Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were activating a hyperdrive, why would you use any chevrons? Even if the 'jumper had some sort of emergency self-gating protocol to create a transient wormhole to jump back to a Gate, why would that involve chevrons? The chevrons are on the Gate.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
      If you were activating a hyperdrive, why would you use any chevrons? Even if the 'jumper had some sort of emergency self-gating protocol to create a transient wormhole to jump back to a Gate, why would that involve chevrons? The chevrons are on the Gate.

to answer the prior two posts: I doubt they know everything about the puddlejumper yet, as the door on the roof command demonstrates. also they haven't yet tried to travel anywhere except by stargate.

the 'deployable struts' I speculate about I mis-stated. I meant the glyphs not the chevrons. sorry

Comment

the 9th chevron also might be used the other way. from a planet with a stargate to these deployable struts or a stargate far from any planet or star. that way puddlejumpers could travel to spacestations in deep space or some other point of interest

Comment

If ancients could open a wormhole w/o a stargate on the other side, they why build more than one?

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff
            If ancients could open a wormhole w/o a stargate on the other side, they why build more than one?
            several reasons, first I bet it's more energy intensive than using the 8th chevron. second, the 9th chevron is meant for deep space and the puddlejumper DHD. so the terresterial (sp?) DHD would float away and not accesible except by spacesuit. third, regular stargate/DHD would be meant for planet based use for those without ships.

the 9th chevron/glyph would be for deep space use only - perhaps for exploration purposes - I think of it a bit like the Bablyon 5 gateless jump points/or pseudo gateless because you would need deployable struts from the jumper or fixation upon some natural interstellar 'landmark'

Comment

Okay, First let's just take a history lesson (might help from getting silly speculation happening)

Now we know after the film they got both a Air force and a Science Tech Advisor, so whatever answer requires some reality/theory to back it up.

Okay, the basics

In Galaxy dialing - first 6 designate the target planet (by 3D spacial triangulation, we already do this in 3d models to place discovered planets in our galaxy), and the 7th is the finished signal and sets the open point for the wormhole.

Out Galaxy Dialing - First 6 Designate a point in space, 7th designates which Galaxy and 8th acts as the Point of Origin (PoG)

now with that behind us lets look at the 9th Chevron.

Now... first the obvious answers.
              - used for distance calculations to other universes. (it has been theorised that there may be universes outside ours)
              - Diagnostic modes
              - Acts like Dialing 1 or 0, which then designates the primary power source.

Now we can return to the further odd and bizzare speculations. though I think the most obvious is the common deduction it adds a further distance calculation.

Now far as the speculation about deep space exploration

okay, we know hyper drive exists and that the ancients as allies of the Ausgard would have it. Now, even the Ausgard (those as advanced as the ancients) still require BIG engines for HS windows, and this after centeries in which to evolve technologically.

So most likely the Ancents would travel to a point via conventonal HS (or maybe modified like the outcome of when the sun when nova and threw SG1 & Appophis to the Ausgard galaxy)

- Fox'atuus
              Last edited by Fox'atuus; 14 November 2004, 06:23 PM.
              "ya Think!" ~ O'neil

Comment

Originally posted by Fox'atuus
                Okay, First let's just take a history lesson (might help from getting silly speculation happening)

Now we know after the film they got both a Air force and a Science Tech Advisor, so whatever answer requires some reality/theory to back it up.

Okay, the basics

In Galaxy dialing - first 6 designate the target planet (by 3D spacial triangulation, we already do this in 3d models to place discovered planets in our galaxy), and the 7th is the finished signal and sets the open point for the wormhole.

Out Galaxy Dialing - First 6 Designate a point in space, 7th designates which Galaxy and 8th acts as the Point of Origin (PoG)

- used for distance calculations to other universes. (it has been theorised that there may be universes outside ours)
                - Diagnostic modes

Now we can return to the further odd and bizzare speculations. though I think the most obvious is the common deduction it adds a further distance calculation.

- Fox'atuus

although an additional distance calculation would be sensible and possible we know that the Ancient thought big - I think they would've opted for something that really displayed their savoir faire - after all consider how many hundreds of billions of stars just in those 3 colonized galaxies, MW, Pegasus and Ida - that's a lot to explore and colonize even for an Ancient population in the tens of billions.

Besides which we know the Ancients weren't averse to limiting the Stargate's potential- note the only Pegasus gate capable of extra galaxtic travel being the Atlantus one.

And the only silly rabbits are those that dismiss anything as silly.

And we all know that just because current scientists say something is not possible then damn it - it's IMPOSSIBLE.

right Aristotle? - oops I mean Fox'atuus

Comment

Originally posted by Fox'atuus

- Diagnostic modes
                  lol, i read somewhere on another forum....

7 Chevron = Local
                  8 Chevron = Long Distance
                  9 Chevron = Collect?!?!

lol, it could be to call WAAAAAAY further than our galaxy, like super far universe... i know it can't be time related or alternate or parallell related. too obvious.

edit:
                  Originally posted by roswellgray
                  Besides which we know the Ancients weren't averse to limiting the Stargate's potential- note the only Pegasus gate capable of extra galaxtic travel being the Atlantus one.
                  ok, i take back my word on super extra dialing... so i'm stump really hard. if they don't ever discuss what the 9th chevron does before the series end, i'll be really really pissed.

its like when a mechanic finishes a job and there's one screw left, he'll prolly just ignore it. but it might be something useful or something important. they can't just throw it away. just like the 9th chevron, can't just throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by roswellgray
                    although an additional distance calculation would be sensible and possible we know that the Ancient thought big - I think they would've opted for something that really displayed their savoir faire - after all consider how many hundreds of billions of stars just in those 3 colonized galaxies, MW, Pegasus and Ida - that's a lot to explore and colonize even for an Ancient population in the tens of billions.

