Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think maintaining the wormhole requires most of the energy over such a large distance. The puddle that takes care of the dematerialization is less important, sending is the hard part. The actual wormhole could be of plank width (really f***n small ) , in both cases.
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

But then you would NEED a ZPM first! And it is not like ZPM's can be bought on a offworld market or in a shop

Its ! He is watching you!!

Comment

Id say it would take lots and lots of ZPMS together to be able to dial it... earth has a handful of them at most which are all being used to defend the planet and atlantis and what not..

Also something that just occured to me... The ancients weren't planning on dialling the destiny after a million years or whatever length of time has passed... they were planning on dialling it probably after a hundred years or so... no more then a thousand years anyway.. Which would require a lot lot lot less power then to dial it when its a billion light years away (They probably would have been able to make a power source to dial it that far away but when they were going to go there, a single ZPM or 3 ZPMs together would probably have sufficed)

As for Eli's equation from Air.. I got the impression that it was more to do with getting the highest amount of power into the gate without damaging it or blowing it up, while at the same time not causing the planet to become unstable, which as Rush would have figured if he got the most energy possible into the gate then that would have been enough to dial the 9th chevron.
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
          Id say it would take lots and lots of ZPMS together to be able to dial it... earth has a handful of them at most which are all being used to defend the planet and atlantis and what not..

Also something that just occured to me... The ancients weren't planning on dialling the destiny after a million years or whatever length of time has passed... they were planning on dialling it probably after a hundred years or so... no more then a thousand years anyway.. Which would require a lot lot lot less power then to dial it when its a billion light years away (They probably would have been able to make a power source to dial it that far away but when they were going to go there, a single ZPM or 3 ZPMs together would probably have sufficed)

As for Eli's equation from Air.. I got the impression that it was more to do with getting the highest amount of power into the gate without damaging it or blowing it up, while at the same time not causing the planet to become unstable, which as Rush would have figured if he got the most energy possible into the gate then that would have been enough to dial the 9th chevron.
          We don't know when the Ancients planned on going to Destiny, they may have already been there and left. My guess is that they would have planned on going long after they sent it. Thousands of years at least. I just don't see the seeder ships having enough time to really seed that many gates in just a few hundred years.
          I don't think the long distance is what takes so much more power than a ZPM. They can already dial another galaxy which is quite far away. I think the majority of the power is used finding where Destiny is. Dialing a gate that you have an exact location for should take less power. Like they said in "Air" the 9 symbol address isn't really an address, its more of a code. To use the telephone analogy that has been used before. 7 symbols is like a phone number in your area code. 8 symbols is like a number out of your area code. The 9 symbol code is like the red phone on the president's desk. It's a direct line. You need an exact location to establish a wormhole. Destiny's location is always changing. My guess is that when you dial the 9 chevron code the gate sends a message through subspace that covers the entire universe (which would take a lot of power). Once Destiny is located it drops out of FTL and allows a connection to be made, which may not take much more power than dialing Pegasus.

I could be wrong but it make sense to me.

Comment

While Pegasus is quite far away, its practically next door when you consider how far away Destiny is. While finding Destiny may take some power, its nothing when compared to the power required to maintain a stable wormhole. But Yes, finding Destiny would still require a lot of power.

The Ancients intended to travel to Destiny at least a few hundred to a couple thousand years after it launch. However it was most likely abandoned when hyperdrives were created, and then the discovery of Ascension.

I just thought of something. Remember the device that Anubis used as a gate buster. Is it possible that its original intended use was for supplying enough power to a gate to dial Destiny?
            Why are there six pedals and only four directions?
            -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
            Walter - Spin? Si-sir, it doesn't spin.
            What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Comment

Originally posted by deltaCain054 View Post
              I just thought of something. Remember the device that Anubis used as a gate buster. Is it possible that its original intended use was for supplying enough power to a gate to dial Destiny?
              Wouldn't it have had to have been located on Earth to dial the Destiny, Earth Point of Origin and all?

Besides I don’t believe that device was originally designed to blow up Stargates, Why would the Ancients want to blow up one of their own gates, it doesn’t make sense. More likely Anubis learned of its location when he Ascended and also learnt how to modify it from its original function (possibly as some kind of power generator or power transfer device?) to channel energy into the wormhole until the receiving gate overloads.
              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
              "That he is concealing something."
              "Like what?"
              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                Wouldn't it have had to have been located on Earth to dial the Destiny, Earth Point of Origin and all?

Besides I don’t believe that device was originally designed to blow up Stargates, Why would the Ancients want to blow up one of their own gates, it doesn’t make sense. More likely Anubis learned of its location when he Ascended and also learnt how to modify it from its original function (possibly as some kind of power generator or power transfer device?) to channel energy into the wormhole until the receiving gate overloads.
                No you don't have to be on Earth to Dial destiny.

And that was kind of my point. I think the devices original intent was to power a gate to allow travel to Destiny. It is capable of creating that much power, and would have taken less power to dial Destiny when the Ancients were still around.
                -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
                What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Comment

Recording to Stargate Atlantis Final Episode Yes And with the use of 3 Atlantis coud jump next to Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by Jhary View Post
                    Recording to Stargate Atlantis Final Episode Yes And with the use of 3 Atlantis coud jump next to Destiny
                    So many things were wrong with EatG that you can't possibly use that as a reference, not without other stuff backing it up.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

With the wormhole drive I think distance would still be a factor as far as power is concerned, so no you would still need more than 3 ZPMs.

In any case, what do you guys think about the gatebuster being designed to dial destiny? yea or nay?
                      -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

Nay. A ZPM can blow up a whole solar system and it's still not enough. A gatebuster is much weaker.

Comment

I was talking about the device Anubis used to destroy the Earth gate. It is capable of supplying enough power to overload a gate.
                          -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

Right. Sorry.

Just FYI, the "gatebuster" name is already taken, it's a Mark IX is a naquadria enhanced nuclear bomb. It was used to try and destroy the gate on the planet the Ori collapsed into a black hole to power a supergate. The gatebuter was used again to blow up the gate that was keeping another supergate open. Several were also used against the Asurans.

You meant this:

^^
                            Yeah, I guess it could dial Destiny, though we don't actually know its original intended purpose. Too bad it was destroyed...

Comment

My guess is NO since it took a planet of naquadria blowing up to dial destiny the one time it was done. Maybe if you daisy chained several zpm's for the power but ud still need a gate whos capacitors wouldnt blow up with that much power in them, and some kinda wiring that wouldnt melt/explode with that much power running through them.

I kinda think even the asgard and wraith would struggle with that one...

Comment

Yeah i knew gate buster was taken, but i couldn't think of a proper name.

As for needing "a planet of naquadria blowing up to dial destiny", it wasn't necessary to dial Destiny. Icarus exploded as a result of the orbital bombardment. The naquadria core was required to power a gate as far as it could be powered with out destroying it and keep a constant power supply. This could have been achieved without the core exploding. I was talking about the device being used back when the Ancients were around. It would no longer be able to supply the constant amount of power to keep the wormhole active because Destiny is so far away.
                                -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

Working...
                                X