No announcement yet.

Stargates & ramps' hidden functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but don't all the gate's dial each other? maybe the kawosh cleans everyrthing ?
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      Boy. He insists.
      Once again, why do you come here to annoy me with your mental dribble when you are missing the point of this subforum?
      Hey, why don't you post this same tripe of yours in about every single thread in all those science & tech subforums?
      Keep going man, you've got a job of epic proportions waiting for you.
      A) Calm your panties. No one wants to see an immature freak out.

B) I do get the point of these forums. They're for discussion, speculation, and theory generation. The reason why I don't post "my tripe" in every subforum is because those subforums discuss something tangible and still open to debate. Like the Communication Stones or Destiny's FTL drive.

We know the Stargate doesn't clean itself, that's been established well before now. The reason why it's clean in every episode is because it's a prop and the crew cleans it. It has nothing to do with Stargate canon, there's no hidden function, no mystic alien janitors, and no "Mr. Clean force shield."

C) You say it like I'm constantly annoying you. Call me crazy, but this is the third time I've ever talked to you.
      Originally posted by Rylor View Post
      Cleaning of small grains of sand or snowflakes is a different thing than big rocks. I can easily imagine the Stargates being able to do the former, otherwise they would get buried on many planets, like Mister Oragahn wrote.
      Small grains of sand and snowflakes will not stop a wormhole from forming. A solid object (like the cover-stone) must be blocking the event horizon in order to cause a "failed" dial in. If there's movable amounts of sand or snow, the "Kawoosh" will simply engulf the debris (see the episode where Jack is left on a planet after a meteor shower).
      Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      But if you can make a system that can clean sand off the platform, why not rocks?
      How about: If you can make a Stargate, why can't you make a system that cleans off rocks.
      sigpic
      ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Maybe when the gate senses its being buried in something little legs pop out of the bottom of it and it walks to a new location so it looks a giant walking donut and the ramp walks along behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          Small grains of sand and snowflakes will not stop a wormhole from forming. A solid object (like the cover-stone) must be blocking the event horizon in order to cause a "failed" dial in. If there's movable amounts of sand or snow, the "Kawoosh" will simply engulf the debris (see the episode where Jack is left on a planet after a meteor shower).
          It has never been clearly established how much matter is required inside the plane where the event horizon is forming to stop a wormhole. In "Aftermath" it is implied that even a small rock can block an incoming wormhole. If the gate is buried under 50 meters of snow or sand, I doubt that a wormhole can be established.
          The situation in "A Hundred Days" was a little different. The gate was hit by meteorite while the wormhole was still active and the molten naquadah formed a natural iris just over the event horizon, so a wormhole could still connect. It was not truly buried.
          sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Now it's possible that Destiny is catching up with the seeder ship, so much that the stargates Destiny dials are relatively "fresh".
            Still, why bother with such a super project and putting stargates on desolate worlds, if it's to have them completely buried just because someone didn't think about protecting them to some extent?

Which would be a great conclusion if we hadn't seen a Stargate buried in a rockslide. If it can be buried, there's nothing there cleaning it.
            But if you can make a system that can clean sand off the platform, why not rocks?
            I haven't seen season 2 yet, but we cannot exclude possible failures, although that would be very, very surprising considering how ancient systems are very good in general.
            It's possible that the force field isn't strong enough, as suggested by Rylor.
            It's also possible that if the ramp blasts the place clean every once in a while, then that particular stargate was simply dialed too soon. In other words, the cleaning lady had not come yet.
            So, you could say that they surely need sensors of some kind to monitor that process anyway, so why not noticing the rocks's, their pressure and volume, and why not automatically launch a cleansing phase?

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            but don't all the gate's dial each other? maybe the kawosh cleans everyrthing ?
            The vortex burst only disintegrates whatever it touches, and it touches very little, since it's strictly projected forward. Not to say that it's still a very dangerous thing, not very controlled either
            The kawoosh would make a whole in sand for example, and then the sand would immediately fall.
            Besides, if the gate is buried, there's little chance for any vortex to form, to begin with.

A) Calm your panties. No one wants to see an immature freak out.
            You're too sensitive.

B) I do get the point of these forums. They're for discussion, speculation, and theory generation. The reason why I don't post "my tripe" in every subforum is because those subforums discuss something tangible and still open to debate. Like the Communication Stones or Destiny's FTL drive.
            Everything's open to debate. Anything from wormholes to Destiny waste system, be it forethought by the producers and writers or not.

We know the Stargate doesn't clean itself, that's been established well before now.
            When?
            SGU's stargates are quite unique in that they come with their own ramp. Now it's possible that there's a solid artificial structure holding the SG-1 stargates in place as well, under those stone steps.
            Actually one could hold the same reasoning about all stargates, since they're all so clean and pristine, never covered with a single grain of sand of bit of moss. You know, something as silly as a grain preventing a chevron lock or annulus spin.

The reason why it's clean in every episode is because it's a prop and the crew cleans it. It has nothing to do with Stargate canon, there's no hidden function, no mystic alien janitors, and no "Mr. Clean force shield."
            ... I'm just... speechless.
            You mean... all that... the stargates, the guns... they are props? like... you know... fake??? they are not REAL??? WHAT??? Does it mean it's really just a show?? With actors, sets and CGI???? O_O

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

C) You say it like I'm constantly annoying you. Call me crazy, but this is the third time I've ever talked to you.
            Well you are very annoying, and you manage to annoy me so much, that it feels like you've been doing it for years, even though it's been only for a few posts. You just managed to flash-reach a threshold for which it usually takes lots of time to get there.

