No announcement yet.

Destiny must have self repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I wanted to discuss self repair systems, and the likelihood of that kind of stuff, and whether people think it is or is not operating, the why's and how's and such. Some people like Mike, appeared that they simply wanted to fight.

Yes I have had a formal education in science, but it is a pointless question. I am not about to point you to my old alma mater, so either you take it as an article of faith or you don't.

The apparent longevity of Ancient technology has never been explained, I doubt the writers ever will to tell you the truth. I am definitely on the skeptical side, when it comes to finding 10 and 50 million year old devices in working order. In fact, the whole Ancient race and ascension in general was one of the weaker plot devices of the entire 3 series if you ask me.

So if they are going to use the Ancients and/or relics they left behind, I would prefer if they did it in a different way than they have in the previous series. No revolving door ascension, no Ancients popping up to save their bacon, and definitely no working relics appearing without some kind of explanation. An explanation just a little more satisfying than "the Ancients built it, it lasts forever".

If the Ancients built it and it lasts forever, why is it "falling apart" now? How could it have been damaged at all? Why were all the linens in the crew quarters intact, but life support was failing? How could there be so many hull breaches, without even one drive module being hit?

I know a lot of people think these are just great plot twists and air tight writing, but I am not convinced. You would have to think pretty creatively to make the bed sheets lasting longer than the air scrubber into anything other than a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
      Well, I wanted to discuss self repair systems, and the likelihood of that kind of stuff, and whether people think it is or is not operating, the why's and how's and such. Some people like Mike, appeared that they simply wanted to fight.
      No, he didn't... he wanted to debate sure... but debating and fighting are very very different.

Yes I have had a formal education in science, but it is a pointless question. I am not about to point you to my old alma mater, so either you take it as an article of faith or you don't.
      Well its not a pointless question as you seem to have trouble grasping some basic concepts, and really don't quite understand them

The apparent longevity of Ancient technology has never been explained, I doubt the writers ever will to tell you the truth. I am definitely on the skeptical side, when it comes to finding 10 and 50 million year old devices in working order. In fact, the whole Ancient race and ascension in general was one of the weaker plot devices of the entire 3 series if you ask me.
      It has been explained, the ancients were the most advanced race that ever lived.. fact.. this is established stargate canon. Mike pointed out a few things that we can build now that can last for quite a long time, when the ancients built Destiny there were at least a couple of thousand years more advanced then humans are now, so its logical to assume that they would be able to build some very sturdy technology. Also the 'apparent longevity of ancient technology' is the premise of the original movie, and SG1 and SGA.. the stargates remember? they're almost as old as Destiny, some could argue even older given the descrepencies with Destinys age

So if they are going to use the Ancients and/or relics they left behind, I would prefer if they did it in a different way than they have in the previous series. No revolving door ascension, no Ancients popping up to save their bacon, and definitely no working relics appearing without some kind of explanation. An explanation just a little more satisfying than "the Ancients built it, it lasts forever".
      Again, the entire premise of the franchise is the stargate network, the MW one is millions of years old at least. and the majority of stargates are in working order. It may not be air tight science as far as we know, but its not science, its science fiction and in this science fiction, this particular race were capable of building technology that was very very sturdy and would last millions of years. If you can't accept that I don't know how you can even watch the show.

If the Ancients built it and it lasts forever, why is it "falling apart" now? How could it have been damaged at all? Why were all the linens in the crew quarters intact, but life support was failing? How could there be so many hull breaches, without even one drive module being hit?
      It doesn't last forever, just a very long time, and its not just falling apart now, its probably being falling apart for thousands of years, maybe even millions. Its very possible that the majority of the damage is from one encounter with some one/thing that did damage to the ship a million years ago, or perhaps the damage is from the blue aliens, they don't want to destroy destiny, just get aboard so they obviously wouldn't want to do too much damage to the ship and since they can't predict how the engines would react to weapons fire they didn't aim there. Or perhaps the ship, which as we've seen has some form of basic A.I. on it focused the shield power on the engines and other critical systems when under attack before the crew arrived, as its prority wasn't keeping people alive, but rather protecting its mission.

As for the crew linens thats a good question, but this isn't a documentary, Im sure tptb could throw 20 explanations at you but even in the best sci-fi some small details have to be overlooked, or edited out of the script to fit the 42 minute format

I know a lot of people think these are just great plot twists and air tight writing, but I am not convinced. You would have to think pretty creatively to make the bed sheets lasting longer than the air scrubber into anything other than a mistake.
      Again thats a tiny detail, very insignificant, but keep in mind they are probably made of some synthetic ancient fiber, which when not used and possible kept in a vaccum can last a very long time.

and If you have such a problem with the writing of Stargate, why do you watch the show?
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

There is that "lasts a very long time" thing again. You keep saying how I don't have an understanding of the 3 laws of thermodynamics. You are of course entitled to your opinions, but it seems to me you are the one with the weak grasp of them. The fact that you think it perfectly reasonable that millions of years old things can just be found in good working order is what gives me this impression. You really seem to believe that the Ancients creating things resistant or even immune to entropy is a reasonable proposition.

Well, anyone who wants to discuss a self repair system on Destiny, and what form that system might take, and stuff like that, speak up now.

