• Show
Clear All

Subspace isnt a place you can store things
    sigpic

Comment

google is the search engine

googol is the number

Comment

For the question of how big Destiny's memory capacity actually has to be.

How much memory would create in reserve for a trip that could potentially catalogue to contents of the entire universe before finding what you've set out to find?

N.C

Comment

Well, Rush's entire conscience was more than 900 terabytes. Then other two would be similar. So i think it is unlimited or adaptive, i grows as needed.
          sigpic
          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Somewhat unrelated, but Daniel, for a while was able to store 15 consciences within him. So the human brain (in Stargate at least) can store more than it needs...

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
              Well, Rush's entire conscience was more than 900 terabytes. Then other two would be similar. So i think it is unlimited or adaptive, i grows as needed.
              There is actually 3 permanent consciousness, people seem to forget about Franklin.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                There is actually 3 permanent consciousness, people seem to forget about Franklin.
                yeah, people should show some more respect for this awesome character and Eli never said that he put him in quarantine, so who knows Franklin may still be able to help.

Comment

destiny was built for in intergalactic, trans-universe journey, possibly withouth knowing how far it would have to go.

the data it would need to store must be astronomical, based on ships systems alone - it has to be able to monitor the lifetime use, and analyse it as well.

further to that, it was likely built to contain the entire atlantis database, and realistically a LOT more - the ancients clearly didn't know for certain when they'd be transferring over, but would have wanted to take the entirety of their knowledge with them. especially to prove to any being at the end of the road that they're smart enough to be there.

then there's the need for storing any knowledge they gain at the end of their mission. chances are, they'll need destiny, all the seedships, atlantis, probably asura as well, and still only scratch the surface.

i won't pretend to know how much data destiny CAN hold, but its design will be for as much as possible, by whatever means necessary.
                  Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

I would love to see what storage it has, and if we ever manage to adapt an earth based version!

Comment

If the Ancient capable made a ZPM extracting energy from a Universe, I guess the Apple-Core that destiny had capable to store memory as big as a Universe, Probably they've allocated a deserted Universe as a databank.

Comment

That a interesting idea, encoding data in the fabric of a artifical universe.

One got to wonder whether that what the signal that destiny is following is. But I doubt the ancient at launch of the destiny was that advance, I someone how doubt they were.

Comment

At the current rate of growth we will have 1 yottabyte drives in 2070.
                          If we could somehow encode 1 bit in each hydrogen atom, 1 yottabytes of data would weight 13 grams.

Comment

What the heck is a Yoggabyte?

Comment

Yottabyte
                              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"YB" redirects here. For other uses, see Yb (disambiguation).

The yottabyte (derived from the SI prefix yotta-) is a unit of information or computer storage equal to one septillion (one long scale quadrillion or 1024) bytes (one quadrillion gigabytes).

The unit symbol for the yottabyte is YB.

As of 2011, no storage system has achieved one zettabyte of information. The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world does not amount to even one yottabyte, but was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006.[1] As of 2009, the entire Internet was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes.[2]

When used with byte multiples, the SI prefix indicates a power of 1000:
                              1000000000000000000000000bytes = 10008 or 1024 bytes
                              The term "yobibyte" (YiB), using a binary prefix, is used for the corresponding power of 1024.

Comment

Interesting.
                                So it goes,
                                Gigabyte
                                Terabite
                                Then what?

Comment

Working...
                                X