No announcement yet.

Repairing the destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they found a planet with naquada on it, could they pull together a generator? Rush or Eli seem to have the skills to make it happen, and Greer's good at improvising things.

Comment

kymeric

People are not satisfied just to follow the plot a writer comes up with, especially when he is not respecting his own stories consistency.

A wolf talking can be attributed to magic in many settings and the reader has a easy time coming to term with it because there is no thing prohibiting it(in the setting).

Let me ask you a question? If I come it to you and told you that the sky was purple, money grows on trees and politicians and lawyers are actually nice people, what would you do? Would you say its not so or try to come with a explanation that makes it true when you know it isn't.

Consistency of a story adds to its quality. Inconsistencies detracts from it.

Also in a scifi story you can come up with a lot of things. Its when you go into where things are impossible even by our understanding of the universe do people have a problem with it. In fantasy you can get away with just about everything if you respect your internal consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Laertes View Post
        If they found a planet with naquada on it, could they pull together a generator? Rush or Eli seem to have the skills to make it happen, and Greer's good at improvising things.
        Short answer....

No.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
          kymeric

People are not satisfied just to follow the plot a writer comes up with, especially when he is not respecting his own stories consistency.

A wolf talking can be attributed to magic in many settings and the reader has a easy time coming to term with it because there is no thing prohibiting it(in the setting).

Let me ask you a question? If I come it to you and told you that the sky was purple, money grows on trees and politicians and lawyers are actually nice people, what would you do? Would you say its not so or try to come with a explanation that makes it true when you know it isn't.

Consistency of a story adds to its quality. Inconsistencies detracts from it.

Also in a scifi story you can come up with a lot of things. Its when you go into where things are impossible even by our understanding of the universe do people have a problem with it. In fantasy you can get away with just about everything if you respect your internal consistency.
          Depends on the situation and why were talking, If it was pleasant I would probably humor you and play along. A written story is different, nothing is impossible, there could be a million reasons why something is different at one point in the story than another, particularly in serial fiction.

I think you can excuse anything, heck even make a good story out of it. Like the explanation why klingons looked different in TOS and later Trek.

Comment

Okay I'm gonna humor you if you want to excuse Star Trek. Tell me what excuse do the Voyager crew have for not using the warp 10 drive and injecting themselves with the cure after they arrive at Earth(disregarding the stupidity of the ep and wrongly portraying evolution).

Explain to me how can Ocampans exist when they can only have children only once in their 9 year lifetime.

Also the Voyager ep where the ship blew a hole through the event horizon of a black hole is just stupid and wrong.

Explain to me why Archer condemned a whole race by not giving a cure to a disease that would cause their extinction. His explanation(read:excuse) is that its 'meant to be' this way and the second race on the planet that barely is intelligent and could not evolve without the other being exterminated(wrongly portraying evolution again and trying to make a prime directive morality when it didn't exits at the time) The bad thing is that Phlox suggested this.

Speaking of black hole blunders. The new ST:2009 movie besides portraying black holes as capable of being used as a time travel method is ridiculous the thing is a ship should have been torn apart by the gravity of it. (BTW the plan to use it to shield Romulus is bad. Not that if they had the time to make the plan they've known the wave was coming for a few years and had ample time to evacuate the planet and resettle it after the danger has passed.

Can't think at the moment what Picard and Sisko did wrong but be sure they got stinkers as well.

P.S. These blunders being spotted by a 12-14 year old(my age when I saw them) is inexcusable. I want the science in Science-Fiction.

Comment

[QUOTE]
              Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
              Okay I'm gonna humor you if you want to excuse Star Trek. Tell me what excuse do the Voyager crew have for not using the warp 10 drive and injecting themselves with the cure after they arrive at Earth(disregarding the stupidity of the ep and wrongly portraying evolution).
              Not sure how the did evolution wrong, as the Doc only said it more as theory than anything else in the episode. He certainly did not sound certain.
              As to using the cure to get home there was several problems. One is that they did not have a way to navigate at warp 10, it would of required many more tests to fully developed the drive, eachone requiring the pilot to undergo the treatment. Plus there were other aliens on the ship which may not be able to receive the treatment.

Explain to me how can Ocampans exist when they can only have children only once in their 9 year lifetime.
              An why is that impossible.
              They have a genetic memory. An they also had, at least in the star trek novels a physic storege devices in the past where the knowledge could be handed down, where as explain in the series they were a far more advance species in the past.
              The question should not be how the species survive with only one children once in there life times, the question should be how they gained intelligence an civilisation which is explained. Also we do not know whether that limitation was impose by the care taker, to limit the population, which is more than possible.

Also the Voyager ep where the ship blew a hole through the event horizon of a black hole is just stupid and wrong.
              I believe there was a lot of technobabble to explain what was going on there. An they did not blow a hole in a black whole. There was some kind of field around the black hole, which they use a dekyon beam to reopen the hole.

