This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh nooooooooooooooooooo!!!! the 9th chevron is back!!!!11111one!!1

lol, even though there's tons of thread regarding this, the show hasn't even mention one bit of information about it.

i guess we'll have to wait until season 15 to know what it does?? lol. j/k....

i believe it can't be used for time travel, or else the anicents will be doing it already...

it can't be used for access to alternate plane like the ascended, or else we'll be doing it already...

it might be for further distance travel, since it may require tons and tons of power to use the 9th chevron....

well, i don't have any more ideas popping into my heads....

Comment

It might simply be a backup chevron....

Anyone else ever thought of this? These stargates in our galaxy, are more older and probably primitive than the ones seen in Atlantis, the 9th one could simply be there as a backup...

Comment

Whats sad is that you all continue to speculate at this and yet, I bet the writers dont even know, as IT HASNT BEEN WRITTEN YET!!!!!!!! HAVE A NICE DAY
        If you can read this your computer is malfunctioning

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel
          Whats sad is that you all continue to speculate at this and yet, I bet the writers dont even know, as IT HASNT BEEN WRITTEN YET!!!!!!!! HAVE A NICE DAY
          Idiot, that's part of the fun. I think the 9th chevron is a breaker of sorts. you use the eight on the sides to dial and the last one does all the encoding and so can't be locked.

that makes sense to me, hopefully it will to others.
          'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by southside97
            oh nooooooooooooooooooo!!!! the 9th chevron is back!!!!11111one!!1

lol, even though there's tons of thread regarding this, the show hasn't even mention one bit of information about it.

i guess we'll have to wait until season 15 to know what it does?? lol. j/k....

i believe it can't be used for time travel, or else the anicents will be doing it already...

it can't be used for access to alternate plane like the ascended, or else we'll be doing it already...

it might be for further distance travel, since it may require tons and tons of power to use the 9th chevron....

well, i don't have any more ideas popping into my heads....
            force someing
            force update
            put the gate into debug mode
            force dhd update
            some dhd only thing
            dial the gate you are dialing from
            others

Comment

So, in other words, they'd set it up to hide their ZPMs in a place in which they'd have to possibly use up an entire ZPM to get to? Definitely not wise in an emergency situation, as it's like storing the controls for turning on a building's emergency back-up power in a place that can only be reached by elevator, and making them only manual-controlled to turn 'em on.
              Good point you made there, but not what i was getting at. Im working on the assumption that the ninth chevron is not distance based or drains any more power than a normal in-galaxy dial.

I gotta say tho even if as you say it did drain an entire ZPM or even three, would not going to a charging station where there are hundreds and returning with a large quantity make it worth it?. To cover my ass, im going to say that during the last visit they brought back more than 3 so, upon depleting those three to dial the charging station there are 3 more to replace those.

What I did not make clear in my last post, which probably would have saved me making this post was, with the ninth chevron, this would make the chances of anyone primarily the Wraith impossible to discover where this secret 'bounty' is hidden.

This too makes sense

Comment

My theory is that each additional chevron is used to increase the distance. 7 for the galaxy you are in, 8 for a gate in a adjacent galaxy in the local group such as Pegasus, 9 for a gate out side the local group. 9 would probably allow you to gate to the otherside to the universe
                Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bloodaxe
                  Nope, other universes are not the next step beyond galaxies (nor are time travel, the afterlife, or anything outside or beyond the universe in which the Ancients actually resided); it is, in fact, galaxy clusters that are the next step. These are collections of galaxies much like how galaxies are clusters of stars, and would be the most logical choice for a 9th chevron to dial (sorta like an international code much like the 8th is like an area code, and would again require much more power). I have reason to believe this was the extent of the Ancient empire and they likely had not at all reached the point in which they could travel to other superclusters, and at this point it would actually be a violation of both continuity and physics to claim they'd mastered both time and interdimensional travel at the time they'd created the gates. (It takes less effort for a civilization to have a limited access to Hyperspace to allow them to create wormholes from one place to another than it does for them to manipulate those wormholes to travel through time or realities, or even have unlimited access to Hyperspace in order to go anywhere). So, galactic clusters are the most logical choice, and if anyone's already mentioned that and I just didn't read it yet, kudos to them.

-Bloodaxe
                  I knew I wasn't the only one who thoght of this!

Comment

Maybe it's a secret way to reach the hot naked chick planet.

But I choose to believe it's there for expansion. I mean, if we choose to define the way the gate works as more like a telephone than some weird space map thing, it makes more sense, cause when phones were first invented the amount of digits in each phone number was much smaller than today, so I reckon the Ainctients built them futute-proof to a degree.

Star Trek Reborn

Comment

Originally posted by Auron
                      Good point you made there, but not what i was getting at. Im working on the assumption that the ninth chevron is not distance based or drains any more power than a normal in-galaxy dial.

I gotta say tho even if as you say it did drain an entire ZPM or even three, would not going to a charging station where there are hundreds and returning with a large quantity make it worth it?. To cover my ass, im going to say that during the last visit they brought back more than 3 so, upon depleting those three to dial the charging station there are 3 more to replace those.

What I did not make clear in my last post, which probably would have saved me making this post was, with the ninth chevron, this would make the chances of anyone primarily the Wraith impossible to discover where this secret 'bounty' is hidden.

This too makes sense
                      Yes, but it's been established that it takes all 7 being engaged before an 8th one can be, so it stands to reason that the 9th would need the remaining 8 to be engaged before it, and that would entail the necessity of even more power. (And, for the record, I'm heavily tempted to make a "Home Improvement" joke given the way I worded that, but I just don't know how many people still remember that show ).

-Bloodaxe

Comment

It might store something, like in 48 hours. Only a permenate thing, that can be taken out by redailing all 9.

Comment

If I had to pick a reason for the ninth chevron, I'd say it is to dial multiple gates simultaneously.

Comment

Maybe it is a weapon !!!! Made by the ancients to keep away the Oree whatever they may be.
                            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate
                              I suspect that if anyone knows what the 9th chevron is for it is... Ba'al !

Perhaps he used it in order to dial all the gates (remember, apparently the effect was spread throughout the galaxy even though, as we well know, some gates are buried). The 9th Chevron may be the key to unlocking network-wide functions or even more advanced stuff that we haven't even thought of yet. Anubis himself didn't know how it worked and needed Ba'al.

Perhaps in order to make a stand against their new enemy, the SGC will need to master the 9th chevron. Which means they will have to talk to Ba'al
                              I was actually thinking this as I was reading the post but thought I should check to see if anyone else had said it before posting it.
                              Too bad you beat me :\

I was also wondering what would happen if you stepped through a gate connected to multiple worlds.
                              Would it kill you or would it make doubles of you, or maybe you would just appear infront of a random gate.

Comment

im going with
                                7) same galaxy
                                8)4 galaxies away at most
                                9) outer rim of our galaxy cluster at most maybe edge of closest galaxy cluster near us.

Comment

Working...
                                X