No announcement yet.

Reaching Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about this the other day, wouldn't it be possible to take Atlantis to another Icarus-type planet and integrate the city with the planets core for more power? The Lanteans did something of that nature with the drilling platform that the Atlantis Expedition discovered. So it seems possible that they could touchdown on an Icarus-type planet, spend a little time setting up a secondary power system that flows directly from the planets core to the gate, letting the ZPM's power the rest of the city.

Also, isn't it true that the core went critical from the combined trauma of dialing Destiny AND the attack from the Lucian Alliance? There's no guarantee that another attack would happen, so it may be safe to use Atlantis in that manner. Even if it did happen again, Atlantis could disconnect the wormhole and take off into hyperspace before it was too late (though some serious calculations would probably need to be done by just about every whiz the SGC has in order to know when the right time to leave would be).

Comment

The planet exploded the first time because the core was already unstable from the Alliance firing on the planet. The second time, Rush hadn't properly calibrated the power systems, resulting in a similar instability.

To the question, no, Atlantis couldn't just be integrated like that. They'd need a link straight to the core, for starters. Probably requires more than a drilling rig to manage that. Getting the power to the gate would likely be easier.

Comment

The Icarus base essentially an integration of human/ancient tech with the planets core, wasn't it? Couldn't they feasibly do the same thing they did at Icarus only direct it, say, into a designated conduit to Atlantis' gate? They could probably send a science team to begin preparations long before Atlantis arrives, then Atlantis could land where they need to and the connection could be ready and waiting.

I don't know, I'm sure there's some science I'm not considering. But it seems plausible.
        Last edited by Aesop; 06 November 2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

If they really put their minds to it, they could. Reminds me of a joke from the Superman Doomsday animated movie about plugging a power cord into Satan.

Comment

Something that just came into my mind. Remember the terraforming Aliens from the SG1 Episode? Where some people are colonized on a planet, then suddenly an alien ship appears terraforming the planet for their own race?

They found the home planet, by looking into the ships database which scanned a lot of planets to find a new planet to rebuild the race. Why not sent a 304 there and ask them: Hey, you may have seen an icarus like planet during your journey? ^^

Not sure if someone brought this up yet... but would be an idea

Comment

Originally posted by Velocy View Post
              Something that just came into my mind. Remember the terraforming Aliens from the SG1 Episode? Where some people are colonized on a planet, then suddenly an alien ship appears terraforming the planet for their own race?

They found the home planet, by looking into the ships database which scanned a lot of planets to find a new planet to rebuild the race. Why not sent a 304 there and ask them: Hey, you may have seen an icarus like planet during your journey? ^^

Not sure if someone brought this up yet... but would be an idea
              neat idea, but we don't know where it is

Comment

@Aesop: As far as I am informed the problem is not dialing when you have an Icarus-type planet, it is finding such a planet. Rush only dialed Destiny because he thought that they would never again find a similar planet. It is very surprising they even found a second one (actually I think that was a case of bad writing).

@Velocy: That is a cool idea, but we dont know if this ship is already back from the enkaran home planet and if it is, it would be complicated to communicate since Lotan stayed with the enkarans.

Btw, did no one notice that the gif from the first post doesnt show the whole course of destiny? After the camera moves away you can still hear bleeps indicating more explored galaxies.

Comment

Every time the "counter" reached another galaxy, it made a small beeping noise.

There were many more beeps heard off screen than were witnessed visually on screen. The destiny is farther than that gif suggests.
                  sigpic
                  ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
                    So we know Earth has Asgard intergalactic-hyperdrives, and those take around a minute or so to get from the Ida Galaxy to our own. But even if we didn't have those, it took the Daedalus a few weeks to cross the gap between Earth and Pegasus. And they are relatively close together (in astrophysics, at least).

So looking at this:

*Mod insert : click link to view animated image at wikia.
                    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Flightpath.gif

I'd say it would take a ship with an Asgard IGH less than a week to travel that distance, and that's being generous. And the Daedalus a few months.

So knowing this, Earth could easily reach the Destiny within a year or two, maybe three. The drives the Destiny uses are far inferior to a hyperdrive, so they could catch up to them.

Now this is the part where I'm supposed to ask "Why don't they do it if they can?" But we all know that would do horrific things to the plot, and that's not what the writers want (or what the viewers want to see, for that matter)

So the real question is, can they really reach the Destiny if they want to?
                    It's all about how much power you're pumping into the hyperdrive. When powered by a ZPM and the Asgard Intergalactic Hyperdrive, the Daedalus could travel between Earth and Lantea in 4 days. The more energy you pump into a hyperdrive, the faster/further it goes. In order to go as fast as the Asgard ships, you need an Asgard ship.

Spoiler: SG-1 Unending
                    Spoiler:
                    And the Asgard aren't around anymore

Since we can't get an Asgard ship, we just need to make our Asgard hyperdrives faster, such as by utilizing their ion drives from the Beliskner and O'neill class ships.

Currently, the answer is no. They can't reach Destiny in that timeframe given our current ship speeds.

Comment

The "Faith" aliens could possibly help. They "magically" plopped the shuttle into that galaxy. They could easily pop the Hammond to Destiny's position.

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                        The "Faith" aliens could possibly help. They "magically" plopped the shuttle into that galaxy. They could easily pop the Hammond to Destiny's position.
                        they probably don't know the Hammond and most like about Earth either

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                          I know, but I meant that it is possible to randomly plop from one point in space to another. That may be what Destiny's mission is.

Comment

If the Faithliens are ascended beings after all (who don't share the "Don't interfere" policy with the Ancients) then it's very possible they do know about Earth.

If I was a Faithlien, I would help out only when it's absolutely necessary, because let's face it, if you were looking down on the happenings of SGU it would be pretty interesting to watch this whole thing play out would it not?

I wouldn't give the ant colony their food, but I'd help them find a way to it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                              If the Faithliens are ascended beings after all (who don't share the "Don't interfere" policy with the Ancients) then it's very possible they do know about Earth.

If I was a Faithlien, I would help out only when it's absolutely necessary, because let's face it, if you were looking down on the happenings of SGU it would be pretty interesting to watch this whole thing play out would it not?

I wouldn't give the ant colony their food, but I'd help them find a way to it.
                              Ascended beings aren't all knowing, assuming they are ascended beings

Comment

Ascended beings aren't all knowing, assuming they are ascended beings
                                There are many plains of existence. Some below ascended Ancients and some above. We cannot discount that a being higher than an Ancient isn't all knowing or at least aware of vast quantities of the universe.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X