X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because it's cheaper to build a lcd the a holographic screen
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
      because it's cheaper to build a lcd the a holographic screen
      Well, you're not actually building the screen, you're building the device that projects the screen.

And may I ask how you know the expenses put into making an LCD display (if that is what the screens are) and a holographic projector? I haven't been to the Alteran Hardware store in a while, so I wouldn't know how much the parts cost.
      We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
      —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
      —Ricky Gervais

Comment

I wonder if it was a screen or a projector..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          I wonder if it was a screen or a projector..
          What?
          We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
          —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
          —Ricky Gervais

Comment

Seems fine to me. Destiny is an intergalactic vessel. Holographic display seems like child's play in comparison to many of the other technologies depicted. As for the layout of the screen, colors and such, they seem consistent with what we've seen on consoles and such.

Comment

Pontiac Bonnevilles had this tech (heads up display) so if advanced space ships don't then dang.

We already have interactive holographic displays of a more comparable nature though.

Last edited by Aesjos; 29 October 2010, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesjos View Post
                Pontiac Bonnevilles had this tech (heads up display) so if advanced space ships don't then dang.
                You mean this? LAWL. No, those are not comparable on a practical level.

We already have interactive holographic displays of a more comparable nature though.

[/QUOTE]

That doesn't look very intuitive to me. It almost looks like an image being projected onto a stream of gas or something. All he's doing is poking it and the picture changes back and fourth. It's an expensive motion detector.

Edit* haha, I just looked it up, and it's just projecting an image onto mist. Interesting piece of technology. It would look more cool if the mist was uniform, though. Maybe a plate of glass, like this.
                You could make a better quality projection with some curved glass, like this.
                —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

The light display in Stargate isn't even directly interactive (they never touch the projection, they use control panels) so it is somewhere in between the Bonneville HUD (which in reality could be made to project any and everything the Destiny one does, it's not limited to telling you simple things...) and heliothing.

All you really have to do is add a sophisticated motion sensor device to the kind of HUD tech that is in a Bonneville and you could create an interactive holographic display - that is more advanced then the one in Destiny (unless I've missed them actually interacting with the display directly as opposed to using a control panel and just looking at it) - today.

Comment

just because the hardware is a little damaged dosent meen the software has to be aswell
                    ''It's not what you have, it's how you use it.''

Comment

Originally posted by Benr96 View Post
                      just because the hardware is a little damaged dosent meen the software has to be aswell
                      Ever punched or kicked a laptop or desktop modem and turn it back on and have all the software work the way it's supposed to? Or have your basset hound pee on your PS1 and have it continue to play disks? (that last one is personal..)

Doesn't work like that...
                      —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

The reason they have a big screen is so more than one person can look at it at a time. With those tiny tablet-esque things, you have to pass it around, or have people look over your shoulders, which I'm sure some would hate. It's simple holographic technology, we've seen it with other races as well, that are not part of the 4 GR. It's not implausible, it's logical, it's not out of place, and who bloody well cares.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                          The reason they have a big screen is so more than one person can look at it at a time. With those tiny tablet-esque things, you have to pass it around, or have people look over your shoulders, which I'm sure some would hate. It's simple holographic technology, we've seen it with other races as well, that are not part of the 4 GR. It's not implausible, it's logical, it's not out of place, and who bloody well cares.
                          simple and understandable like all the LoS post , you have my green

Edit : why can't i green you ?
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
                            Ever punched or kicked a laptop or desktop modem and turn it back on and have all the software work the way it's supposed to? Or have your basset hound pee on your PS1 and have it continue to play disks? (that last one is personal..)

i mean like my computer looks recked ad he outside of it has been bashed around so much but it works fine, its like destiny it has bits of its outside all broken but it still works fine , and there are a lot of systems that probably don't work but, i think what i really ment to say was just because some of the hardware is messed up dosent mean all the software cant work, like say if the life support didnt work because the machine was broken, it dosent mean that the hud kind of things wudnt work . like my phone, it got wet and the bluetooth thing got damaged but everything else works perfectly.
                            ''It's not what you have, it's how you use it.''

Comment

It's the same display!

I meant something a little more...primitive, for lack of a better word. Something that looks older than that thing. I understand "If it works well, why replace it" but come on...it just...ugh. It looks too nice. The rest of the ship is crumbling, and here's this convenient crystal-clear holo-screen.
                              don't forget this! you can't improve on perfection!

Comment

Except that with the Destiny and its already mentioned very robust systems, it very well might. Lots of things can take a hell of a beating and still continue working. Destiny's like a Timex that way
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X