This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AncientOne View Post
    Not necessarily. The Stargates that Jack imputted in the SGC computer while under the Ancient Library's influence (The Fifth Race) were not on the Abydos cartouche, therefore unknown to the Goa'uld, and some had human life on it. Also, in Atlantis' "Rising", the hologram of that hottie Ancient stated that they seeded the Pegasus galaxy with human life. The Stargate is a great mass distribution method.
    The Ancients spread humans over Milky Way.Then a gallactic plague wiped out nearly all life in the Milky Way. So the Ancients then made a divice that can be used to make/destroy any kind of life disired and was capable of being sent through the stargate. They built it on Dak'ara and hid it in Mount Dak'ara. Later in the seires Anubis attempts to use this machine to wipe out life in the galaxy and then remake it in his own immage. Luckily the members of SG-1 save the day once again!

Comment

Perhaps the Ninth Chevron serves as Authentication.
      Gates that have been made unaccessible by any regular dial-up. XXXXXXLGA wouldn't be the correct format then, but rather a 9 symbol address that corresponds directly to one of these Gates, where the X, L G & A parameters aren't required.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jackson View Post
        Perhaps the Ninth Chevron serves as Authentication.
        Gates that have been made unaccessible by any regular dial-up. XXXXXXLGA wouldn't be the correct format then, but rather a 9 symbol address that corresponds directly to one of these Gates, where the X, L G & A parameters aren't required.
        so 9 chevron addresses are part of a closed system?
        SG-1 members
        Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by TheAncientOne View Post
          Only problem with extensions in my mind is that the Ancients were more advanced than the Asgard and the Asgard and teleport to any location on a planet from a ship. So wouldn't it be more likely that the Ancients used a handheld device (or something else) to teleport all over the planet, rather than makign multiple gates for one planet?
          Remembering that while the Ancients were more advanced than the Asgard, the Asgards' technology is different. ZPM's might not need to be utilized.
          Although apparently they can be jimmy rigged to fit any situation. Seems a good plot device.

Anyways, as far as physics go the ancients seemed to have been reaching some interesting limits... The Asgard would likely reach some similar limit.
          Also, as far as beaming tech goes the Ancients didn't seem to have it all kinds of down pat. The most they had is similar to Wraith in that they could do it all about the Atlantis city and other city-ships.

As I've said before, I'm tired. I'll check this up on tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkmajor View Post
            so 9 chevron addresses are part of a closed system?
            That is a possibility. I'd guess there's only 2 nine chevron addresses, one to get to the destiny and one to get back to earth.
            Spoiler:
            where the destiny is supposed to be dialled from, as mentioned in the 5 minute preview
            As the destiny is moving around it would make sense that the addresses automatically seeks the specific gate wherever it is in the universe rather than seeking the spacial coordinates and then connecting to a gate in that region.
            Spoiler:
            this is based on rush saying they have known the address for awhile, that means that given the ship is moving the address is static

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph View Post
              Okay, we all know the basic deal: 1-6 are for a location, 7th is a Point of Origin.

So Normal Address:
              XXXXXXY
              X-Location
              Y-Point of Origin

Okay, now from the 5th race and Atlantis we have 8-Chevron address:
              XXXXXXAY
              X-Location
              A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
              Y-Point of Origin

Alright, now we have the 9th Chevron which has yet to be used, now here is an idea i read and i kinda like it: an Extension. This would come into play when there is more than one gate in a given area. Now i know you already think: well, duh, that cant be true because we had two gates, and we never needed to use the 9th chevron. Well right you are, because if the Ninth isnt used it goes the to the Primary gate, which so happened to be ours.

Okay, so here is how i think a 9 Gate Address would go.
              XXXXXXABY
              X-Location
              A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
              B-"Extension" (Gate Selector)
              Y-Point of Origin.

Now if you wanted to go to a planet with more than one gate in the same galaxy you just ignore the area code, which would just mean that it activates a different chevron.