Small grains of sand and snowflakes will not stop a wormhole from forming.
            I would swear I spoke of sand dunes, time, erosion and whatnots... it's not like I specifically limited my point to the dialing of the stargate. See, I also spoke of how the ramps are that damn pristine, with their neons and polished walkpaths.
            And FYI, sand dunes do move quite fast in fact. See that episode called "Air"? I'd suggest you watch it again.
            Oh, btw, it takes only a few hours of constant snowing to cover heights of several meters. See that episode "Water"? Check it out.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

since they're all so clean and pristine, never covered with a single grain of sand of bit of moss. You know, something as silly as a grain preventing a chevron lock or annulus spin.
              See, the problem here is that when I try to tell you why the Stargates are so clean (Because it's a freaking prop!), you respond by saying things like:
              ... I'm just... speechless.
              You mean... all that... the stargates, the guns... they are props? like... you know... fake??? they are not REAL??? WHAT??? Does it mean it's really just a show?? With actors, sets and CGI???? O_O
              There is nothing that can explain the cleanliness of the Stargates canonically speaking. The reason they're so clean is because they are props and must be used for multiple episodes. You don't shoot one whole episode at a time, you shoot multiple episodes at a time.

And the thing about snowflakes and sand was a reply to Rylor, not you. Way to read my posts clearly.

It's getting really hard to take you seriously anymore. I tried, I really did, but you just don't seem to listen to reason.
              sigpic

Comment

Greenfire. You are missing the point. Yes it is a prop. Destiny is CGI. Stargate is not real, it is a series so why discuss anyting at all? Close the forum than. We are here to discuss like if" They where real". We are fans and like to have explanations discuss about our beloved series. Even if they are totally unfeasible or not real.

What could happen is. We know Stargate can shake. They generate electricity maybe small electric fields that could repel small particles. The trembling and shanks could help the Stargate to stay above ground.
                Last edited by Steelbox; 23 November 2010, 04:40 AM.
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

*facepalm*

I get the point of the forums. I don't see the point of this particular one. That's all.

It's on par with trying to put all the plot holes and non-continuities into canon. It's a production goof up, period. There is no special cleaning system on the Stargate, it's some guy from Topeka Kansas with a rag and some sanitizer.
                  sigpic

Comment

*facepalm*

I get the point of the forums. I don't see the point of this particular one. That's all.

It's on par with trying to put all the plot holes and non-continuities into canon. It's a production goof up, period. There is no special cleaning system on the Stargate, it's some guy from Topeka Kansas with a rag and some sanitizer.
                    I'll requote my self.

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                    We are here to discuss like "If they where real". We are fans and like to have explanations discuss about our beloved series. Even if they are totally unfeasible or not real.
                    If it where real. What is your opinion? Is there some alien creature with a rag and sanitizer? That would have been a lot better than saying, "it's some guy from Topeka Kansas with a rag and some sanitizer". At least you would be in the spirit of this forum. Witch is exactly to pick things apart and try to insert them into canon.
                    Last edited by Steelbox; 23 November 2010, 10:19 AM.
                    sigpic
                    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Before I put this issue to rest and move on to real discussions about actually possible concepts of the Stargate Canon, let me just say my final opinions on "Self Cleaning Hidden Ramp Functions."

I think it's just as stupid as the Furlings, just as stupid as the 3-shots-disintegrates, and just as stupid as the Wormhole drive.

I really do hate being the bad guy, but there comes a point when you stop and say, "Am I being serious? Am I over-analyzing this?" and the answer is yes. This is clearly just a stab in the dark about something as inane as self cleaning ramps. The answer is right in front of us. There is no explanation, canonically speaking, that can solve the "mystery" of Clean Stargates and their ramps, because TPTB never thought the fans would over analyze this show to the point of absurdity.

Now I've said my piece. Good day gents, perhaps I'll see you in another thread. Perhaps not.
                      sigpic

Comment

The thing is, if we consider the Stargate Universe (no pun intended ) being real, there has to be some form of mechanism to prevent the gates from being buried under things like snow or sand, otherwise we would have seen gates buried like that. Why is it so hard to imagine a system like that exists? The characters' ships are flying around at faster-than-light speeds, they have teleportation technology, stargates last millions of years, but they can't have a self-cleaning system?
                        I respect your opinion, but I fail to understand why this particular issue is bothering you that much.

Anyway, a good day to you as well I hope you are not taking this personal in any way.
                        sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

The gates have no need for the ramps. This was proven in SG1 in the episode 1969. If looking for a 'what if' scenario for why they're usually pretty clean, then here it is: They're typically viewed as historical or holy in some way (they were the gateways of the gods for the Goa'uld slave worlds, left by the 'ancestors' for those in the Pegasus galaxy, etc). They were also mechanical so were likely encouraged to keep them clean (by the Goa'uld for some and the oral traditions for others) to help maintain their functionality. There are typically those in any culture whom tidy up historical and holy artifacts and places.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPaul View Post
                            Maybe when the gate senses its being buried in something little legs pop out of the bottom of it and it walks to a new location so it looks a giant walking donut and the ramp walks along behind it.
                            Those legs would have to be capable of lifting at least 64,000 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
                              It has never been clearly established how much matter is required inside the plane where the event horizon is forming to stop a wormhole. In "Aftermath" it is implied that even a small rock can block an incoming wormhole. If the gate is buried under 50 meters of snow or sand, I doubt that a wormhole can be established.
                              The situation in "A Hundred Days" was a little different. The gate was hit by meteorite while the wormhole was still active and the molten naquadah formed a natural iris just over the event horizon, so a wormhole could still connect. It was not truly buried.
                              It depends on how close the snow/sand is and how much there is/how dense it is. Take "Solitudes" for example. There was enough room to disintegrate the snow directly in front of the gate.

Comment

It actually known as a "Travel base" not a ramp. so im guessing the semantics suggests it is more than a ramp.

Comment

Working...
                                X