Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is my first post so cut me some slack if u think this is WAY out there k?I've got quite a doozy of a theory. What if the ninth chevron is a shortcut to ascension? i got the idea from when daniel ascended he went thru the stargate(doesnt mean he used the ninth chevron then tho!) but maybe that could be wat it is. thoughts anyone??
    "Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb!" - Dark Helmet

Comment

The "International" theory/conjecture/idea makes the most sense to me.

The stargate network has thousands? tens of thousands of stargates, with basically two models, if you ever needed to expand the system to another area, it would really really be annoying to have to replace all the old stargates with new ones.

Hence when you started building them would want to build them with a lot of room for growth. The 9th chevron may have never been used or setup but rather if that distance was ever needed it could be used. (Then updating the system protocol in a way similiar to how they send data and adjust for drift.)

Comment

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
        2. Time travel.
        Yes, I am sorry there, Col. Newman is correct, we have already disproved time travel.

Owen Macri

Comment

I reckon that the Ninth Chevron might actually not do anything, the Ancients might have just put it there for the aesthetics.

The way I figure it, if you're gonna build a Stargate, why not build one with some style?
          "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack
          "Well the Ancients like to fly in style..." - Daniel

Comment

Yes, but it seems very unlikley that they would simply add another chevron for no season, the Stargate would have still worked and looked fine with eight.

Owen Macri

EDIT: And By the way, welcome to the forum!

Owen Macri

Comment

I may of missed it, but has anyone ever thought the ninth cheveron maybe used to go to a different "plane" of existance?

OR even to draw energy from another universe, we know the ZPM is like a universe in a bottle, recent atlantis episode, mackay says this, anyway, what if it is possible to connect a stargate to another universe, and draw energy from it? I'm just tossing ideas around for people to think about, i can't be arsed to think into them myself, don't shoot me down if they sound crap.

Another thing is the fact that for a eight chevron lock you need a special crystal in your DHD unless you have a computer to do it for you , anyway. What if different special crystals do different jobs, all you need is the energy source to match. Personally time travel and multiple reality ideas are a bit poo because we have seen ancient technology for these purposes already, and two way travel is out of the question, because i'd rather not walk into someone on the other side and be stopped from re-materialising.

Erm, what else is there, extra long distance, thats possible, but using extra long distance storyline could go on forever, because that starts to get into a ridiculously high amount of possible permiatations, not that were on alot with a galaxy area code now .

I'm wondering about the Orii and their home galaxy? How close is it? Do we need a ninth chevron to access it? I'm just waffling on now, trying to think of reasonable ideas, the theory about two gates is possible but i believe unlikely, i do believe we will find out this series, whether in atlantis or stargate

Comment

maybe its more like to travel between universes
                My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

i have a problem with this theory, dont get me wrong i like it better then the alternate reality/gate to accention/wormhole to anywhere theories. sounds more plausable that it is a gate selector or room for imporvments.

my problem is order, how do u say what order the chevrons are and what they are for. by your theory u could only select diffrent gates in the same solar system in a diffrent galaxy

ok so the first 6 XXXXXX are always the coords of the solar system with in a galaxy and Y is always the point of origin how does it know if u hit XXXXXXBY or XXXXXXAY.
                  i guess one way to get around this is to but B after Y, after all u still need to hit the big red button to active maybe thats why because the point of origin isn't always the end of the address. so XXXXXXAYB would say goto galaxy A and gate B in that solar system. or XXXXXXYB in your own galaxy.

there are 36 symbols on the gate that would allow for 35 possible galaxies in the gate network, sure 35 galaxies is alot! we know of 4 glaxies that there are gate networks in at least (ours, ida, pegasus, ori) but the universe is huge, who says the ori dont rule over many morw glaxies. it took the ancients thousands of years to get here 50 million years ago who says they didn't colonise a few galaxies on the way.

so another possiblity is 2 digit galaxy codes XXXXXXAAY, that would allow for (35*35) 1225 galaxies (someone will have to fix my math to show the non repeating part of dialing stargates.) either way its over a thousand possible galaxies the gate network could goto.

another question i have is does the atlantis gate have 9 chevrons or is it only limited by the DHD and how many crystals is has? because they just light up they dont need to be locked into the triangle things so maybe u could have an address using all 36 symbols.

so if u needed to go to one of the glaxies that is not in the 2 digit glaxy area code u would need to gate to pegasus first and then use a DHD with 10 crystals to eneter a 3 digit galaxy code WOW XXXXXXAAAY (thats other 42 thusand galaxies!!!)

Edit: spelling and after actully reading some of this thread it looks like the 2 digit galaxy has already been suggested sorry
                  Last edited by AsgardCarnage; 24 August 2005, 07:58 PM.

Comment

so any1 have thoughts on the "shortcut to ascension" idea? i wanna kno wat ya'll think

Comment

This probably wouldn't work for a 100 reasons, but what if it were used on ships? To make the gate work while it was moving through space. Nah, that sounds way off.

I doubt that its to go to another universe, because as far as I know, the only matter that came travel out of one universe into another is gravity.
                      Like art? Buy prints.

Comment

y'kno the ninth will never be time travel because we already kno we can do that with only seven. all u need is a solar flare

Comment

I never said anything about time travel.
                          Like art? Buy prints.

Comment

Originally posted by Resident-Seven
                            This probably wouldn't work for a 100 reasons, but what if it were used on ships? To make the gate work while it was moving through space. Nah, that sounds way off.

I doubt that its to go to another universe, because as far as I know, the only matter that came travel out of one universe into another is gravity.

You must be talking about that crazy string theory. I don't really find any creadence to it, but thats only my personal opinion.

Ok, i have a theory, remember the Ritu? Well, if living beings can exist on an opposite harmonic frequency (or whatever Carter called it) why can't planets? or even galaxies? Perhaps it allows it to recognize these, normally undetectable, astral bodies and maybe activate a device that re-harmonizes the transferred matter, either way, equalizing it to the destination.

Oh yeah, those crazy bugs that were seen using the Ancient device found in the sixth season are another example. It could make it so you can be in the same "wavelength" as them.

Comment

It is not accension because the Stargates were built long before the Ancients had mastered it.

Owen Macri

Comment

I just had another idea. Maybe the Ninth Chevron doesn't have a function. It could be the Ancients created Nine Chevrons because they didn't know if they would need a nineth one. The eigth one became the galactic address, and the nineth one never got a function. Maybe it would have ended up with a self destruct command for the destination, or the gate the was doing the dialing. It may be painful to think about it, but its a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X