This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMForeman
    I've revised my theory on the 9th Chevron. Instead of dialing different Galactic Groups, like I have previously postulated, I think the 9th Chevron is for generating endless threads about what it does.
    It's crazy, but it just might work!
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002
      by control crystals do you mean this:

or this:
      because you dont need the first one to dial the gate and the sgc has 9 of the second pic but 2 are under the ramp
      U need the extra control to dial the 8th chevron
      not all dhds can dial it
      if u look at pegasis, only the dhd in atlantis can dial the 8th chevron coz it has an extra control circuit.
      Earth can also dial the 8th chevron coz the control circuit was added by o'neill

Comment

so back to my original statement, IF there is anything with the 9th...n it could just be a back up in case one of the others go down lol...than someone needs to go stick their head in a repository n get what it does

Comment

Altho its annoyin because...

just because the ancients are more advanced doesnt mean theyd know how to work our tech...the asgard would have a hard time doing our type of weapon tech because they wouldnt think of it. its kinda arrogant to assume they would always know because were inferior. Tho i guess it saves story time

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge Baal
            Just think like an Ancient and all things are possible.
            Last I heard, an Ancient needs an asgard transporter powered by a ZPM running way above maximum effeciency to screw in a lightbulb, and would prefer rebuilding atlantis instead.
            A Tau'ri, on the other hand, would screw in a light bulb by simply screwing in a light bulb. An ancient would never think of doing that.
            A stargate is a hyperspace window generating electromagnet capable of focusing a semi-stable wormhole through hyperspace that will emerge at another hyperspace window generating electromagnet at a specified position in space-time (so long as it's this time you're heading to ) and sending a one-way matter stream through to the other side. The hard part is making the gate capable of recieving an incoming wormhole and connecting to multiple wormholes. (see "Ascention" 5x03)
            Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              fisrt of all it would be very stupid to make the gate go back in time and not allow it to travel to another point in space at teh same time, and also if the gate had a atime travel funtion on it than why (WARNING STARGATE ATLANTIS THE GIFT)
              Spoiler:
              would the ancient need to build a time ship and then did you see how the old ancient reacted to the time ship and did you also notice that the entire board of ancients or whatever you call them voted for the time ship to be destroyed,
              they did this because the ancients knew that the effects of time travel could be potentially diasterous on the space time continum, but lets say for the fact of argument that the ancients didnt realize the effects that time travel can have (see grandfather paradox etc.) when they put the function on the gate, then why would they leave the ninth chevrons on all of the stargates leaving the time travel fuction potentialy still activated, leaving a function that could posibly desstroy the universe as we know it on the piece of technology that is used most often in our galaxy, answer that you dont even need to read the spoilers for this to make sesnse
              That spoiler was "Before I Sleep", not "The Gift"
              Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Maybe the 9th Chevron is for Asgard/Ancient homelands?

Comment

Its more likely that it adds a new distance calculation like the 8th chev. Or maybe a personalized home address.

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
                    heres my idea, dunno if its been mentioned before:

7 chevrons - somewhere in our galaxy
                    8 chevrons - a galaxy within the local group e.g. Pegasus, Ida
                    9 chevrons - galaxies in an external group

maybe this was the antiants origional intention but never got to make use of number nine.

My thought exactly. I think some of you are making too much of it.

The way i see it the stargates are like the telephone system. You have 'transmitters' and 'receivers', and you also have different 'codes' for diferent areas

IE:-
                    7 Chevrons - local area dialing ('home' galaxy)
                    8 Chevrons - national dialing (different galaxies within local group)
                    9 Chevrons - international dailing - (different group of galaxies within known universe)

its as simple as that.

Comment

This is going to sound so incredibly stupid, that you wouldnt actually believe im a fan, but i didnt even know there WAS a ninth chevron. Hehe. PLease dont throw your colective keyboards at me. I'm and innocent.

Supreme Comander of the SS Yet-To-Be-Named.

Comment

I'm one of the folks who things it's a sort of Country Code, like RichardF said; you've got local, "long distance" (that much is accurate, we know) and then "international".

But... I'm not ready to think it was ever actively used. Something there to make sure the Gate network would never outgrow itself. That would be kind of a bummer... using the same near-perfect system for a few million years and then 'oops! we can't make any more!' Of course, the Ancients died out/ascended... so I don't think it was ever regularly used, if at all.

Spoiler:
                        If Atlantis itself didn't have a 9th Control Crystal, I'm positive the Chevron wasn't ever used. Especially after they left and were confined to good ol' Milky Way again.

As for the 'wormhole-to-no-gate' theory, pardon my bluntness, but... what ARE you thinking? It is a well-established fact that a Gate simply can't even lock onto a point in space without another Gate to receive the stream. If you could, that would seriously mess up the current understanding of their wormhole physics.

If, for some reason, you COULD force the Gate to make a half-connection to a random point in space, you won't get reintegrated, period. You'd spill out the end as a raw matter stream and cease to exist. But half-wormholes, in the first place, are a bit farfetched, don't you think? Heh...

It could be used to interface with non-Ancient "stream processing devices", but, to be honest, the Ancients were the oldest, most advanced race in their known universe. I doubt they met anyone who even came close to developing their own wormhole network.

*SPOILERS USED TO EXPLAIN AWAY THE TIME-TRAVEL THEORY*

Spoiler:
                        As for time travel, the Ancients had built the Stargate BEFORE the device on SG-1's Window of Opportunity... you know, that time-bubble machine thing, and it was imperfect. ...and in Atlantis' Before I Sleep, time-travel experiments were actively banned by the Atlantis Council, and they were severely ticked when they learned that a working time-machine was built, anyway. They were extremely conscious to the fact that tampering with space-time would bestow a gigantic responsibility on the traveller to not mess with the current timeline, and, if they did, the results would be devestating. Perhaps the Gate was an experiment that lead to the banning, but, really... it doesn't take much thought to know that screwing around with time is deadly, heh.

So... chalk up one for the Distance Theory, whee.

I've also seen these threads countless times... we won't ever reach a common verdict without seeing the thing in action.

Comment

Since in season nine, SG-1 is getting a new beginning, many new characters, fewer old faces (RDA), getting into the origins of the ancients and the gates, and the introduction of a new villian that makes the Goa'uld look like squirrels.

I think that they should get into the reason their is a ninth chevron and what it does. It could connect one to the afterlife.

Comment

To the afterlife? Of ALL the theories Ive read about Chevvy the Ninth, that is by far the CRAZIEST! And stupid, if they use it.

Im going to go out on a limb, and say that it is there for symmetry
                            FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

I think that it may be used for time travel as many people have stated before, we know the gate can be used to travel in time and we know the ancients have looked into time travel so it may be a logical guess to think that it may have something to do with that.

Comment

However, it has been established that they built the gate system BEFORE they got into, or failed/succeeeded with time travel.
                                FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Working...
                                X