X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the ancients have only been to three galaxies"

the alteran galaxy, the milky way, the pegasus +
    1) the asgard home galaxy has stargates, these may have been created by either the asgard or the anceints, we dont know.
    2) the foothodl aliens came through the stargate, and said, the gould appear to be the dominate species in this galaxy. This could mean that there are gates in a fifth unspecified galaxy.
    3) the furlings dont appear to be in any galaxy we know of, they may be ina sixth galaxy with stargates possibly created by the ancients.

the ninth cheveron is to allow two way travel, by having each gate open to the other!!

Comment

I don't think it's for two way travel... I find the idea of "extra digit" more logical. Although why don't they just have repeating numbers? I mean telephone numbers repeat all the time (meaning same number used twice).

The DHD doesn't seem to allow dialing the same symbol twice, since the depressed button always light up. That severly limits the number of permutations possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni
        I don't think it's for two way travel... I find the idea of "extra digit" more logical. Although why don't they just have repeating numbers? I mean telephone numbers repeat all the time (meaning same number used twice).

The DHD doesn't seem to allow dialing the same symbol twice, since the depressed button always light up. That severly limits the number of permutations possible.
        Yes, because it's likely that there are 1.9 billion earth-like planets in our galaxy
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
          Yes, because it's likely that there are 1.9 billion earth-like planets in our galaxy
          While I have taken high school finite, I don't really know how many symbols there are in total on the gates... Are you using the figure to refute the "redudant chevron" or the "each symbol used only once"?

Eitherway, I'm just saying that if they designed the thing differently they wouldn't need to have so many different symbols while retaining the number of permutations.

I mean, if you thought remember a string of numbers composed of ten possbilities (ie. 0-9), imaging doing the same with what, 30?

Comment

While I have taken high school finite, I don't really know how many symbols there are in total on the gates... Are you using the figure to refute the "redudant chevron" or the "each symbol used only once"?

Eitherway, I'm just saying that if they designed the thing differently they wouldn't need to have so many different symbols while retaining the number of permutations.

I mean, if you thought remember a string of numbers composed of ten possbilities (ie. 0-9), imaging doing the same with what, 30?
            There are 39 symbols on the MW gate. One of those is going to be reserved for the PoO so that leaves us with 38 we can use. There are six symbols in the dialing so we just multiply it out. 38 x 37 x 36 x 35 x 34 x 33 = 1,987,690,320 possible combinations. If you add in an 8th chevron you have 63,606,090,240 combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
              There are 39 symbols on the MW gate. One of those is going to be reserved for the PoO so that leaves us with 38 we can use. There are six symbols in the dialing so we just multiply it out. 38 x 37 x 36 x 35 x 34 x 33 = 1,987,690,320 possible combinations. If you add in an 8th chevron you have 63,606,090,240 combinations.
              Well with a 10 number (ie. 0-9) repeatable sequence, you only need to dial 7 digits to exceed the permutations possible. (ie. from 0 - 9,999,999) and it would make the DHD much smaller. Not to mention it's much easier to dial coordinates with numbers than symbols. In fact, I don't think the six digits are coordinates at all; it's more like pointing out "A2" on a map grid (albeit in 3 space and you get an extra digit for each dimention).

Comment

Well with a 10 number (ie. 0-9) repeatable sequence, you only need to dial 7 digits to exceed the permutations possible. (ie. from 0 - 9,999,999) and it would make the DHD much smaller. Not to mention it's much easier to dial coordinates with numbers than symbols. In fact, I don't think the six digits are coordinates at all; it's more like pointing out "A2" on a map grid (albeit in 3 space and you get an extra digit for each dimention).
                I don't think so. With 6 digits on the gate, you have close to two BILLION combinations. Using the numbers 0-9, you have only one million possible combinations, even if you allow for repeats and include zero. If you disallow for repeats then you've got 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 = 151,200 possible combinations (for comparison, if you allowed repeats the gate has 3,518,743,761, three and a half billion combinations). You would need 10 digits to be able to address as many combinations as the gate can with 6.

As far as numbers being easier than symbols, how so? Numbers really ARE symbols, really. Hexadecimal, for example, is base 16. It's used by programming beause it can act as a shorthand for binary or even decimal numbers being shorter. hexadecimal consists of the numbers 0-9 as well as the letters A-F (representing the numbers 11-15).

Comment

Not sure if the writers / cast of the show ever browse this forum... but I always thought it would be cool if eventually they wrote an episode in which they figure out what the 9th Chevron is for.

Perhaps a special 9 symbol address that takes you to a really special place.

Anyone else ever wonder about that or think about that?

- Steve Neurotic

Comment

NOT ANOTHER 9TH CHEVRON THREAD! Sorry mate but you need to use the search fuction, because there is already a massive 9th chevron thread is science and tech.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

I'll tell you now, 9th chevron threads and Furling threads are the most unpopular discussions on here due to the fact that so many new members post about them.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Also, the ninth chevron probably takes you to some parallel universe which is free of '9th chevron' threads.
                      * Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else. *

* Avoid employing unlucky people, throw half of the CVs in the bin without reading them. *

Lost City, Part 2 - The Gateworld best ep S1-7

The 'Everyone Gets A Compliment' Thread

Comment

Ooops! Sorry about that. I've posted on forums before. I shouldve known better to use the search function silly me. I deserved to be flamed.

Hahaha seriously though... Its 6:30am here and I havent gone to sleep yet so my brain is kinda on overload.

Comment

Here we go again....

Comment

Originally posted by AncientPunk
                            Ooops! Sorry about that. I've posted on forums before. I shouldve known better to use the search function silly me. I deserved to be flamed.

Hahaha seriously though... Its 6:30am here and I havent gone to sleep yet so my brain is kinda on overload.
                            Fair enough ... welcome to the Forum.

Sadly, you managed to pick one of the 3 topics that regularly get asked every month or so (the other two are 'Who are the Furlings' and 'why isn't the iris destroyed by the wormhole')

The big thread on this is stickied at the top of the science and tech folder (and is actually an amalgamation of about 10 threads started on the subject)

As yet i haven't made up my mind on what's its for - but you'll find hundreds of theories there.

Have fun, and hope to see you around.
                            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

you really want to know what the 9th chevron does?

Spoiler:
                              just takes you a more distant galaxy. nothing has ever been said to suggest that the 9th chevron does anything more special than the 8th or the 7th.

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                                It's a reserve cheveron if any of the others break.

Comment

Working...
                                X