X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beale947
    NOT ANOTHER 9TH CHEVRON THREAD!
    boo!!!!!!!
    Hopefully this'll reduce the number of 9th Chevron and Iris threads ... I asked Skydiver to merge and sticky them both!

THANKS SKYDIVER!
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
      I like your thread and don't listen to these people. I would have never read your theory f you didn't start up this thread. Although I am with the hole 7th. to travel in your galaxy, 8th. to go to another Galaxy and
      9th. to go to another universe all together.

This should have it's own thread, I think, because it iwsn't about the 9th chevron it's about his theory on the 9th chevron. So when people go into this thread they are talking about his theory and not what everyone thinks. He wants input on what he thinks.
      ur nice
      u other ppl are mean
      hes new play nice
      i converted him hes cool! ...i know him in REAL life lol
      Today I was called a beautiful mystery and the explanation was:

How can something be hot and cool at the same time?

Comment

Again thanks to whoever made this a sticky as well.
        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
          I asked GateGipsy about it a few nights ago, and apparently the admins thought it was a good idea

Go Go Admins & Mods!
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
            Thank Skydiver. Last night I asked if it could be done in the Ask the Moderators, and she agreed.
            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I hope this has'nt been said (I'm to lazy to read 23 pages of posts) but;

The 9th Chevrons are an Ancient Joke, they new that some day a Intellagent species would find the gate-system, and that they would figher out home to use it, so they throw an extra Chevron in there to mess with our minds!
              The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
              Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

i think the 9th chevron allows two way travel.

Comment

Ok, heres my theoory. The ninth cehvron is a diagnostic chevron. To make this work first one has to assume there are different ways of dialing. The DHD would be required to run these functions, which is the reason the SGC hasn't found them quite yet.

Internal Diagnostics/Functions:
                  1st Chevron: Point of Orgin (To state we are doing it at this gate)
                  2nd-8th Chevrons: Diagnostic code In consumer electronics these thigns are unnecessarily long, so they can be long here too.
                  9th Chevron: The "Local Diagnostic" symbol. That symbol would tell the gate that it is not dialing a galatic address, but doing a diagnostic instead

Remote Interstellar Diagnostics/Functions:
                  1st-6th Chevrons: Gate Address.
                  7th Chevron: Diagnostic Category (Wormhole. Event Horizon, Dialing etc...)(There would be four of these, and these four would state that we are in disgnotic mode, not dial another galazy mode)
                  8th Chevron: Diagnostic feature (all 39 are there own feature, in one of the four categories)
                  9th: PoO

Remote Intergalatic Diagnostics/Functions
                  1st-6th: Planet Address
                  7th: Galatic Address
                  8th: Diagnostic symbol (Every symbol except for the PoO0
                  9th: PoO

This would allow for normal gate operation aswell.

Comment

The ninth cheveron dials to ascended plane(s). Say you want to call Oma, you dial the ninth chevron.
                    Spoiler:
                    In fact, when the Ori finally decide to attack the Ancients directly, they'll dial the ninth chevron...

One question though, the Atlantis gate is buried in the floor, how do they know how many cheverons are dialed? Also, shouldn't the "whoosh" thing destroy a portion of the floor every time the gate is active?
                    Last edited by Zamboni; 21 January 2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni
                      The ninth cheveron dials to ascended plane(s). Say you want to call Oma, you dial the ninth chevron.
                      Spoiler:
                      In fact, when the Ori finally decide to attack the Ancients directly, they'll dial the ninth chevron...

One question though, the Atlantis gate is buried in the floor, how do they know how many cheverons are dialed? Also, shouldn't the "whoosh" thing destroy a portion of the floor every time the gate is active?
                      i had that theory of dialing other planes years ago, idont know why its taken me this long to see this thread! im on this section all the time yet ive never noticed it!
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

i kida like the diagnostic idea
                        one function could be to set an adress so you dial your own adress then a sertain sybol as chevron nine to save it

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

The 9th Chevron is used simply as a gate address to distant Galaxcy's. After all the Ancients didnt know how far there species would evolve over time. The could end up in a situation where they had used all combinations realated to the 8th Chevron. The 9th Chevron will allow them to continue expanding without having to go back and replace all the other gates in the stargate network. They must have thought they would never expand further than 9 chevrons as any number beond that would have been over kill.

Well there is my guess! What do you guys think og my idea

Comment

Originally posted by your_god
                            The 9th Chevron is used simply as a gate address to distant Galaxcy's. After all the Ancients didnt know how far there species would evolve over time. The could end up in a situation where they had used all combinations realated to the 8th Chevron. The 9th Chevron will allow them to continue expanding without having to go back and replace all the other gates in the stargate network. They must have thought they would never expand further than 9 chevrons as any number beond that would have been over kill.

Well there is my guess! What do you guys think og my idea
                            I think that would be about right!

Think about it, the Ancients build a Stargate network in their home galaxy, but because they are exploriers they know they will go to another galaxy, so they include the 8th Chevron. They aslo know they may go beonyed the area that the 8th Chevron can get to, so they include 9th Chevron that acts as a back up in case of this type of situration, or incase they find a new use for it. And if they find that reason, they can just load it in to one of the gates and auto-dail the new info to every other gate in the network.
                            The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                            Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

im sure someone has already posted this theory, but im not looking thru 5 pages for it. we know the gate requires 7 total chevrons: 6 chevrons to dail, the 7th being the POO- point of orgin. to dail a neighboring galaxy (galaxy of ida, pegasus galaxy) it uses 8 chevrons: 7 to dial and 8 as the POO. my theory would befor the 9 chevrons would be Space/time- possibly dailing the past or future or atlernate universes. which would really explain why, if this is true, they have not explored the use of all 9 yet. we may never find out what it meads, but maybe we will in the future now that the atlantis expedition is getting more detailed with the ancient database and atlantis itself. the answer may lie there since it was the alterans/ancients who built the gate network here in the milky way and pegasus galaxies.
                              sigpic
                              Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                                I've often wondered about the 9th chevron's function, except I'm watching The Fifth Race right now, and realized that the 9th chevron probably doesn't do anything. According to the 5th episode, the Ancients do mathematics in base 8. Which means they count to 8, and then what we know as 9 would be written as 11. It would be as odd for them to go to 9 as it is for us to go to 11. 10=8 seems like a good stopping point for the numbers.

It could be there because the gate needs an odd number of chevrons in order to look good. LOL. I mean, it is kind of nice to have one on the top, to stand out for the point of origin lock.
                                you'r forgetting that one of those symbols is just an end of line symbol, the point of origin seems to be just a here the daling stops, now make a connection...

so thath'd mean there are 8 code shevrons and one PoO, the eight they'd write as 10 and thath'd be fine....

if i had to guess it'd be eigther distance or perhaps a loopback wormhole thath dials itself so you can test and do maintenance, or maybe dial other gates on the same planet
                                but distance would be ok too i mean even 7 symbols seem inadecuate to reach the entire universe (there's no grantee there are gates that far away, the recent stuf with the ori seems to indicate the ancients onely have ben to 3 galaxies prior to acending)

Comment

Working...
                                X