Comment

There is that "lasts a very long time" thing again. You keep saying how I don't have an understanding of the 3 laws of thermodynamics. You are of course entitled to your opinions, but it seems to me you are the one with the weak grasp of them. The fact that you think it perfectly reasonable that millions of years old things can just be found in good working order is what gives me this impression. You really seem to believe that the Ancients creating things resistant or even immune to entropy is a reasonable proposition.

Well, anyone who wants to discuss a self repair system on Destiny, and what form that system might take, and stuff like that, speak up now.
          Its the premise of the show, the stargates... seriously.. they can last on planets and in space for that same very long amount of time, then why can't Destiny?

Also just FYI..... 10 - 50 million years is actually less then forever

Comment

But you're the one always starting the argument, by attacking or dimissing anyone who doesn't agree with you.

You may remember that a few pages back I agreed that it would make sense if there was a self repair system, but that there just hadn’t been any evidence of one, beyond circumstantial. But you keep demanding that there HAS to be one, which is the whole problem and why you’re not getting the type of feedback you supposedly want.

Btw, I think it would be a hoot to watch an episode of SGU in person with you sometime. I get the impression you’d be screaming out stuff like, “Oh no, don’t the writers know that toilets don’t flush counterclockwise in space?!! This show is unwatchable!!” While I’d be like, “Did you see how cool that toilet flushing effect was? Those ancients really knew how to build a crapper!”

Could be a fun time, yes…no?

Comment

[...]
              It seems you have 'missed' my previous post.

All your arguments have been disproved.
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                It seems you have 'missed' my previous post.

All your arguments have been disproved.
                Actually he said he had stopped reading your posts because you just wanted to fight haha

Again kwlafayette, You think it impossible that Destiny can last millions of years and still be functional, but you have no problem with the stargates from SG1 being the same age and being in excellent condition, its one of the core fiction elements of this particular sci-fi franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                  Actually he said he had stopped reading your posts because you just wanted to fight haha
                  Hence the ' '
                  It was never my intention to start a fight, his posts were just so easy to pick apart that it may have looked like that to him.

Comment

Originally posted by HaMm3r View Post
                    You may remember that a few pages back I agreed that it would make sense if there was a self repair system, but that there just hadn’t been any evidence of one, beyond circumstantial. But you keep demanding that there HAS to be one, which is the whole problem and why you’re not getting the type of feedback you supposedly want.
                    I don't really care about what has been shown already, I am speculating here about something that is eventually going to have to be shown or dealt with. If all we are allowed to discuss is what has actually been shown, then there is not that much to talk about.

Truthfully, I am beginning to lose interest in this show. Incursion part one was just so weak. Some of the characters, like Greer, simply do not make any sense. That guy would have been dishonorably discharged long before making sgt., just because of the obvious rage problems and lack of respect for his superior officers. Young, complete mystery how he ever made colonel, or even gets his pants on in the morning. His wife must be the daughter of someone important, or he is somebody's nephew or something. He simply seems incapable of making a life or death decision, while it matters. At best, he would have been enlisted for life, never made officer. Scott seems like just a young version of Young, all the same problems of no leadership. If the writing for the characters is this bad, there really is no hope for the science in the series. Unless part two is masterful, and explains a lot of things, there is just no point wasting any time watching season 2.

Comment

Funny how when main characters in the previous series didnt made life and death choices they were not bashed to kingdom come....
                      Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment

I don't really care about what has been shown already, I am speculating here about something that is eventually going to have to be shown or dealt with. If all we are allowed to discuss is what has actually been shown, then there is not that much to talk about.

Truthfully, I am beginning to lose interest in this show. Incursion part one was just so weak. Some of the characters, like Greer, simply do not make any sense. That guy would have been dishonorably discharged long before making sgt., just because of the obvious rage problems and lack of respect for his superior officers. Young, complete mystery how he ever made colonel, or even gets his pants on in the morning. His wife must be the daughter of someone important, or he is somebody's nephew or something. He simply seems incapable of making a life or death decision, while it matters. At best, he would have been enlisted for life, never made officer. Scott seems like just a young version of Young, all the same problems of no leadership. If the writing for the characters is this bad, there really is no hope for the science in the series. Unless part two is masterful, and explains a lot of things, there is just no point wasting any time watching season 2.
                        So when your wrong about something right away its the shows fault and not yours.. fantastic logic.. really great.. just if you feel that strongly about the show then I wouldn't bother coming onto the forum, I doubt you'd be missed

Comment

I am glad you understand just how bad the writing in this show appears to be. Good that you have finally come around.

And swarm, good luck keeping the show on the air with one fan.

Comment

ONE fan?
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I am glad you understand just how bad the writing in this show appears to be. Good that you have finally come around.

And swarm, good luck keeping the show on the air with one fan.
                              Why are you still here if you hate it so much ? Just so you can bash the show... ? It's not helping anyone.

May the almighty mods make use of the banhammer and cast out this troll forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                                Why are you still here if you hate it so much ? Just so you can bash the show... ?
                                I've been wondering the same thing. Sadly though, kwlafayette's threads have the potential to be great contributions and points of discussion. He clearly puts a lot of thought and effort into many of them, and strongly believes that his ideas are good ones. Unfortunately, no one else agrees and that just pisses him off.

kwlafayette, there are some other forums out there for people who hate SGU like you. Maybe you'd be happier there? They're just a google search away...

Comment

Working...
                                X