This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe it's another alternate reality device
    Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

Originally posted by furling
      maybe it's another alternate reality device
      I think he's on the right track. Let's do the telephone/Stargate comparision one more time. We've got a regular number (7 symbols) and an area code (eight chevron). The ninth chevron would probably dial further than before, which probably means they could dial other universes. (if you're interested in the concept of the multiverse, read 'Timeline' by Michael Crichton. It's better than the movie, I swear)

Comment

I love timeline but i haven't seen the film, anyway...
        Yeah, the afterlife thing doesn't really seem plausable but i like the time travel theory, that's whay i've always assumed it to be for. can you imagine trying to do maths with stargate symbols? ("right, well this chevron plus this chevron should land us back in... um... 568ad." "are you sure carter?" "no.") now i think about it i don't see how a time and a destination can be dialed at the same time with just one extra chevron.
        the alternate universe theory is really cool, i never thought of that, the only problem i see is that there are way more universes than 37 (38 chevrons - point of origin) if we're gonna go with the theory that sg-1 were talking about with the alternate universe mirror. i also can't see how they would manage it, but it would be cool if tptb managed to get it to work somehow.
        i'm gonna go with im_just_guessing and say it's just there to look pretty.
        "It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse."

Comment

You know what? I think TPTB messed up when they made more chevrons than they could explain. They managed to find something for number 8 and now, if they don't tell us what number 9 is for, they'll be in trouble Of course, they could just keep it virgin for an arc about it in Atlantis...maybe it will introduce another spin-off someday

They probably have no idea what it does either. I'll go for "It's prettier this way"
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Its the speed dial chevron for Planet Pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt
              But anyways, I was watching the movie last night, and it came to me, don't you only need 4 points to locate any spot in a three dimensional space?
              Yeah I thought that too, but I remember seeing on some behind the scenes footage they were talking about that. Basically they decided to go with 6 points to make it more like a telephone system (so plebs would be more familiar with it I guess :shrugs: )

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt
                While the address is same from any planet, you still need the PoO to plot a course.

But anyways, I was watching the movie last night, and it came to me, don't you only need 4 points to locate any spot in a three dimensional space?

Look, on the segment formed by the first two points, the area your are trying to lock onto is on that line somewhere. And then the second two points' segment intersects the original segment, and where it intersects is where the point is you are trying to locate. See so isn't it redundant to have two more points? where the other two points just put in so that there was a possibility for more addresses?
                I was wondering that too. You would need one for the y (left-right), x (backwards-forwards) and z (up-down) dimensions and point of orgin but that should be it. I dont remember if they talk about it in detail. The only reason you would need 2 for each direction is if they added up together to equal the distance.

It seems to me that the 9th chevron would be used to travel to even farther out. Like another cluster of galaxies. The stargate as only been used for going from one point to another and not through time. Plus the Ancients hadn't perfected time travel when the stargates went in. The only problem is the amount of energy it would take to open a wormhole to another cluster of galaxies.
                Last edited by SmartFox; 09 February 2005, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Can't it be the only way to unlock the shield protecting the real ancient Homeworld!!!!! Would be fun don't you think!!!!!!
                  Understand this , There was once an Alliance of four great races in the Galaxy : The Asgards, The Nox, the Furlings and The Ancients The Builders of the Stargates!!!!!

Comment

I think the Ancients put it there as a redundancy. I dont think they went to many galaxies, but they put it there just incase. Like the spare buttons on your cars dashboard.

When the time comes for hte ancients to explore a new universe then yes they will use the 9th chevron. Unfortunatly a plague hit them and they ascended so its kinda moot now. Only 8 chevrons will ever be used.
                    The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

Originally posted by Fox McCloud
                      I think the Ancients put it there as a redundancy. I dont think they went to many galaxies, but they put it there just incase. Like the spare buttons on your cars dashboard.

When the time comes for hte ancients to explore a new universe then yes they will use the 9th chevron. Unfortunatly a plague hit them and they ascended so its kinda moot now. Only 8 chevrons will ever be used.
                      Exactly.

Reserved For Future Use.

Too bad their all dead now. Oh well. maybe in a few thousand years the Tau'ri will use it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Will we be able to go so far out that it would require a ninth chevron.
                        And would there be a need too.
                        The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

I like the future use thing I mean we know they got more advandced since they started bilding the gates right? like some ancient said hey we could fit on 2 more and use em later! the used the 8th but we don't know if they got to the ninth. Oh! maybe 2 way travel without redialing? or maybe it's the "no hassle" way to ascend? like if they had to evac but could only acend and didn't have time for all that "let go" crap?

Comment

Originally posted by Fox McCloud
                            Will we be able to go so far out that it would require a ninth chevron.
                            And would there be a need too.
                            With access to Atlantis, I can see intergalactic Exploration being a very real possibility.
                            sigpic

Comment

maybe another demensoin

Comment

The 9th chevron really wouldn't work for time would it? When you think about it, even if it you gave each Chevron a year notation, they only leaves you a limited amount of years, and since time is infinite you would have to have infinite chevrons. The same concept applies to Dimensions, you would have to have an infinite amount.

I believe it is more of a redundancy thing.
                                1.) You have 6 chevrons to plot a destination, when you really only need 4, you have one as your destination...

2.) The 8th is another galaxy, but realisticly you would need at least several more to pinpoint an area in that galaxy. It would be like drawing a line infinitely into space...
                                From the Cartoon Network show
                                "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"

[Oglethorpe has built a copy of the Stargate]
                                Emory: Isn't that the Starga—

Oglethorpe: NO! It is the FARGATE! It is not some other kind of gate from a movie or TV show that I've never seen! Notice that it has a wheelchair and a pink mohawk? We're not getting sued!

Emory: But it—

Oglethorpe: No, it is a Fargate! From the makers of Thindependence Day!

Comment

Working...
                                X