Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fisrt of all it would be very stupid to make the gate go back in time and not allow it to travel to another point in space at teh same time, and also if the gate had a atime travel funtion on it than why (WARNING STARGATE ATLANTIS THE GIFT)
    Spoiler:
    would the ancient need to build a time ship and then did you see how the old ancient reacted to the time ship and did you also notice that the entire board of ancients or whatever you call them voted for the time ship to be destroyed,
    they did this because the ancients knew that the effects of time travel could be potentially diasterous on the space time continum, but lets say for the fact of argument that the ancients didnt realize the effects that time travel can have (see grandfather paradox etc.) when they put the function on the gate, then why would they leave the ninth chevrons on all of the stargates leaving the time travel fuction potentialy still activated, leaving a function that could posibly desstroy the universe as we know it on the piece of technology that is used most often in our galaxy, answer that you dont even need to read the spoilers for this to make sesnse

Comment

hiya

i reckon it has something to do with multiple gates on the same planet.

6 symbols
      7 - point of origon
      8 - the particular galaxy
      9 - a specific gate

if chervrom 9 wassnt used in dialing, the worm hoel woudl go to the "default" gate,

it coudl be liek a memory thing, the 9th chevron is the gate of origen ( so that way sg1 woudlent come back through the russian stargate when they had it.
      it transmits the origion of the gate to teh DHD on teh other world, and teh DHD then lists that gate as the "default" gate?

any good?

Comment

Originally posted by drummerguy5
        hiya

i reckon it has something to do with multiple gates on the same planet.

6 symbols
        7 - point of origon
        8 - the particular galaxy
        9 - a specific gate

if chervrom 9 wassnt used in dialing, the worm hoel woudl go to the "default" gate,

it coudl be liek a memory thing, the 9th chevron is the gate of origen ( so that way sg1 woudlent come back through the russian stargate when they had it.
        it transmits the origion of the gate to teh DHD on teh other world, and teh DHD then lists that gate as the "default" gate?

any good?
        thats very posible but so far the only planet that they have found morethan one stargate on is earth, and what about the eight chevron, what would be very more probable is that the eight chevron would be a specific gate on a planet and the ninth would be another distance calc(unfortunatly we know what the eight chevron does), also the ancients had no need to move gates around they would just make another one it has been proven that the goa;uld moved gates around such as the earth gates, so sorry about that but i dont think that is it

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          I hate to be picky, but you can't have a 'smaller singularity'. By its very nature, a singularity is...well, singular. It has no up, down or in, it is a single point without dimensions and can therefore be neither enlarged or reduced; it just is.

Also, basic geometry here. If I have a cylinder (let's ignore gravitational distortion of the wormhole path for now) that is about six foot in radius and - for the sake of argument - eighteen sentisquijillion feet in length, what will be the major contriubtor to the overall volume of that cylinder? Even if you did contract the event horizon to a singularity, the major components of power expenditure surely must be the sheer, mindboggling distance. Moreover, I would have thought that forming the worhole must be the costly bit; maintaining it would be relatively simple, once you've overcome the universe's initial reluctance to fold two points in space time onto one another.
          i get wat you are saying the math is right but there are two other things wrong. first the worhole can be smaller and by wormhole i mean event horizon see that episode of sg1 wen the ancient builds a gate in carters basment it is significantly smaller and if you can limit the size of the event horizon enough into decimal numbers lets say we are talking in mm then if you could limit it to a 400 digit decimal number in milimeters (or even smaller) than the volume of the wormhole would be smaller not big enough for a person but more than enough room for a radio signal and the sencond thing thats rong is that forming the wormhole is the easy part and sustaining it is the harder part (see leters from pegasus, SGA) the forming takes a burst of energy but all toether the energy needed to keep the gae open would be significantly larger than the amount of energy needed to open the wormhole in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by roswellgray
            um.....what? The pilot episode Rising shows clearly that puddlejumpers were on Earth when Atlantis departed for Pegasus.
            i dont remember that episode but i will watch it tomorow on the movie network on demand and check it out u are probably righttho but that is not the important part of my theory and like some one said before (i think it was mr. prophet) why would the ninth chevron have anything to do with it they are just dialing into a gate for the sake of argument and pjs had beacons like that they might have to dial nine symbols but first i doubt it very much and second why would they stick a ninth chevvron on evry stargate (and im pretty sure that the stargates were made before puddle jumpers anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              i get wat you are saying the math is right but there are two other things wrong. first the worhole can be smaller and by wormhole i mean event horizon see that episode of sg1 wen the ancient builds a gate in carters basment it is significantly smaller and if you can limit the size of the event horizon enough into decimal numbers lets say we are talking in mm then if you could limit it to a 400 digit decimal number in milimeters (or even smaller) than the volume of the wormhole would be smaller not big enough for a person but more than enough room for a radio signal and the sencond thing thats rong is that forming the wormhole is the easy part and sustaining it is the harder part (see leters from pegasus, SGA) the forming takes a burst of energy but all toether the energy needed to keep the gae open would be significantly larger than the amount of energy needed to open the wormhole in the first place
              Then say wormhole and not singularity, please. Of course, this does bring up the issue of how big the wormhole is; if that's always been <10^-400mm in radius, which is possible, then reducing the event horizon would have even less effect.

