Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the Seed Ships gather the materials for the gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Phantasm View Post
    Spoiler:
    ]SGC, I believe the answer to your question lies in the Ancients shown and, proven ability to create artificial intelligence and interface with it...Like Replicators or the “chair” device (both Destiny and Atlantis versions).

Remember the episode in SGA when the wraith scientist successfully interfaced with that Ancient warship, Aurora, I think?? How about when Rush discovered the ships bridge and was communicating with both Franklin and his wife on separate occasions...Well, was he hallucinating or actually interacting with the Destiny’s artificial intelligence/consciousness?? By the way, remember in season 2 episode “Sabotage” when Franklin sits in the chair then disappears...Where did he go? Who’s to say his consciousness isn’t alive and well somewhere within the ships intelligence (Remember Thor did it in SG-1 episode “Descent”).

If we all remember the SGU season 1 episodes “Faith” and then “Sabotage,” the team discovered those mechanical, spider like drones. They even put them to work in repairing the ships “FTL” drives as well. What if these drones transported to a planet’s surface somehow, then mined the materials? I mean, just look at the rover’s humanity is currently sending to Mars...Which bring back samples of rock and Martian surface material the like. Just look at how the SG-1 replicator's were able to consume raw materials, like Asgard ships, then literally produced more replicators. So, these drones probably “mine” but, how do the stargates get manufactured??

Well, remember in the SG-1 episode “New Order” when Thor was able to synthesize the anti-replicator weapon ala Star Trek “replicator” style...I don’t know about you, but the cargo room onboard the seeder ship looked the size o' warehouse or of an airplane hangar...It had dozens of orders of stargates completed, and ready for deployment.

Look, all I’m suggesting is that just maybe the Seeder ships and Destiny are a lot more intelligent than we know? Thor was able to synthesize the weapon with the Ancients knowledge, so it’s logical to assume that as long as the material is available and mined, then both the ships "intelligence” and technology are surely capable in manufacturing and, seeding stragates, yes?!

I do hope this helps?

Cheers!
    Thanks! That was very insightful. Tip: you don't need to use whitespace if you have spoiler tags. Next time, do a **speculation and spoilers SGU all past episodes**
    Spoiler:
    blablabla
    tag to make it easier on yourself, and btw: Welcome to GateWorld!

Comment

My theory on why the gates are inferior is that there's no DHD (cold fusion reactor) to power the gate, only a tiny mobile one, so maybe it draws energy from the sun but they provide less energy to dial all gates in the galaxy? Speculation, I know but we'll probably never know why...

On the OP's question, I think it would be based on naquadah if possible or another strong superconductor. You can't find naquadah everywhere in the universe, take our solar system for example.

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
        My theory on why the gates are inferior is that there's no DHD (cold fusion reactor) to power the gate, only a tiny mobile one, so maybe it draws energy from the sun but they provide less energy to dial all gates in the galaxy? Speculation, I know but we'll probably never know why...

On the OP's question, I think it would be based on naquadah if possible or another strong superconductor. You can't find naquadah everywhere in the universe, take our solar system for example.
        I agree. They might go into the naquadah thing more, but also they noted in SG-1 that it was rare not to have naquadah. Maybe we are wrong and that the Ancients just used all of it up?

Comment

Considering how many gates we'd seen, probably yes lol

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
            Thanks! That was very insightful. Tip: you don't need to use whitespace if you have spoiler tags. Next time, do a **speculation and spoilers SGU all past episodes**
            Spoiler:
            blablabla
            tag to make it easier on yourself, and btw: Welcome to GateWorld!
            You are welcome, SGC. And thanks for the tip and advice on how to use the "spoiler" tags. I'm just covering all bases until I get the hang of it here. I'd hate to ruin plot details for those who have not watched quite yet.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the SG-1 season 4, episode 9 "Scorched Earth," which is the closest living example of an on air episode, which may show clues as to how the Ancients did it. You can read the episode summary and analysis in gateworlds 'episode' section, or if you can find the video then I strongly recommend watching it.