They included the explanations with in the episode. Which fits in with the universe which the writers have created.
              Explain to me why Archer condemned a whole race by not giving a cure to a disease that would cause their extinction. His explanation(read:excuse) is that its 'meant to be' this way and the second race on the planet that barely is intelligent and could not evolve without the other being exterminated(wrongly portraying evolution again and trying to make a prime directive morality when it didn't exits at the time) The bad thing is that Phlox suggested this.
              He did not condemn the whole race to death, they had a hundred years or more to fine a cure themselves. An they already encounter other aliens, any of them could provided them with a cure potentially. They could even fine ones themselves. What he decided was that they should not intervere with the natural process or the natural course of species. An that was not there argument at all. The first race, with intelligence were using the less advance race as slaves, yes they treated them well, provided medicine an eductation but they were still basically salves. The argument was would this race evolve further with the other race there, would they be allowed to developed own culture if the more advance race stayed around. Would the more advance race really want to loose there slaves. The decision was complex, an it did make sense, an even moral.

Speaking of black hole blunders. The new ST:2009 movie besides portraying black holes as capable of being used as a time travel method is ridiculous the thing is a ship should have been torn apart by the gravity of it. (BTW the plan to use it to shield Romulus is bad. Not that if they had the time to make the plan they've known the wave was coming for a few years and had ample time to evacuate the planet and resettle it after the danger has passed.
              Agree but then those writer treat it audiences like idiots. Perhaps it because they seem to get away with it, the writers of the film have been amongst the most successful at the box office.

Comment

[QUOTE=knowles2]
                Not sure how the did evolution wrong, as the Doc only said it more as theory than anything else in the episode. He certainly did not sound certain.
                As to using the cure to get home there was several problems. One is that they did not have a way to navigate at warp 10, it would of required many more tests to fully developed the drive, eachone requiring the pilot to undergo the treatment. Plus there were other aliens on the ship which may not be able to receive the treatment.

An why is that impossible.
                They have a genetic memory. An they also had, at least in the star trek novels a physic storege devices in the past where the knowledge could be handed down, where as explain in the series they were a far more advance species in the past.
                The question should not be how the species survive with only one children once in there life times, the question should be how they gained intelligence an civilisation which is explained. Also we do not know whether that limitation was impose by the care taker, to limit the population, which is more than possible.

I believe there was a lot of technobabble to explain what was going on there. An they did not blow a hole in a black whole. There was some kind of field around the black hole, which they use a dekyon beam to reopen the hole.

They included the explanations with in the episode. Which fits in with the universe which the writers have created.

He did not condemn the whole race to death, they had a hundred years or more to fine a cure themselves. An they already encounter other aliens, any of them could provided them with a cure potentially. They could even fine ones themselves. What he decided was that they should not intervere with the natural process or the natural course of species. An that was not there argument at all. The first race, with intelligence were using the less advance race as slaves, yes they treated them well, provided medicine an eductation but they were still basically salves. The argument was would this race evolve further with the other race there, would they be allowed to developed own culture if the more advance race stayed around. Would the more advance race really want to loose there slaves. The decision was complex, an it did make sense, an even moral.

Agree but then those writer treat it audiences like idiots. Perhaps it because they seem to get away with it, the writers of the film have been amongst the most successful at the box office.
                OFF TOPIC!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                  if that was the case the destiny wouldve been found in prestine condition. it was not.
                  Unless it hasn't been switched on yet or the damage is beyond the repair capabilities. It's also possible that it's still trying to repair itself, but the damage is so extensive the repair hasn't been noticed yet or isn't in sections that are near where the SGU people are trapped.

Comment

Maybe Destiny HAS been repairing itself, which would mean it was really shot to hell at some point. I wonder if it can cut up asteroids or other ships for parts, sorta like the Borg ships on ST.

Comment

The ship likely does have repair systems that have probably been damaged themselves over the centuries. Perhaps not working at all anymore or just working at such minimal levels due to damage to the repair system itself.

The seeder ships could in theory be used to help to repair the ship as I believe it was mentioned that they are in contact with Destiny so there is likely at least one that isn't to far away.

Considering the complexity of the stargate itself there is a very good chance that the seeder ships utilize a energy to matter converter system of some type. Storing that many gates on the ships is impractical at best as is mining the naquada needed to build them as needed. Naquada might not even be present in some galaxies which would mean they couldn't build any gates there.

If they could find one of the seeder ships and utilize it's energy to matter converter they would be in pretty good shape as far as repairing the ship and probably even for making something as simple as water and the simple compounds needed to keep the CO2 scrubbers working.

Though I do think that it would be amusing to find something like an early version of the MW/IDA galaxy replicators on board as repair drones. It would be quite fitting that such a useful piece of ancient tech was found at some point and tinkered with by someone.

I can just see it now. "Hey these things are really useful, I wonder if I can tell them to make some more of themselves?"

Comment

Well, look people - the Event Horizon of the Stargate IS a matter to energy to matter converter.
                        If they can build a Stargate, they can build a matter to .. other matter or energy to matter converter or energy to matter... or whatever.
                        sigpic

Comment

What are the odds Destiny uses nanites to repair itsself. There is precident with Reese and the Asurans...

Comment

nanites are far beyond destinys construction era

Comment

Nanites are made today. But the thing I see with the destiny nanites is they don't have a internal power source, can be destroyed by high temperatures and enough kinetic energy(lets say instant deceleration from >90m/s, can't self replicate themselves, meaning their 'dispenser' got busted and are only a limited number of them remaining on the ship busy keeping the ships main systems online.

Comment

they still wernt a round in destinys era

Comment

Working...
                                X