Anyway, keyhole wormholes notwithstanding, from what you're saying about Letter from Pegasus, the biggest power requirement is still that surge used in the creation of the wormhole. Isn't that what the ZPM is supposed to be really good for? Supplying a lot of energy in one go? That's why the booster was needed to open a wormhole to Ida in The Fifth Race; you need a kick to get going. My impression was that thereafter the SGC generators were able to maintain the wormhole - maintenance may take more energy, but less power.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I disagree with this theory about the 9th Chevron.

1 If Jumpers can make wormholes, why bother with Stargates ?
                2 There is ZERO Evidence for this theory.
                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  Then say wormhole and not singularity, please. Of course, this does bring up the issue of how big the wormhole is; if that's always been <10^-400mm in radius, which is possible, then reducing the event horizon would have even less effect.

Anyway, keyhole wormholes notwithstanding, from what you're saying about Letter from Pegasus, the biggest power requirement is still that surge used in the creation of the wormhole. Isn't that what the ZPM is supposed to be really good for? Supplying a lot of energy in one go? That's why the booster was needed to open a wormhole to Ida in The Fifth Race; you need a kick to get going. My impression was that thereafter the SGC generators were able to maintain the wormhole - maintenance may take more energy, but less power.
                  I would agree with you if it weren't for Letters:
                  Spoiler:
                  They were able to open a wormhole to Earth, but could only sustain it for 1.3 seconds because it would require a ZPM to sustain it further or to send anybody

Comment

How can we make the 9th Chevron work ?
                    What I mean is:

Even if know what it does..no control crystal to lock it in.
                    The SGC Gate has no crystals, and the Ancient program O'Neill wrote only covers Eight chevrons.
                    And the Atlantis Gate has only eight crystals.
                    Ideas anyone ?
                    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Fox'atuus
                      Okay, First let's just take a history lesson (might help from getting silly speculation happening)

Now we know after the film they got both a Air force and a Science Tech Advisor, so whatever answer requires some reality/theory to back it up.

Okay, the basics

In Galaxy dialing - first 6 designate the target planet (by 3D spacial triangulation, we already do this in 3d models to place discovered planets in our galaxy), and the 7th is the finished signal and sets the open point for the wormhole.

Out Galaxy Dialing - First 6 Designate a point in space, 7th designates which Galaxy and 8th acts as the Point of Origin (PoG)

now with that behind us lets look at the 9th Chevron.

Now... first the obvious answers.
                      - used for distance calculations to other universes. (it has been theorised that there may be universes outside ours)
                      - Diagnostic modes
                      - Acts like Dialing 1 or 0, which then designates the primary power source.

Now we can return to the further odd and bizzare speculations. though I think the most obvious is the common deduction it adds a further distance calculation.

Now far as the speculation about deep space exploration

okay, we know hyper drive exists and that the ancients as allies of the Ausgard would have it. Now, even the Ausgard (those as advanced as the ancients) still require BIG engines for HS windows, and this after centeries in which to evolve technologically.

So most likely the Ancents would travel to a point via conventonal HS (or maybe modified like the outcome of when the sun when nova and threw SG1 & Appophis to the Ausgard galaxy)

- Fox'atuus
                      I thought out of galaxy was, 6 to determine the place, 7 i thought was just a distance marker, not a specific galaxy(which is vastly different)...and the 8th being the point of origin.

Comment

Someone needs to go stick their head in a repository again

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
                          I would agree with you if it weren't for Letters:
                          Spoiler:
                          They were able to open a wormhole to Earth, but could only sustain it for 1.3 seconds because it would require a ZPM to sustain it further or to send anybody
                          Bah! Says I.

Comment

by control crystals do you mean this:

or this:
                            because you dont need the first one to dial the gate and the sgc has 9 of the second pic but 2 are under the ramp
                            MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                            I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Using Jack's programme as a model they could reprogram the dialling computer, which doesn't need any control crystals.

Comment

I've revised my theory on the 9th Chevron. Instead of dialing different Galactic Groups, like I have previously postulated, I think the 9th Chevron is for generating endless threads about what it does.

-IMF
                                "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                                "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                                BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X