Again, Hope This Helps

Cheers!

Comment

You are welcome, SGC. And thanks for the tip and advice on how to use the "spoiler" tags. I'm just covering all bases until I get the hang of it here. I'd hate to ruin plot details for those who have not watched quite yet.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the SG-1 season 4, episode 9 "Scorched Earth," which is the closest living example of an on air episode, which may show clues as to how the Ancients did it. You can read the episode summary and analysis in gateworlds 'episode' section, or if you can find the video then I strongly recommend watching it.

Again, Hope This Helps

Cheers!
              No problem. We are always happy to help new members.

Good catch on that episode! What do you mean by their method? Do you mean that they convert the planets to hold naquadah and then gather it? If so, that's a decent idea.

Maybe there are special spacecraft aboard the seed ships that go to the planet to mine the naquadah, similar in design to a shuttle but meant for cargo.

Comment

No problem. We are always happy to help new members.

Good catch on that episode! What do you mean by their method? Do you mean that they convert the planets to hold naquadah and then gather it? If so, that's a decent idea.

Maybe there are special spacecraft aboard the seed ships that go to the planet to mine the naquadah, similar in design to a shuttle but meant for cargo.

I like your suggestion that perhaps there sits somewhere, in an unexplored section of the ship, these special mining cargo ships?! Remember, there still remains a ton of ship, hallway and sections yet to be discovered.

It is stated by Gateworld in the technology section under the category: stargate, “Perhaps the oldest gates in existence are in the style of the Destiny Stargate, and those gates manufactured and placed on planets by automated Ancient vessels in various galaxies beyond our own. This gate seems cruder, spinning entirely (without an inner track) and without moving chevrons.”

Well, there you have it. Just maybe these mining craft are also automated, like the gate countdown, except the mining ships deploy; while the ‘seeder’ ship remains in orbit around the selected planet, until all suitable elements are gathered, gates are manufactured and then seeded on these planets.

This line of thinking is also consistent with the ships “intelligence” theory we’ve discussed.

Think about it for a moment...To launch such an epic, unmanned mission and, to have the ship travel unimaginable distances to reach the edge of the universe, while on the way having to seek out suitable building materials (for gates) in parts of the universe even foreign to the ship (and Ancients) itself. Not to mention that these new gate networks being constructed require calibration using the star constellation “address” technique. By the way, is naquadah even a naturally occurring element found throughout the stargate universe itself?? I mean, after all, it’s the primary element used in the construction of Milky Way gates. What about the Pegasus galaxy? Is naquadah naturally occurring there, or did the Ancients have to import it from Milky Way? And what about the SGU gates...What about all the other (unknown at the time of the mission) planets, solar systems and galaxies the Destiny mission ships will surely encounter while on mission...Can we assume naquadah is available in these foreign places? What if the seeder ships can't find naquadah? If not then of what are these gates (SGU) made of?

Either way I highly doubt the seeder ships could even terra-form each and every planet it chose for a stargate to include naquadah (where there was none to begin with), even if this process was achievable because of the mission epic scale (It would just deplete too many resources, energy and time to see it through over and over again). Besides, I suspect naquadah in itself is a natural occuring element to a planet, which would take a milenia to develope like fossil fuels have done here on Earth (In the stargate universe naquadah is a foreign element to Earth). Again, what if the seeder ships can't find naquadah--Or it doesn't exist to the galaxy the ship currently occupies? If this is the case, then what are the gates made of??

