No announcement yet.

Are the gates lacking DHD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember I saw someone post somewhere in the forum before that it was said on SG1 at one point that a gates range is limited to 300 light years when no DHD is available... I think it was from one of the aschen episodes but I may be wrong....

The lack of DHD's could just be a supplies issue for the seeder ships, the ancients knew figured that needing to build all those DHD's with the gates would need considerable more power and effort and so decided against it, though I prefer the theory that the ancients hadn't even considered the idea of having gates all over a galaxy as an intragalactic transport system when they launched the Destiny, after it was launched they saw found a way to safely increase power and get rid of the distance limits by including a DHD and so started placing them at colonies around the MW and eventually decided to seed loads of planets so that one day evil alien lords impersonating gods could easily transport slaves
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

The gates don't have or need DHD's because they themselves detect the other gates nearby and relay the information to the hand held device.
      This is also the reason they can only dial gates near them, and also the reason they can dial gates relatively nearby in a spacial sense.
      Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

My thinking is that the Ancients explored the universe through Stargates instead of Ships. First, a seeder ship is sent out to plant the gates on planets it comes across. Second, Destiny (and possibly other ships) follow up and test the gates/scan planets with gates on them. Info from the seeder ship is relayed to Destiny (and possibly other ships) in order to determine the path in wich it travels.

Finally, the Ancients themselves come down to planets deemed "habitable" or worth colonizing. It is at this time that the destiny gate is dismantled and the "Milky Way" model is installed (later of course the Pegasus Model replaces the Milky Way model).

Just my thinking of how it might work. Just think, there could be hundreds of Destiny gates in the Milky Way, but since they're on planets deemed "hostile" or not worth colonizing, they remain direlect and unusable-cut off from the main gate system.
        sigpic
        ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          Just my thinking of how it might work. Just think, there could be hundreds of Destiny gates in the Milky Way, but since they're on planets deemed "hostile" or not worth colonizing, they remain direlect and unusable-cut off from the main gate system.
          Me likey
          I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

My thinking is that the Ancients explored the universe through Stargates instead of Ships. First, a seeder ship is sent out to plant the gates on planets it comes across. Second, Destiny (and possibly other ships) follow up and test the gates/scan planets with gates on them. Info from the seeder ship is relayed to Destiny (and possibly other ships) in order to determine the path in wich it travels.

Finally, the Ancients themselves come down to planets deemed "habitable" or worth colonizing. It is at this time that the destiny gate is dismantled and the "Milky Way" model is installed (later of course the Pegasus Model replaces the Milky Way model).

Perhaps, when Destiny and the seeders were closer to Earth the Ancients would have gotten that information directly.
            Last edited by jsonitsac; 10 May 2010, 07:29 PM. Reason: maybe not

Comment

or they dont get correlative updates and as such arent accessible

Comment

I am starting SG1 all over again and watched The First Commandment yesterday. When Carter opens up the Goa'uld radiation shield device, she says something such as it has components the same as the DHD. The Goa'uld obviously built the device, and actually know a heck a lot about the DHDs (Baal). Could they have reversed engineered the DHDs from the MW gates? Meaning the MW gates originally did not have DHDs. It's a little farfetched due to Pegasus had DHDs of their own.

Comment

That seems unlikely. A Stargate isn't that large, it's hard to fit some things though them. Thats why they sent Destiny. She would have all the big stuff they needed. Also, one gate works as well as the next why replace them?
                  sigpicSGU PARTY AT MY PLACE!!

Comment

I'm surprised the Ancients didn't intend the gate system to be used by other races. I always thought of them as peaceful and benevolent. Kinda like bridge builders.

Comment

Originally posted by gildor23 View Post
                      That seems unlikely. A Stargate isn't that large, it's hard to fit some things though them. Thats why they sent Destiny. She would have all the big stuff they needed.
                      That has nothing to do with his position. He argues that the prototype-style 'Gates would eventually be replaced with more advanced 'Gates on viable worlds. He made no argument as to how this would be accomplished.

Also, one gate works as well as the next why replace them?
                      One 'Gate does not work as well as another. See "Lost" for a very clear example of this fact.

