Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dii-Reno View Post
    That supports my point.
    Exactly. The Ancients wanted their gates to be accessible only to races that are advanced enough to handle the Stargate technology psychologically and technologically advanced enough to make the gate work. However, we don't know anything about what powers the gates themselves, whether it is in the ramp, through the remote, etc.

Comment

Well, in SG1 they said the power source was in the DHD. The actual gate was just the warmhole creation portion of the device. If I was gonna drop these things automatically from orbit, I'd probably have the power source in the platform. That way the thing could drop open up and raise the gate vertically.

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
        The Stargates are made of naquadah, and therefore the gates themselves cannot burn out (like Orlin's gate, which burned out after one use because it was not made of the superconductive element Naquadah).
        What I was getting at here too was that Orlan's gate proved that they don't need to be made of naquadah to work, so being an earlier model, they might burn out depending on the materials and construction. Recently, I have been leaning back toward the Destiny gates being made of naquadah, because of how durable they have been.
        My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post
          What I was getting at here too was that Orlan's gate proved that they don't need to be made of naquadah to work, so being an earlier model, they might burn out depending on the materials and construction. Recently, I have been leaning back toward the Destiny gates being made of naquadah, because of how durable they have been.
          I'm pretty sure I heard some reference in the series to specifically prove that the gates are made of naquadah.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I heard some reference in the series to specifically prove that the gates are made of naquadah.
            In SGU and talking about Destiny gates?

Comment

In SGU and talking about Destiny gates?
              Yeah, in Aftermath, Eli said that he heard that an explosion big enough could detonate the super-conductive material the gate is made of when they were going to use C4 to unbury the gate.
              Last edited by sgc; 30 November 2010, 02:30 PM. Reason: incorrect quote

Comment

Yeah, in Aftermath, Eli said that he heard that an explosion big enough could detonate the naquadah the gate is made of when they were going to use C4 to unbury the gate.
                Aha! Found the quote from the transcript:

WALLACE (nervously): You know, I think I remember reading somewhere that a big enough explosion close enough to a Stargate can ... can detonate the super-conductive material that it's made of. The resulting explosion can take a chunk out of a planet!
                Interesting, that he didn't call it naquadah, guess it could be another super-conductive material? Although it's probably a thing with not confusing new viewers or something...

Still, while there is no indication that there is any limit on the Destiny gates (other than not being able to dial every gate in their respective galaxy) or that they burn out, I'm hoping for an episode with some stargate malfunctions. I think with something that's based on a design that could be older than Destiny itself, there could be a few problems.

Comment

Aha! Found the quote from the transcript:

Interesting, that he didn't call it naquadah, guess it could be another super-conductive material? Although it's probably a thing with not confusing new viewers or something...

Still, while there is no indication that there is any limit on the Destiny gates (other than not being able to dial every gate in their respective galaxy) or that they burn out, I'm hoping for an episode with some stargate malfunctions. I think with something that's based on a design that could be older than Destiny itself, there could be a few problems.
                  Oh, I could have sworn he said naquadah. You're probably right about it being a thing about not confusing viewers, though.

I think that the limit on Destiny gates is solely about power requirements. The more power you pump into it, the farther it will go.

Comment

Working...
                  X