Anyway, looking back at the SG- 1 episode “Scorched Earth” we can now theorize how the Ancients may have undertaken such a mission. The episode even tells us that the Gadmeer race was only 10,000 years old in technological terms (Light-years and even more light-years behind the Ancients, even at the point of the Destiny mission). It also demonstrates the Gadmeer ship did have a conscious intelligence onboard, which by the way could think independently from the ships programming and, took human form to interact with the SG-1 crew (Rush’s hallucinations/conversations while secretly on the Destiny bridge...Is this the ships “intelligence” he is speaking?). Uh, the mission of the Gadmeer ship was to search space for a new, suitable home world for the nearly extinct Gadmeer race, then re-seed the civilization on a chosen planet. It was even mentioned in the episode that it was unknown exactly what amounts of distance and time had passed from launch to when the Gadmeer ‘ark’ ship finally settled on the planet it was to terra-form. So if the Gadmeer at 10,000 years can undertake a similar mission objective (Even in being very primitive in comparison to the Destiny mission) then why not the Ancients? They just did it on the grandest of universal scales!

That said I’m absolutely confident the Ancients along with their knowledge, technology and ships at the time of mission, very capable of accomplishing the task at hand. I’m going to even theorize that the consciousness of an Ancient (Perhaps a mission volunteer whom essentially gives up their human body existence to become the ships conscious mind?) may have survived all this time, existing within the ships computers and is the caretaker of the ship. There are just an infinite number of factors that could go wrong on a mission scale such as this to fully accept that a computer program, no matter how advanced, could make certain unforeseen decisions that require the ingenuity of a “conscious” not programmed intelligence. Either way, in my opinion the ship is definitely way beyond computer programmable “smart” performing the tasks it’s conducting. Something has got to give? Again, what are the SGU gates made of? What do you think??

Comment

And those mining shuttles probably would have been used to place the gates too. After all, they all have their ramp bases, so they would have had to land a specific way. If it weren't for that gate assembly line, I would probably think the gates were constructed on-planet by the shuttle robots without the resources ever getting to the seeder ship itself.

Comment

Well, the Ancients wouldn't have any way of knowing for sure that there was naquadah out there, so maybe the gates can be made of any superconductive element, where not all of them have naquadah, some are completely naquadah, and some are a mix. The seed ships prefer the naquadah, but if there isn't any right there, it takes whatever elements will be suitable and then mix them with the naquadah, to even the build quality.

@Starsaber: Maybe they did, or there was a different craft built specifically to do that job. The gates could be set up in the ramp (they are probably built in the ramp, or the ramp is built around the gate) and then dropped from a low altitude and make it settle nicely in the most viable position.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                      And those mining shuttles probably would have been used to place the gates too. After all, they all have their ramp bases, so they would have had to land a specific way. If it weren't for that gate assembly line, I would probably think the gates were constructed on-planet by the shuttle robots without the resources ever getting to the seeder ship itself.

Yeah, seeing all those gates lined up row by row like an assembly line convinced me this manufacturing process is somehow done in-house.
                      We don't even know the full design details of Destiny let alone the Seeder ships as well. The assembly line room we saw could have instead been a gate storage room?

There could be titanic rooms or even be entire section spaces on board the seeder ship designed to be like coal mining and production plants here on earth. Of course if mineral is being refined and gates are being stored in hangar rooms than rooms dedicated to the assembly of the gates are most surely on board the seeder ships as well. How do you suppose the gates were actually assembled once the mined minerals was refined and produced--By robot arms like we do with cars or like Captain Picard does when ordering his earl grey tea?? I’m still undecided. Are there any other thoughts?

And since the seeder ships wouldn’t necessarily need shuttles, maybe there are hangar bays on board that house the mining cargo ships? What if these vehicles look more like a tank with wings than a shuttle ship? I’m imagining some sort of Ancient version of a Transformer or something like that. It’s obviously clear that the spider drones can be used to repair the ships FTL drive while exposed to outer space. So why not have the Ancients make an oversized version that can fly like a shuttle into a planet, land and then modify its design to become an mean roving, Ancient mining tank!

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                        I agree the gates are definitely placed neatly and precisely! Perhaps the mining tanks also served as the 'transport' vessel taking the gate with ramp to planet’s surface.

