Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the Dialing Computer in Atlantis doesn't tell us what it does, then it doesn't do anything. Atlantis was the last greatest Ancient technological creation that we know of, and it was Post-Stargate system.
    sigpic

Comment

That is true but remember Atlantis only has the database, it doesn't have a dialing computer, and remember the database is huge, if it is there it would be hard to find.

There is always the possibility that they didn't put it in, for example, everyone has somekind of light source in there room, but do you have what the light source is what it does and how it works stored on your computer, or the same with a telephone, do you have all of the information of your telephone stored on your computer. No, you probably don't because you know what they do, and to you they are very simple everyday things, perhaps this is how the ancients though of the ninth chevron. As intriging as it is to us, to them it was just an everyday (normal, I am not implying that they used it everyday) function of a device, nothing special.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
        Maybe it's just a warning light.....
        Maybe it just lights up....

We know that it's possible to set up a point-of-origin at a location that doesn't have one, and, we know that it's possible for a stargate to function in any point-of-origin....as long as there is one.

If there isn't a point-of-origin registered at the point-of-activation, then the gate probably won't engage.

point-of-origin = a region that uses the same gate address throughout....size and shape unknown

point-of-activation = the exact point in which a gate activates...or attempts to activate....
        Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

I am not sure that I understand your point. When a gate is moved its' point of origin is updated so that it can be used.

Owen Macri

Comment

I get it. If a gate is outside of registered PoO space, would it engage?

What would happen if you manually dialed a 'gate, after its PoO changed? Wouldn't the PoO still be the first symbol?
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
            LANDRY
            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Technically the point of origin is the exact point where the stargate is. You are thinking of its location in space (the six symbols), this encompases either the entire orbit of the planet or the eintire solar system, both are possible I am not going to argue about this here. If a gate is outside of the volume of space designated by the six symbols (points in space) then it will not engage.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                I have mentioned this theory before, and this is the last time I will bring it up, honest (I'm certain that you'd rather I just shut up about it, so one last time). Anyhow...

I believe that the Ninth Chevron is another distance calculator, allowing the Gate to select a different Galactic group. We know that the 8th Chevron selects other Galaxies, but there are way more galaxies than symbols available for the 8th Chevron. The Local Group of galaxies contains 30 Galaxies, which falls well within the 8th Chevron's symbol numbers. So, my thought is that the 9th Chevron allows you select a different galactic group or cluster, and the galaxies within. With all due respect to the Good Captain Bowman (who doesn't like my theory ), I think this fits well within the established logic of chevron functioning.

YMMV, and as there is no definite data either way, right now it's really for what you want it to be for.

-IMF
                I think this is the best theory I have heard yet

Comment

This is the most logical theory. However it wouldn't specifically select a diffrent galactic group it would help select one group of a possible 1444 possible groups. The distance modifier theoretically, would add a distance to the seven chevrons, allowing for gates in galaxies however far out the distance is. With the ninth chevron, theoretically it would use both the ninth and eighth symbol in combonation to allow more possible distances, 38 X 38 = 1444 possible galactic groups.

Owen Macri

Comment

Um, there are 38P9 (5.915366392E13) possible combinations of addresses with 38 symbols and 9 chevrons(assuming that 9 is not the PoO. If it was, then there are only 1.971788979E12 possible. I'll use that number for now.) There are 38P6 (1987690320) combinations possible in MW(6-symbol addresses). Wouldn't that mean that there are 1.96980117E12 possible non-MW addresses?
                    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                    LANDRY
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      That is true but remember Atlantis only has the database, it doesn't have a dialing computer, and remember the database is huge, if it is there it would be hard to find.
                      Huh? Yeh it does. The Atlantis Dialing computer is different from your normal DHD. For one, It can dial Earth.....
                      sigpic

Comment

Atlantis has a dialing console, which serves as a DHD. McKay said for himself that it was much more complex than the ordinary DHD.
                        LANDRY
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

Technically the point of origin is the exact point where the stargate is. You are thinking of its location in space (the six symbols), this encompases either the entire orbit of the planet or the eintire solar system, both are possible I am not going to argue about this here. If a gate is outside of the volume of space designated by the six symbols (points in space) then it will not engage.

Owen Macri

I was only stating the usage of terms in that post.

p.s. I, too, have no intention of arguing that thing here.
                          Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                            Um, there are 38P9 (5.915366392E13) possible combinations of addresses with 38 symbols and 9 chevrons(assuming that 9 is not the PoO. If it was, then there are only 1.971788979E12 possible. I'll use that number for now.) There are 38P6 (1987690320) combinations possible in MW(6-symbol addresses). Wouldn't that mean that there are 1.96980117E12 possible non-MW addresses?
                            I believe that you used a calculator for this? The "E" that you are typing is unecesary, it simply signifies that there was not enough room to use a whole number, so it used exponents, hence the numbers after the "E"

First 1368, is the number of possible distance calculations if, indeed the ninth chevron is another distance calculation I apoligize I did not calculate using the fact that with a normal DHD you can not dial a symbol more than once. Therefore there are 5.230226175^44 possible stargates in a single galaxy. Therfore there are 7.154949407^47 possible stargates in the universe, excluding any other cool functions of the gate that we could find. That is a lot of gates!!!!

I believe that you have miss calculated so I will explain how to calculate this if you want to check my numbers. To calculate the number of distance calculations assuming that the ninth chevron is a distance calculator is (38X38)-(38X2). To calculate the number of possible gates in a galaxy it is 38 factorial, or (38X37X36X35X34X33X32X31X30X29X28X27X26X25X24X23X
                            22X21X20X19X18X17X16X15X14X13X12X11X10X9X8X7X6X5X4X3X2X1)-(38X7)

To find the number of possible gates in the universe it is
                            (38X37X36X35X34X33X32X31X30X29X28X27X26X25X24X23X
                            22X21X20X19X18X17X16X15X14X13X12X11X10X9X8X7X6X5X4X3X2X1)-(38X7)X(38X38)-(38X2)
                            I hope that I could help.

Owen Macri
                            Last edited by _Owen_; 17 May 2005, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I completely agree. Thor said that even the Asgard have only scratched the surfaced of the Ancient library of knowledge. He said trying to find a specific thing would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack, a stack of infinite size.

Comment

And don't forget, it might not even be in there, please refer to my previous post that you quoted from.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X