In other words, each chevron has a duty, even in a 8 or 9 glyph address

1-6 are ALWAYS destination glyphs
              7 is ALWAYS point of origin
              8 is ALWAYS galactic addresses
              9 is ALWAYS a gate selector

all thats different is the order the chevrons activate.
              for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
              for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
              for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
              for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7

okay, what do you think?

doesn't matter how many chevrons are used the last chevron is always the point of origin ALWAYS

Comment

Originally posted by fallenexile452 View Post
                As the destiny is moving around it would make sense that the addresses automatically seeks the specific gate wherever it is in the universe rather than seeking the spacial coordinates and then connecting to a gate in that region.
                Spoiler:
                this is based on rush saying they have known the address for awhile, that means that given the ship is moving the address is static
                Not necessarily.

If each 9-chevron address were to represent a region the size of galaxy or cluster (not entirely impossible: a regular 7-chevron address covers hundreds of stars), then the Destiny could travel for years or even decades without going far enough to reach a new address.

Originally posted by gooran View Post
                doesn't matter how many chevrons are used the last chevron is always the point of origin ALWAYS
                If you will notice, he said that "7" was the Point of Origin and gave the orders:

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph View Post
                for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
                for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
                for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
                for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7
                In other words, he still had the Point of Origin as the last symbol. Also, you should note that the Point of Origin isn't a "chevron," which is one of the vaguely triangular things, it is a "glyph" (i.e., symbol).

Anyway, my question on that is how someone would engage the ninth chevron without engaging the eighth first.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  Not necessarily.

If each 9-chevron address were to represent a region the size of galaxy or cluster (not entirely impossible: a regular 7-chevron address covers hundreds of stars), then the Destiny could travel for years or even decades without going far enough to reach a new address.

If you will notice, he said that "7" was the Point of Origin and gave the orders:

In other words, he still had the Point of Origin as the last symbol. Also, you should note that the Point of Origin isn't a "chevron," which is one of the vaguely triangular things, it is a "glyph" (i.e., symbol).

Anyway, my question on that is how someone would engage the ninth chevron without engaging the eighth first.
                  i reckon that's a scripting error
                  yeah, i've been wondering that for a while now: i understand how they could do it on the dialing computer - Carter/McKay could invent a program that "tells" the gate to move straight to the 9th chevron, but to a DHD, how did they do it?
                  Last edited by hawkmajor; 09 September 2009, 11:05 AM. Reason: "for cryin' out loud
                  SG-1 members
                  Atlantis Team members

Comment

Hi Guys,
                    My theory,
                    7 chevron= same galaxy
                    8 chevron= different galaxy
                    9 chevron= different universe
                    Teal'c Rocks
                    :indeed:
                    This is what happens when teal'c attacks goa'uld
                    :tealc39:+:bratacanime13:=:samanime27:(i know its sam, but pretend its a goa'uld:indeed:

Mackay is annoing,
                    :mckayanime18:
                    NO YOUR NOT

Another funny Sig from HamishRules

Comment

Originally posted by HamishRules View Post
                      Hi Guys,
                      My theory,
                      7 chevron= same galaxy
                      8 chevron= different galaxy
                      9 chevron= different universe
                      thats a good one, but i still stand by the original theory
                      SG-1 members
                      Atlantis Team members

Comment

Thanks HawkMajor, I also like the first theory.
                        Teal'c Rocks
                        :indeed:
                        This is what happens when teal'c attacks goa'uld
                        :tealc39:+:bratacanime13:=:samanime27:(i know its sam, but pretend its a goa'uld:indeed:

Mackay is annoing,
                        :mckayanime18:
                        NO YOUR NOT

Another funny Sig from HamishRules

Comment

Originally posted by HamishRules View Post
                          Thanks HawkMajor, I also like the first theory.
                          thats ok, i actually prefer thr first one though
                          SG-1 members
                          Atlantis Team members

Comment

Different universe? As in...alternate universe?
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              Not necessarily.

By engaging your own galaxy's chevron?
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                                By engaging your own galaxy's chevron?
                                I think that when you say, "your own galaxy's chevron," you mean "your own galaxy's eighth chevron glyph," but I can't be sure.

In any case, that would still be a 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 dial, not a 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7 dial, so that isn't what the person was describing.

Also, there is the little issue of how someone could...
                                Spoiler:
                                ...reach the Destiny...

...using such a system, now that I actually look at it. The way it was described, it couldn't get any further than the eighth chevron could.
                                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
                                X