Comment

Well, the Ancients wouldn't have any way of knowing for sure that there was naquadah out there, so maybe the gates can be made of any superconductive element, where not all of them have naquadah, some are completely naquadah, and some are a mix. The seed ships prefer the naquadah, but if there isn't any right there, it takes whatever elements will be suitable and then mix them with the naquadah, to even the build quality.

@Starsaber: Maybe they did, or there was a different craft built specifically to do that job. The gates could be set up in the ramp (they are probably built in the ramp, or the ramp is built around the gate) and then dropped from a low altitude and make it settle nicely in the most viable position.
                          Yes, the Ancients would have had no way of knowing for sure but, still...I'm thinking the SGU gates are made of still foreign substances. I wouldn't count on naquadah to be available if I was an Ancient planning this mission.

I agree SGC, perhaps naquadah is the absolute best 'super' conductor the Ancients had "ever" discovered...It would explain why these gates are inferior to the Milky Way and Pegasus versions. Because a wormhole is a wormhole and always will be a wormhole; seven, eight or even using nine chevrons to connect but, the material used to conduct its energy determines its full potential.

Thanks for helping me figure this one out, sir.

Comment

Yes, the Ancients would have had no way of knowing for sure but, still...I'm thinking the SGU gates are made of still foreign substances. I wouldn't count on naquadah to be available if I was an Ancient planning this mission.

I agree SGC, perhaps naquadah is the absolute best 'super' conductor the Ancients had "ever" discovered...It would explain why these gates are inferior to the Milky Way and Pegasus versions. Because a wormhole is a wormhole and always will be a wormhole; seven, eight or even using nine chevrons to connect but, the material used to conduct its energy determines its full potential.

Thanks for helping me figure this one out, sir.
                            I'm not saying that the gates AREN'T made of naquadah, but I am saying that maybe some of the gates are and some aren't, depending on what was available at the time.

<<<For example>>> Let's say the one on the Time planet is made of naquadah, but the one on the Air Pt 3 planet has only trace amounts, because there wasn't much naquadah nearby, so the seed ship used a little naquadah and other superconductive materials. <<<That was just an example. No actual canon fact has been stated.>>>

In order to be able to dial Earth, the gate would HAVE to be entirely made of naquadah. Obviously, the Destiny gate was manufactured on Earth before Destiny's launch, so there's no problem there.

Comment

I'm not saying that the gates AREN'T made of naquadah, but I am saying that maybe some of the gates are and some aren't, depending on what was available at the time.

<<<For example>>> Let's say the one on the Time planet is made of naquadah, but the one on the Air Pt 3 planet has only trace amounts, because there wasn't much naquadah nearby, so the seed ship used a little naquadah and other superconductive materials. <<<That was just an example. No actual canon fact has been stated.>>>

In order to be able to dial Earth, the gate would HAVE to be entirely made of naquadah. Obviously, the Destiny gate was manufactured on Earth before Destiny's launch, so there's no problem there.
                              Originally posted in another thread here:

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                              Carter: Woah...you've been busy.

Orlin: I didn't think they'd let me go back to Velona through their Stargate.

Carter: So you built one?

Orlin: Sort of...this one won't dial multiple addresses; it'll only create a wormhole once and probably burn out.

My point is, a Stargate that is reusable and efficient must be made out of super conductive materials be it Naquadah or another similar element. A Stargate made out of non-super conductive materials will burn out very quickly resulting in a one-time use. This is what leads me to believe that the Destiny gates are A) made out of Naquadah or B) Made out of a similar element that is also superconductive.
                              sigpic
                              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                                Originally posted in another thread here:
                                What I'm theorizing is that not each gate has the same ratio of naquadah to other superconductors. Some are naquadah > other, sometimes other = 0, others are other > naquadah. It's a mix depending on whatever materials are accessible to the ships. Sorry about the code, I'm a programmer

Comment

Working...
                                X