Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the afterlife was dumb. Instead it could 2 way travel.

Comment

7 chevrons = local call
      8 chevrons = interstate call
      9 chevrons = overseas/idd call

'nuff said me thinks

Comment

2 words Galactic Clusters. the 8th may need to know whiech cluster the other galaxy is in. (if the 9th is not activated the 'gate assumes it is in the local cluster.) watcha think?

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
          You know what? I think TPTB messed up when they made more chevrons than they could explain. They managed to find something for number 8 and now, if they don't tell us what number 9 is for, they'll be in trouble Of course, they could just keep it virgin for an arc about it in Atlantis...maybe it will introduce another spin-off someday

They probably have no idea what it does either. I'll go for "It's prettier this way"
          TPTB you refer to are Roland Emmerich and Friend, the guys that brought you Sargeant O'Neil in Godzilla. Apart from coming up with Stargate, they really have no brains.

Comment

Okay, here's my idea. And I think it's a good idea. My friend and I have actually written tons of stories involving this idea for the Ninth Chevron and I don't know if anyone else has thought of this.

It'll self-destruct the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
              TPTB you refer to are Roland Emmerich and Friend, the guys that brought you Sargeant O'Neil in Godzilla. Apart from coming up with Stargate, they really have no brains.

They've done other cool stuff(but NOT Godzilla) - they've just got their heads up their backsides over SG1!
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                They've done other cool stuff(but NOT Godzilla) - they've just got their heads up their backsides over SG1!
                ACTUALLY, Rolland Emmerich was sued in court twice. Once was after the Stargate movie and after The Day After Tomorrow. Both times someone had claimed that Emmerich had stolen their idea. And both times they were right and Emmerich had to pay up. So in actuality, he had no brains whatsoever.

Comment

I think people are forgetting, that 8th Chevron isnt dial another galaxy, its add a distance to it. Im going to use a straight line as an analogy, to make it easier.

7 Chevrons
                  Earth-----------------------Abydos

8 Chevrons
                  Earth-----------------------(Direction of Abydos)-------------------------------------------------------------Othalla
                  FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

the ninth cheveron lets you do 1 of 3 things:

1) travel both ways through the stargate as in walk through the stargate get shot run back through.

2) to havve more than one stargate on a planet sorta like an extra point of origin.

3) shuts down the stargate network

* the quantum mirror is for alternate realitys not the ninth cheveron
                    ** the quantum mirror also doe the time thing because u just dial a universe that in the past/ developed slower than your and ure back in the past.
                    *** also time travel is PJ territory leave the stargate out if this!
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                      3) shuts down the stargate network
                      The ancients would never need to impliment such a thing. If they ever wanted to destroy the stargate network, they would simply disseminate a DHD program that disabled the network, probably by wiping each gate's internal coordinate systems.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
                        2 words Galactic Clusters. the 8th may need to know whiech cluster the other galaxy is in. (if the 9th is not activated the 'gate assumes it is in the local cluster.) watcha think?

I think it would be good to give an idea about what is a local group:
                        http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/index.html

Comment

i really think its just to add distance, the universe is big place.
                          even the acients didn't go everythere when the were corporeal.

but how far could it take u, u would need another stargate on the other end right? also it would probably take a crap load of power.

Well maybe it makes it possible to open a wormhole without a stargate on the other end and the reason no one ever used it it because it would take a z.p.m. to use it.

i doubt its a time machine cuz they have the puddle jumper for that.

the quantum mirror is for alternate dimensions.

2 way gate travel sounds like an idea but since the 8 chevron adds distance why would u dial further away to two way travel.

i think its possible to shut down the gate network aleady, maybe with a virus. but why they already have ships. gate travel is just convenient.

the cluster idea falls in with distance so it could possible be it but the question of if there is a stargate that far out or even if the ancients ever visited places that far away. if they did i think it might be that they were originally from there.

lol afterlife.

but all in all the best reason is just to add distance.

Comment

You can't have a wormhole without another gate.

Well, you can. However, such a wormhole would spit you out in your most basic form...You'd have a small cloud of...you...at the other end.

The gate is what puts you back together.
                            sigpic

Comment

Huh... I guess I'm the odd man out. I think the 9th chevron has to do with how the Ancients seeded galaxies with human life. I don't know of any world in Stargate canon that had humans inhabiting it without having either a stargate there or once being there. We've come across many worlds were the Go'uald surplanted humans and a Stargate. I always imagined some great control station, hell maybe its in Atlantis, which accesses the Stargate network and activates all the gates within a galaxy utilizing the 9th Chevron and uses the Stargate to seed worlds with the essential building blocks for human life to form over time. I figure 8 Chevrons are used to chose the galaxy and the 9th to seed life in that galaxy. We've seen that Ancient devices can access multiple Stargates as we've seen in Window of Oppurtunity.

To explain how almost all of humans they've encountered speak English, I figure the Ancients could have encoded the building blocks of human DNA with something, maybe a passive genetic code, which causes all human life to slowly evolve to the point where we all speak a similar language as we get closer to their height in evolution.

Comment

for the wormhole without a stargate maybe u go thru it in a special ship that keeps u from breaking down.

acutally every human not on earth was put their by the gou'ald. Ra found earth and seeded the other world with humans. most freed themselves or are still enslaved. planets without stargates are ones they buried it a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X