Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gates.. the writers really don't know how they work, do they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I watched it on a 21" screen and still was able to understand that it wasnt a gate."
    Well bully for you, what do you want a gold star?

"they knew about the black hole before they left the colony for Novus, at least I believe they did. Now bearing that in mind, I'm not sure using a stargate near to an active black hole is really such an amazing idea? There's also no evidence to suggest that Destiny's gate would be able to connect due to said BH."
    Great, now if they had said something like that it would have made more sense, though the logical course of action then would be to pick the descendants up on say day five or six of the trip before they got too close... (conserving air and possibly allowing time for more lime/supply's to be gathered)

"wouldn't being in close proximity to the Novus gate prevent Destiny's gate from dialling?"
    why? never stopped them before did it..

"nowhere near as powerful as their MW and Pegasus counterparts"
    not the issue, the gate on the ship should be as strong as the gates on the planets.

Comment

Originally posted by cor View Post
      "I watched it on a 21" screen and still was able to understand that it wasnt a gate."
      Well bully for you, what do you want a gold star?
      Stargates don’t have thrusters and usually have a hole in the middle of them

"they knew about the black hole before they left the colony for Novus, at least I believe they did. Now bearing that in mind, I'm not sure using a stargate near to an active black hole is really such an amazing idea? There's also no evidence to suggest that Destiny's gate would be able to connect due to said BH."
      Great, now if they had said something like that it would have made more sense, though the logical course of action then would be to pick the descendants up on say day five or six of the trip before they got too close... (conserving air and possibly allowing time for more lime/supply's to be gathered)
      THE GATE WAS DESTROYED! There was no replacing the gate on the colonist planet because Destiny is not a seed ship. They couldn’t replace the gate on the planet so they had no choice, stop bringing it up because it wouldn’t work.

"wouldn't being in close proximity to the Novus gate prevent Destiny's gate from dialling?"
      why? never stopped them before did it.
      The gate was covered in magma flow, so to the system there was not a gate on Novus

"nowhere near as powerful as their MW and Pegasus counterparts"
      not the issue, the gate on the ship should be as strong as the gates on the planets.
      The universe gates are the alpha of the Stargates. In gaming terms you’re looking at comparing pong to those new xbox kenect games. We also can assume the gates are not made of naquidah (if they were the drone shot wouldn’t have melted a hole in the gate) so they aren’t super-dooper conductors like the ones in the Milky Way, that limits the range.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
        Stargates don’t have thrusters and usually have a hole in the middle of them
        right, but they do have a platform and supports and electrics and maybe a dialer.. if i were to design something to transport all that stuff down to a planet it would be pod shaped and have thrusters.. what would you do just Frisbee the gates down and hope they landed on a suitable platform?

THE GATE WAS DESTROYED! There was no replacing the gate on the colonist planet because Destiny is not a seed ship. They couldn’t replace the gate on the planet so they had no choice, stop bringing it up because it wouldn’t work.
        you stop bringing up obvious and irrelevant stuff. I'm talking about the conversation they have before the gate was destroyed and before they knew the drones could track them.

The gate was covered in magma flow, so to the system there was not a gate on Novus
        again they didn't know this.

The universe gates are the alpha of the Stargates. In gaming terms you’re looking at comparing pong to those new xbox kenect games. We also can assume the gates are not made of naquidah (if they were the drone shot wouldn’t have melted a hole in the gate) so they aren’t super-dooper conductors like the ones in the Milky Way, that limits the range.
        I've already said this.. the point is that the gate on destiny should be at least as powerful as the ones destiny passes... no? and Rush at least should know this.

Comment

right, but they do have a platform and supports and electrics and maybe a dialer.. if i were to design something to transport all that stuff down to a planet it would be pod shaped and have thrusters.. what would you do just Frisbee the gates down and hope they landed on a suitable platform?
          Well I’m fairly sure if the Stargates were transported by pods they would have still been around the gates when the crew of destiny tried to dial them. Also the gates were stuck inside the platform so we can assume that they were attached to each other when jettisoned. I think given the size of the platform it could easily fit a shield for entry and maybe a few small thrusters on the base, this would be more plausible than a pod. But until we get a confirmation from the writers about how they got there we are both wrong.

you stop bringing up obvious and irrelevant stuff. I'm talking about the conversation they have before the gate was destroyed and before they knew the drones could track them. again they didn't know this..
          They did know the gate was destroyed otherwise it wouldnt be offline to the network and they would be able to dial Novus themselves. Also if they didnt do what they did they would be clueless about the gates drawing the drones and we wouldnt have all the other information from the settlers. The writters do these things for a reason. It makes the story better

