screen over the page content) advertisements. If you see pop-ups while browsing GateWorld, you probably have adware that's snuck it's way onto your computer.

- GateWorld does not allow advertisements that link to sites that peddle in adware or scumware, when we are aware of it. (If you come across a suspect ad, please let us know!)

- GateWorld does not allow advertisements for alcohol, tobacco, or gambling.

- GateWorld does not allow adult-ish ads (like the lusty close-up on female body parts that one dating service is currently using in its online advertising).

- GateWorld does not allow deceptive advertisements. If we see anything like "You are today's winner! Click here to claim your prize!" we'll pull it faster than you can say "takunitagaminituron."

- GateWorld does not allow visually annoying advertisements. This is obviously a judgment call, and for the time being we've decided to allow some of the point-and-click ad "games" like the flittering PSPs. We don't allow anything that is extremely flashy and seizure-inducing like you will see elsewhere.

All in all, we hope that the ads strike a good balance between financially supporting the site and not crapping it up and making everyone leave. Your suggestions to [email protected] are always coveted.

Darren
    Last edited by GateWorld; 31 May 2005, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
      I think at home Norton Antivirus and Internet Security and stuff blocks the top ads. I came to the forum before I went to school and I didn't notice them. Maybe I'm blinder than I thought

I think the ones that are next to the banner show up sometimes lol.

But, I did just notice something... I went to the blog section and this is what I get:

[an error occured while processing this directive]

I refreshed a couple times and still got the same thing.
      I tried that too, and got the exact same message. So don't worry, it's not just you.

I have Norton AntiVirus... and I still get the ads... Maybe it's just that I have an older version or something.
      Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
      Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

Thanks for the head's up! It seems I've managed to break Joe's blog. You can see it here without the errors but with a misaligned nav menu. I'll fix those errors.

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld
          Thanks for the head's up! It seems I've managed to break Joe's blog. You can see it here without the errors but with a misaligned nav menu. I'll fix those errors.
          No problem, and thanks

That last entry had made me hungry for ice cream... Ooh, it's lunch time anyways...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

yeah where did the advertisements come from

Comment

I would assume the ads are a way of defraying the cost of hosting Gateworld with a reliable service. So either we deal with a few flashy ads (which can be poofed with an ad-stripper) or we go back to somewhere less stable and deal with frequent crashes and outages and not being able to access the forum for hours/days at a time.

Your call.

Well, OK, actually it isn't your call, but you get the idea...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I would assume the ads are a way of defraying the cost of hosting Gateworld with a reliable service. So either we deal with a few flashy ads (which can be poofed with an ad-stripper) or we go back to somewhere less stable and deal with frequent crashes and outages and not being able to access the forum for hours/days at a time.

Your call.

Well, OK, actually it isn't your call, but you get the idea...
                yep, that is most likely it.

I mean, i can only IMAGINE the bandwidth a site like this pulls. and, unfortunately, it can become a victim of its own success. more users, more bandwidth, less hosting companies that are willing to take it on (and hosting companies, IN GENERAL, have a reputation of promising you the moon, delivering a moon pie and not refunding you your money)

advertising is a necessary evil.

don't mean it's not annoying, but it is a fact of life
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If you calculate server hardware, bandwidth they are relatively inexpensive in comparison with human hours spent on maintainence and continual updates to the site/forums, and moderation the cost of running the site runs into the thousands of dollars a month.

Comment

Originally posted by OktaGone
                    If you calculate server hardware, bandwidth they are relatively inexpensive in comparison with human hours spent on maintainence and continual updates to the site/forums, and moderation the cost of running the site runs into the thousands of dollars a month.

Holy crap!

If I had money, I'd donate some money to you guys... Ack. That's a lot of money!

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                      If I had money, I'd donate some money to you guys... Ack. That's a lot of money!
                      Tried to do that once. I was politely turned down. *sniff* But I don't take it personally. *sniffle* Not really...

Comment

It's kind of sad really... yesterday, when I saw the site under contruction, I thought maybe the Omnipedia was finally being updated. You can imagine my mismay when I found out it was only to install a new advertisment. I have nothing against GateWorld making more money. I just got my hopes up.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                        Spoiler:

Comment

one way you can help is, if you ever buy anything through amazon, come to gateworld first and enter amazon through gateworld. darren then gets a 'bounty' on things that are purchased.

it's a win-win

you get cool stuff that you want, he gets moolah and we all have fun
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Oh trust me, I've spent small fortunes on Amazon. For Gateworld's sake, of course.

Comment

I wonder why all the ads at the top of this page are for Skydiving courses?

Madeleine

Comment

Oddly enough there are no ads showing up at the top of the page for me. It's just the Gateworld banner and then just blank blue space. Wierd.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X