This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord §okar
    implies that our remarks were un-intelligent, which would be degrading us.
    I don't see how describing something with accuracy could be classed as degrading it.
    It does not, but it is the matter in which it was performed. Public reprimand is a form of degradation. Three PhDs is not a mod. If he did not like what we said he could have simply redded us, even reported our posts if he wanted, and that be the end. If the mods thought what we had done was wrong they would have removed the posts and reprimanded us themselves.

As an aside, the subtle implication that we are village idiots would also be, by your reference, an insult.
    Actually I wasn't implying anything of the sort, merely that there are lots of things in Stargate that we needn't do just because they do.
    I find that unlikely. You could have chosen a myriad of things that occur in Stargate that we should not perform in reality, anything from killing to slavery, yet you chose an example that blatantly related to the discussion at hand.

Interesting, you violated two rules of the forum, both being disrespectful (as demonstrated by the above defined insult) and being off-topic, in order to prove he violated one rule of the forum.
    Good lord, what disrespect is there? Would you disagree that spamming is a vacuous discourse?
    Yes I would agree, but again as stated above it is not your place, Three PhDs, or mine to state such things. If the mods felt his post had been innapropriate they would have removed it. By publicly reprimanding us yourself, you showed a lack of courteous regard, which I believe is the Dictionary.com definition of disrespect.

Comment

I find that unlikely. You could have chosen a myriad of things that occur in Stargate that we should not perform in reality, anything from killing to slavery, yet you chose an example that blatantly related to the discussion at hand.
      You can disbelieve till you're blue in the face, 'tis so nonetheless.

It does not, but it is the matter in which it was performed. Public reprimand is a form of degradation. Three PhDs is not a mod. If he did not like what we said he could have simply redded us, even reported our posts if he wanted, and that be the end. If the mods thought what we had done was wrong they would have removed the posts and reprimanded us themselves.
      The mods steer clear of this area of the forum, no-one cares about reputation nor are they whiny enough to report a post for spam.

Yes I would agree, but again as stated above it is not your place, Three PhDs, or mine to state such things.
      It is too. If harrasment were going on it's well within the members rights and I would say responsibilities to curtail that activity. This is no different.

By publicly reprimanding us yourself, you showed a lack of courteous regard, which I believe is the Dictionary.com definition of disrespect.
      Courtesy is not intertwined with respect, nor is respect with insult. I fail to see how anyone could be offended by mild accosting on the evils of off-topic posting, especially when they're in the wrong. If it's because we're on the same rung of the forum heirarchy then they're outstandingly pretentious.
      Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Comment

Can we at least dial 8 Chevrons real quick so we can go over to Pegasus?
          Or should we just give up now and join the Ori?
          All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
          Pay it forward

Comment

I think we should help the Wraith reach the Orii galxy, that way problem solved.

Comment

Sokar, Walter, I was the other person singled out on it. And you know what, I don't care. I corrected him and let the subject drop, as did he. Can we please just drop this argument? It's silly. Yes, Three PhDs probably should have read on further before singling out our responses but, he didn't and was corrected and it's all water under the bridge now. Let's either get the thread back on track or let it die since it's just a dead horse anyways.

Actually, that gives me an idea. Can we collect a dead horse list somewhere, maybe a sticky, that summarizes the discussions for various oft discussed topics and has links to the appropriate threads? I have been on another board (non-stargate) where they did something like that and basically had a rule that if it's a thoroughly dead horse (like the 9th chevron, furlings, etc) then unless you have something truly new to add, don't post about it. If you do post about it without looking at the list you will be referred to the dead horse list and then we reserve the right to throw rotten tomatos at you. :-)

Comment

Can I be the dead horse?

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                  Can I be the dead horse?
                  ROFL! That is SOOO wrong, man.

Comment

Dial the 9th Chevron and you wind up in Firefly stranded on a planet where you find a village where they worship a dead horse.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                      Sokar, Walter, I was the other person singled out on it. And you know what, I don't care. I corrected him and let the subject drop, as did he. Can we please just drop this argument? It's silly. Yes, Three PhDs probably should have read on further before singling out our responses but, he didn't and was corrected and it's all water under the bridge now. Let's either get the thread back on track or let it die since it's just a dead horse anyways.

Actually, that gives me an idea. Can we collect a dead horse list somewhere, maybe a sticky, that summarizes the discussions for various oft discussed topics and has links to the appropriate threads? I have been on another board (non-stargate) where they did something like that and basically had a rule that if it's a thoroughly dead horse (like the 9th chevron, furlings, etc) then unless you have something truly new to add, don't post about it. If you do post about it without looking at the list you will be referred to the dead horse list and then we reserve the right to throw rotten tomatos at you. :-)
                      You're right, I apologize. As to your idea, I agree, I had a thought about that too. The last time someone made up another thread about the whole "why doesnt the splash destroy the iris" I explained it to them and then I asked the mods if they could sticky it because the topic has been done to death. I guess the mods are still holding on to a thread of hope that one day people will discover "Search" lol

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                        You're right, I apologize. As to your idea, I agree, I had a thought about that too. The last time someone made up another thread about the whole "why doesnt the splash destroy the iris" I explained it to them and then I asked the mods if they could sticky it because the topic has been done to death. I guess the mods are still holding on to a thread of hope that one day people will discover "Search" lol
                        Sheah, like that's going to happen. (nice pun, btw)

Comment

The 9th chevron is used to order an Ancient pizza, which the Furlings make. That's why they were apart of the Alliance, the Asgard, Nox and Ancients loved the pizza they made so they accepted them in
                          I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Hi there everyone, 1st post, so hello to all.

i was having a look and couldnt seem to find a thread about this, if there is already one apologies.

The gate in cheyenne mountain visably has 9 chevrons, all others are only seen to have 7 as they are normally stuck in the ground in pegasus or stuck in raised platforms in MW.

I know that an 8 chevron address can only be achieved by interfacing a control crystal or by some jiggery pokery at SGC. so it would stand to reason that any others using the gate systems are not really supposed to see and question the 8th and 9th chevrons. I had a theory that as the 8th chevron adds an extra distance calculation, maybe the 9th was designed to add a point in time ( i have no idea how just a theory) so you could use the gate to travel through time like in 1969.

If anyone has any knowledge/ideas or can point me to somewhere this has been discussed id be most gratefull

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by the ancient repli-carter
                              Hi there everyone, 1st post, so hello to all.

i was having a look and couldnt seem to find a thread about this, if there is already one apologies.

The gate in cheyenne mountain visably has 9 chevrons, all others are only seen to have 7 as they are normally stuck in the ground in pegasus or stuck in raised platforms in MW.

I know that an 8 chevron address can only be achieved by interfacing a control crystal or by some jiggery pokery at SGC. so it would stand to reason that any others using the gate systems are not really supposed to see and question the 8th and 9th chevrons. I had a theory that as the 8th chevron adds an extra distance calculation, maybe the 9th was designed to add a point in time ( i have no idea how just a theory) so you could use the gate to travel through time like in 1969.

If anyone has any knowledge/ideas or can point me to somewhere this has been discussed id be most gratefull

Thanks
                              I'd recommend you search again. AFAIK there have been two threads (at least) on this.
                              srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Why don't you check out these thread? They might answer your question.

And welcome to the forum!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ight=cheverons

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ight=cheverons
                                ~Athena

Comment

Working...
                                X