This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoseP927 View Post
    I think the 9th chevron is used to change the brightness (or even the color) of the wormhole, but I think its a future use that requires a firmware upgrade to enable it.
    a firmware upgrade that breaks the ability to install Linux on it (apple did this to my iPod )
    Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
    Check out my Flickr

Comment

I like the extra distance idea. A different group of galaxies.

But, it might never of been implemented, as I don't see the Ancients colonising other groups of galaxies.

Even better, its there as a spare, so that later races could improve on the stargate network. or something.

Comment

Originally posted by spook123 View Post
        I like the extra distance idea. A different group of galaxies.

But, it might never of been implemented, as I don't see the Ancients colonising other groups of galaxies.

Even better, its there as a spare, so that later races could improve on the stargate network. or something.
        That would be cool
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe its a redial button.
          The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

9 Chevrons opens a wormhole to the first gate made by the Ancients in the Ori galaxy. But we wont go there because the Ori conqured the planet and turned all the people into those plant guys who are useless unless you like humming.

Comment

I think it was a mistake for TPTB to include it on the gate

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

It's for calling tech support.
                Period.
                Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

I think the 9th is a farther reach then the 8th

1234567-------------------------8----------------------------------9
                  Probley to a galaxy they were in between earth and the Ori like maybe to the world were they researched all there tec.
                  Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                  Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                  new enemy of the Ori
                  At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

so like a galaxy far far far away?
                    sigpic
                    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by Kingomon View Post
                      I think the 9th is a farther reach then the 8th

1234567-------------------------8----------------------------------9
                      Probley to a galaxy they were in between earth and the Ori like maybe to the world were they researched all there tec.
                      Why the hell does nobody think how bloody improbable this is.

If I recall there are 39 Chevrons on the gate, that means 39 available galaxies to dial. THIRTY NINE. That INCLUDES the Ori galaxy. The only reason for the 9th chevron to do ANYTHING like that would be if the Ancients colonised more than 39 galaxies. Do you REALLY think they did that? I mean REALLY?

Lets exercise a little thought here.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

If I recall there are 39 Chevrons on the gate, that means 39 available galaxies to dial. THIRTY NINE. That INCLUDES the Ori galaxy. The only reason for the 9th chevron to do ANYTHING like that would be if the Ancients colonised more than 39 galaxies. Do you REALLY think they did that? I mean REALLY?

For starters, ALL Stargates have the ninth chevron. Even before the Ancients had colonised a handful of galaxies they would probably have had nine. It is most likely a redundancy, for IF they colonised other galaxy groups etc.

Oh, and it has NEVER been established that the Ori galaxy is within our local group, quite the contrary, it is always said to be VERY far away. If the Asgard dont even known where it is, then it most likely cannot be reached by an 8 symbol address.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
                        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

Why do you say there are only 39 possible galaxies it could dial? Mathematically speaking, using 8 chevrons, there are 77,519,922,480 possible address combinations. If the 9th chevron really is an extra distance multiplier, that bring the number of possibilities to 2,480,637,519,360.

If the 9th chevron is there for anything other than aesthetics, it is probably the extra distance factor, like dialing a country code, then an area code, then the actual number. Granted, it would be more fun if it were a secret way to a higher plane of existence or something like that, step through the gate with a 9-chevron wormhole active, and automatically ascend.

Comment

Originally posted by eta539 View Post
                            Why do you say there are only 39 possible galaxies it could dial? Mathematically speaking, using 8 chevrons, there are 77,519,922,480 possible address combinations. If the 9th chevron really is an extra distance multiplier, that bring the number of possibilities to 2,480,637,519,360.

If the 9th chevron is there for anything other than aesthetics, it is probably the extra distance factor, like dialing a country code, then an area code, then the actual number. Granted, it would be more fun if it were a secret way to a higher plane of existence or something like that, step through the gate with a 9-chevron wormhole active, and automatically ascend.
                            I seem to recall that there are 39 chevrons on the gate. Only 39 galaxies can be dialled because the 8th Chevron is the ONLY chevron that has a say in which galaxy you are dialling. Any address dialed with Chevron 8A used would be within Galaxy A. Any address dialed with Chevron8B would be in galaxy B. Rememver, youre not dialling another galaxy, youre dailling a gate IN another galaxy. So the address isnt the galaxies address its the gate address thats in the other galaxy with Chevron 8 to say which galaxy it is.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Hey all, well i'm new to the forums but the question about the ninth chevron is a question that forever sits on my mind. I've read alot of posts on theorys about the ninth chevron being able to dial further into the universe or to another farther galaxy or to a sister universe or time travel. Well i have a diffrent idea what it might be used for also one that no one has seemed to spoken of yet. As we know the Alterans(ancients) are a very smart and technoligicly advanced race, wouldn't it be a safe bet to say that they would be ones to plan ahead for future events that might come and prepare themselves for what ever came their way? Well i think that the ninth chevron is a safegaurd in the gate network that would need a massive power surge to shut down all the gates simutanusly. It's not to clear on why the alterans seeded the gates through out two galaxys but wouldn't you think they would put something in the net work to stop the gates from being used in an unfashonable manner? I know what your thinking what about the goa'uld and the wraith? Well the goa'uld didn't come into power till thousands of years after the ancients had acended. As for the wraith they grew so fast to power for the alrerans to handle and had them bombarding them from space so often they probably figured what would be the point(since they had ships capable of space flight). Also they probably figured why cut the rest of the galaxy off from being able to defend them selves by being able to comunnicate with other planets than being stuck on their own. It might give them a fighting chance if they can get to other planets to find ways of fighting the wraith. Also you would ask your self wouldn't you need a central station for the gate network to to be able to set off this sagegaurd? Well as we know the Atlantis gate is one of a kind in two galaxys. For all we know it could have features that were not aware of yet, and could be the only gate that could handle the power surge required to activate the safegaurd to shut down the network in either galaxy. Well thats all i got really so i do hope to hear some responses on this. It would be nice to get some feed back and get other ideas going but like many others befor me have said we really won't know till the writers of the show work in the the last chevron. I do hope that they do it sometime soon cause i know the rest of you would like to put this issue to rest i bet.
                              Attached Files
                              Shawnathen

Comment

actually, this is an excellent theory, except that since both the Goa'uld and the Wraith have space travel tech, it wouldn't do much good, right?
                                Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                                Check out my Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X