And the only silly rabbits are those that dismiss anything as silly.

And we all know that just because current scientists say something is not possible then damn it - it's IMPOSSIBLE.

right Aristotle? - oops I mean Fox'atuus
                    *clap* I give you nods Roswellgrey, My point was the shows explinations are based on current scientific explination mixed with a bit of sci fi fun. Under the Super String Theory Wormholes are possible.

and I prefer my rabbits of the Monty Python veriety

Oh I'll be the first to admit human science is pretty infintile.

And we know why the Pegasus Gate at Atlantis is limited that way, aside from fact that only atlantis has the required ZPM's to power out of dialing code connections to prevent thier enemy from spreading past peagusus.. or least that's how i understood the first/2nd ep. of Atlantis *shrug*

I just thought should point out the obvious stuff we know about how the gate works (I ajusted the purpose of the 7'th and 8'th glyps as depending on where the PoG is it's purpose changes)

OH Granted there were lots of points of exploration.. I'm just saying we know HSWindows can be boosted to travel between galaxies in moments (hence the reference to the gate blowing up the sun ep). Since it's now cannon that it can be done, I propose the ancients could do this with thier vessells.. which means thier ships go the same speed as gate travel.

After all.. the primary purpose of Gate travel seems to be transport of small things (puddle jumpers, beings, etc). And well personally I wouldn't colonise a world in a fleet of puddle jumpers (just wouldn't make sense, to many resources be spent)

And the only reason i scoff at the B5 parralell is because the Faster then Light (FL) transport in B5 is so different then "gating". B5's Gates utalized the principle of theorised subspace domains while SG Gates utalized the princible of molecular transmission via a artificial micro-wormhole traveling a Subspace layer.

The two arn't compatible for a good parralell. the only close parralell is with star trek where wormholes (as in post 90's) were still goverened by "known science".

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not laughing at anyone. Just pointing out that whatever explination we will eventually get from the Gods of SG Cannon "the staff writers" will make sence with stated cannon, while also totally flaunting "known science" since that's what in part makes SG so compelling. yeah it's sci-fi, but the science is plausable. When it's plausable, ppl are likly to accept it.

Besides.. aside from freak side effects (ie the time loop/travel effect of directing the wormhole back on itself), every function of the gate we've seen has been logically related to interplanet travel.

I mean granted I tend to think logically, but it just makes sense to me.. but hey.. speculation is fun... I just think it's more fun speculating Within the "rules" the cannon (set facts) have set

Hey.. maybe the 9th chevron triggers a self destruct (now that is a silly speculation)

okay nuff ranting.. me tired and prolly starting to become incoherent.

By Southside97

lol, i read somewhere on another forum....

7 Chevron = Local
                    8 Chevron = Long Distance
                    9 Chevron = Collect?!?!
                    Hey makes sorta sence if you think of it like this.

We know the Atlantis gate is only one with enough juice to do 8 chevrons. So could say that say your on earth.. wanting to get to atlantis in pegasus.. you first dial the 8 chevrons then add the 9th "collect" glyph to ask the other gate to supply the required power to make the connection.

which is why i think that's one Plausable use for the 9th chevron.
                    Last edited by Fox'atuus; 14 November 2004, 07:16 PM.
                    "ya Think!" ~ O'neil

Comment

well, it depends when the Atlanteans developed the stargate. maybe hyperspace travel wasn't as fast as wormhole travel.

also, for current real science, what is the speculation about wormhole formation?
                      besides being 2 way they must open at both ends without being fixed to something n'est pas?

also how then do hyperspace windows travel before closing?

Comment

Whoever this theory belongs to its good and explains what the 9th chevron is used for better than the theory of the extra distance calculation (no offence to whoever that theory belongs to). I at first thought that it must be used for an extra distance calculation but thinking of it, all you need to dial another galaxy is the 8th chevron (obviously the first 7 as well, but I mean other than the usual) and enough power to create a stable wormhole between the two. It also works better than the theory of the 9th chevron being used for time travel, even though that does work.

**Possible Spoilers: Highlight below**
                        I read somewhere that the 9th chevron is going to be used in future seasons

Comment

why not send a whole lot of LAV from the Deadulas
                          sigpic
                          The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                            **Possible Spoilers: Highlight below**
                            I read somewhere that the 9th chevron is going to be used in future seasons
                            May I ask from who have you heard this.
                            "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
                              not really spoilers but ehers some space any way for atlantis 109 home

the say that the atlantis gate is the only one that can connect to earth via the 8th symbol because it is a unique DHD with an 8th control crystal. so not even atlanstis could use the 9th symbol they would have to make a new dhd in order to use it. so either there is a 9th symbol DHD out there we havn't found yet or the acients just put it on the gate for exspantion space later.

if we wanted to test it would need to use the earth gate with a fully powered ZPM (so u know u have enough power/ more then enough) and write a new version of the dialing computer to use the 9th symbol then cold dial 37^8 = 3,512,479,453,921 and while i have the calculator out, assuming it takes 1 min to try and dial a location and not get a lock and move on (maybe less but easier to calc) it would take 6,851,746 years (ok i was really board) so basicly we aint never gunna find out!
                              maybe the control crystal is really capable of 9 but we just don't know it yet.
                              Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
                              Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
                              Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
                              Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph
                                Who says that it would take a lot more energy to activate the 9th than the 8th, maybe it takes only a fraction more energy than the normal 7. As far as why, its a matter of convenience, instead of gating to a world and having to take a transport across a whole planet, just gate to a second gate and your right there. In fact, i would not be suprised if the ancients in their golden era (pre-wraith) if some planets of theirs used more than 1 or even 2 gates.
                                maybe one in space and one on the planet???

Comment

Working...
                                X