I'm surprised the Ancients didn't intend the gate system to be used by other races. I always thought of them as peaceful and benevolent. Kinda like bridge builders.
                      If the bridge is still under construction, you don't want people using it.
                      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                        That has nothing to do with his position. He argues that the prototype-style 'Gates would eventually be replaced with more advanced 'Gates on viable worlds. He made no argument as to how this would be accomplished.

One 'Gate does not work as well as another. See "Lost" for a very clear example of this fact.

If the bridge is still under construction, you don't want people using it.
                        First. Greenfire32 opened his statement with "My thinking is that the Ancients explored the universe through Stargates instead of Ships." My opening line disagrees with that because of size issues.
                        Second. The gates in SGU seem to be only inhibited by the same restrictions that any gate is subject to when it lacks a DHD. In "Lost" I believe they were only able to go to gates within the 300 light year range, which I believe is a restriction of all gates without a DHD.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                        Third. Kudos on the bridge comment, you're right about that.

Comment

First. Greenfire32 opened his statement with "My thinking is that the Ancients explored the universe through Stargates instead of Ships." My opening line disagrees with that because of size issues.
                          I think that size issues would probably be the least significant problem such a plan would have - most notably the need to use a ship to put the Stargates on planets.

However, the plan that he describes (send automated seeder ships, then upgrade the 'Gates of planets that look promising) seems like a viable plan.

Second. The gates in SGU seem to be only inhibited by the same restrictions that any gate is subject to when it lacks a DHD. In "Lost" I believe they were only able to go to gates within the 300 light year range, which I believe is a restriction of all gates without a DHD.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                          A. They never established in "Lost" what the Stargates' ranges are, just that there are only a handful of other Stargates within range of any particular 'Gate.

B. IIRC, the range limit of Stargates without DHDs comes from stellar drift messing with the addresses, which the DHDs correct. This means that the "range limit" isn't a hard limit, but rather something that only develops after a long time without a DHD. When a Stargate first looses its DHD, there is no loss of range; however, its range gets shorter and shorter as more and more addresses move out of alignment.

Therefore, without knowing how old the Universe Stargates are, there is no way of knowing whether their range limit is due to the lack of a DHD.

Third. Kudos on the bridge comment, you're right about that.
                          Thanks!
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I'm pretty sure they established that the Earth gate has a limit just because it isn't using a DHD. Also DHD's have a set range anyway even with the computer upgrades that compensate for stellar drift. I could be wrong, I'll do some looking.

Comment

This has always bothered me about SGU, the lack of DHDs on the planets. Why put down the gates and not put down a method of using them? The Ancients seeded the MW and Pegasus galaxies with gates and dropped DHDs right next to them so people could use them. Do they just not care about possible life in other galaxies? They opposed the goa'uld but didn't seem to mind them using the gates, so why do all the other galaxies visited by the seeder ships get screwed? We have seen many primitive cultures using the gates for travel and the ascended Ancients never seemed to mind and smote the DHDs so they couldn't use them, so I don't think the argument that they didn't want to advance other societies is correct.

I know we have the "remote" which can dial the gate, and the Ancients would have had it too, but it seems stupid to rely on that gizmo so much. How many of those things are there, because we have seen them broken before and Destiny had to send replacements before they could gate back.

Also, the bulk of the DHD is taken up by the generator which powers the gate (space gates have the generator in their orbital thrusters) so we are expected to believe that the little hand-held remote is able to repeatedly power the gate "wirelessly" using technology which is far older than the later DHDs.

(Before you start, yes I know Tealc had a little handheld device which could power the gate in SG:Continuum, but it at least had to be in physical contact with the gate to supply the power and dial it)

Your telling me the remote can do that from afar? Even the dialers in the puddlejumpers just dialed the gate, they didn't power it. The only place we have seen anything like that before was in the corny "Cassandra" ending of 1969 when she started the gate with "magic" basically (remember the wormhole formed all funny) and since that was early in the series that can't be considered to be matured "canon," since nothing like it was ever seen again.

Comment

There's no DHDs because it's not like the Milky Way and Pegasus. Those galaxies had gates seeded everywhere in the galaxy as a transit system. These gates are short range and meant to be used as a teleporter of sorts by Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X