I've already said this.. the point is that the gate on destiny should be at least as powerful as the ones destiny passes... no? and Rush at least should know this.
          For sure the gate on Destiny would be as powerful as the ones on the planet.
          sigpic

Comment

Well I’m fairly sure if the Stargates were transported by pods they would have still been around the gates when the crew of destiny tried to dial them. Also the gates were stuck inside the platform so we can assume that they were attached to each other when jettisoned. I think given the size of the platform it could easily fit a shield for entry and maybe a few small thrusters on the base, this would be more plausible than a pod. But until we get a confirmation from the writers about how they got there we are both wrong.
            again if i was designing the thing it wouldn't be launched fully assembled but would be in a kind of Ikea styled flat-pod pack, that self assembled once it reached the surface.. since we've never seen it your right to say we are both speculating. However my intention was never to say definitively what happened, only to defend my flawed assumption about the alien pod ship.

They did know the gate was destroyed otherwise it wouldnt be offline to the network and they would be able to dial Novus themselves. Also if they didnt do what they did they would be clueless about the gates drawing the drones and we wouldnt have all the other information from the settlers. The writters do these things for a reason. It makes the story better
            they new the Novus gate was *not working* -it could have just fallen over or something.. but i wasn't talking about the Novus gate i was talking about the gate on the settlers planet.

For sure the gate on Destiny would be as powerful as the ones on the planet.
            thank you. that's really my point in this thread, Rush should have known this and he acted like he hadn't even thought about it. The whole discussion about air is mute with this information.

Comment

He has a point. Destiny could have just flown to Novus and dialed the planet and said Okay Guys. We are here dial in.

Comment

I was going to legitmately contribute to this thread, but then I saw this:
                why they would need to fix a gate when they were already on a gate 'seeding' ship.
                The writers aren't at fault here. You are.
                sigpic
                ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                  I was going to legitmately contribute to this thread, but then I saw this:The writers aren't at fault here. You are.
                  What, chicken?

*hides from Biff behind a counter*
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I was going to legitmately contribute to this thread, but then I saw this: "why they would need to fix a gate when they were already on a gate 'seeding' ship." The writers aren't at fault here. You are.
                    *sigh* what would we do without the people who feel they must 'legitmately contribute' (leg-it-mately? legitimately?) without bothering to read the thread first. Thank you sir for your legitimate contribution, I'm going to answer your post last week, about 6 posts ago on May the 5th.. there done,. oh, either I'm the god of all space and time or your an idiot .

Comment

*sigh* what would we do without the people who feel they must 'legitmately contribute' (leg-it-mately? legitimately?) without bothering to read the thread first. Thank you sir for your legitimate contribution, I'm going to answer your post last week, about 6 posts ago on May the 5th.. there done,. oh, either I'm the god of all space and time or your an idiot .
                      I was in the process of doing something that rarely ever happens: reading the entire thread before making a comment. Over and over again, you made misguided judgments based on faulty information and ridiculous speculation, and then you turn around and blame the writers for mistakes you've been making.

That last part about Destiny being a seeder ship was merely the last straw. I can't "legitimately" contribute to this thread because this thread isn't legitimate itself.

Inb4 a lock comes in: if you want to discuss this further we me, send me a pm. It is not my intention to get threads locked (legit or not), but if this goes the route I think it will, you'll lose your thread to endless bickering.
                      sigpic
                      ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

I was in the process of doing something that rarely ever happens: reading the entire thread before making a comment. Over and over again, you made misguided judgments based on faulty information and ridiculous speculation, and then you turn around and blame the writers for mistakes you've been making.

That last part about Destiny being a seeder ship was merely the last straw. I can't "legitimately" contribute to this thread because this thread isn't legitimate itself.

Inb4 a lock comes in: if you want to discuss this further we me, send me a pm. It is not my intention to get threads locked (legit or not), but if this goes the route I think it will, you'll lose your thread to endless bickering.
                        sorry, i was trying to be funny.. i guess the little smiley didn't adequately offset my sarcasm, but come on, I've already admitted that i miss-took part of season 1 (ep3) as being a gate launched, and explained why. I've explained that it was only the conversation they had before they knew the drones could trace them that made no sense, and that it was mute after that as the story line took a different direction.

If you have new info i hadn't considered please post, but i think everything has been covered and I'm quite happy letting this thread slip away, or letting some ocd coffee hyped mod lock it... unless you have new info I'm done, and i think I've made my point, and learned a bit while i was at it .

Comment

Lol so in the whole 2 days since I’ve checked this post it’s turned into a geek cage match. I agree with Cor, I think the original purpose of this thread has been fulfilled. I don’t think a lock out would be necessary because it’s always good to inspire debate in the interest of learning from each other and the show. So if anyone else has new info I think it would be cool to see what they have to say. (so long as it makes sense)
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X