X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the BOOM?
    Originally posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
      What the BOOM?
      No, the sound of your stupidity.
      Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

9th chevron = Sliders all over again

Little off topic, but was wondering. When the tollen built their own stargate... did it have 9 chevrons on it? I'm assuming if it did... they knew what it was for?

Comment

Too bad they're all dead, but seriously, apparently Wikipedia (yes, I know) has the answer Click here (MAJOR Spoilers), and scroll down to Stargate Universe.
          sigpic
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Offworlder View Post
            Too bad they're all dead, but seriously, apparently Wikipedia (yes, I know) has the answer Click here (MAJOR Spoilers), and scroll down to Stargate Universe.
            None of that info is new. Good find though! Wiki is great, except the timeline page could ues a LOT of work. But yeah, this info was publicly released a while back.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

I thought the ninth chevron would enable travel among different universes. Apparently, all it does is ending a series and starting a new one. A bit anti-climatic but that’s technology for you.
              sigpic
              Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
              Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                I thought the ninth chevron would enable travel among different universes. Apparently, all it does is ending a series and starting a new one. A bit anti-climatic but that’s technology for you.
                Far truer than I'd like to admit.

By the way, does anyone seriously think that the writers had planned this for the 9th chevron from the beginning? When they introduced the 8th extra chevron and the fact that it dialed another galaxy do you really think this current SGU plot was in their minds, or are you like me and think it's just something crappy they've thrown together over the past year?
                Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

^^^ something very crappy, but thats just me
                  Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                    By the way, does anyone seriously think that the writers had planned this for the 9th chevron from the beginning? When they introduced the 8th extra chevron and the fact that it dialed another galaxy do you really think this current SGU plot was in their minds, or are you like me and think it's just something crappy they've thrown together over the past year?
                    I’ve heard discussions concerning the ninth chevron a few years ago, mostly among fans, hence my hypothesis of the jumping between different universes.

As for the writers, only they know if this was just a lame excuse to start another series, or this situation was all but another casualty of the writer’s strike last year. I'd say the writers/ producers knew very well a TV show has an expiration rate, so they had to show something else. Survival game, I guess. But the act of killing the current show while it still has a strong fan base and good ratings feels disrespectful and lacks sense of timing. The quitting while we're ahead sounds good but I seldom see people enforcing it, especially when there's money involved.
                    sigpic
                    Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                    Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

I think the ninth chevron would have to be position reference related and going from a specific to a more general as with the eighth being "bigger" like an area code.

Everything else, go to second gate, more than one gate, booby traps, etc. can be handled by reprogrammming the DHD.

I have tried not to look too hard at the star constellation approach to the symbols because it has been great for some really clever plot development, but, if the Milky Way gates are all from Earth perspective, we have a problem since constellations will look different from other locations than Earth in the galaxy. Otherwise we have to chisel a different set of symbols on each gate which would mean each gate would be "dedicated" to a specific solar system which would still get all messed up when a gate gets moved.

The more "high-tech" Pegasus gates don't have such a problem since the constellations display as lights which can be conveniantly reprogrammed as needed. However, there is a disadvantage in that there doesn't seem to be any way to manually dial a Pegasus gate, as with the presumably older-model rotating-ring Milky Way gates. The design assumption must be that the user would have a portable hand-held dialer as demonstrated by Baal in "Continuum", presumably that he took in conquest of Apophis, now, a scarce, if not, one-of-a-kind device to survive intervening millenia as part of Apophis' rare device collection.

At this point we can also imagine that Apophis treasure trove also included the handfull of exotic three-shot Zats no longer seen since the beginning of the SG1 series. Obviously they all got blown up except the one O'Neill used in "1969", but, maybe that one ran out of power or otherwise eventually stopped working due to its experimental prototype nature. Seems like it would deplete a lot of power to disintegrate things so completely.

BTW, the hand-held gate dialer also solves the continuity problem in the SG pilot of: How did Apophis get back through the Earth gate? Manually dialing, the obvious solution, was not very satisfying because we did not see it and there was not enough time elapsed. If they ever re-master, it would be so nice if they added a close-ups of Apohis's hand affixing and removing the device and a minor CGA tweak to show it in place between those shots.

Anyway, in further regard to the ninth chevron, I think that selecting an alternate universe is out because there would have been no need to build the Quantuum Mirror. The mirror's functionality and mode of operation were shown to be completely different than a gate as well. Too bad General Hammond ordered it destroyed. Or... was it? <g>

No, the ninth chevron, imo, could best be imagined as providing a maximum scope point-of origin reference.

default would be:

Nil : default, whatever galactic cluster Milky Way & Pegasus galaxies are in.

Intervening Entries : "Nearby" enumerated-by-symbol galactic cluster selection, as viewed from originating galactic cluster gate system.

Max Selection : The center of the universe, such that the universe is thought to have an actual topographical center. (Just threw that in. May need to think about that one some more. <g>)

We have never seen it used because, presumably the power requirements would be enormous, say, the power required to run a supergate, just to use a regular size gate. Not to mention the logistic problem of getting destination gates out that far to begin with.
                      "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Comment

mm ive been thinking. the 9th chevron would be an unique chevron. then indeed, the 9 chevron adress isnt a Coordinate, but the gate designation. so you dial a gate, not a location. [normally, its a location, its a location roughly the size of a solar system. outside that, it wont work anymore]

this gate could be dialled via forwarding like i said. or a direct dial. but the direct dial would require massive amounts of energy. so i was thinking. what if there were hundreds of subspace tabs building up this charge, then once a year the gate can be dialled to that place?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          mm ive been thinking. the 9th chevron would be an unique chevron. then indeed, the 9 chevron adress isnt a Coordinate, but the gate designation. so you dial a gate, not a location. [normally, its a location, its a location roughly the size of a solar system. outside that, it wont work anymore]

this gate could be dialled via forwarding like i said. or a direct dial. but the direct dial would require massive amounts of energy. so i was thinking. what if there were hundreds of subspace tabs building up this charge, then once a year the gate can be dialled to that place?
                          this is something akin to an idea i had.

rather than dialing a specific location, you gate to a specific "object" and/or location with custom program.

and it would not require a gate on the other side, it would be using the stargates rather than as wormhole generators, but rather an extremely long distance teleporter.

say there are like 38/39 pre-programmed objects/locations in the DHD, but there is also the option of programming your own if you know how. and 1 of them is the bridge of the destiny.

and thats why it would require much more power, it wont nessecarily use a stargate to re-constitute the matter on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by dwdcomic View Post
                            If I understand the spoiler info for Stargate: Universe correctly, the 9th Chevron is used to gate to the Stargate Seed Ship that the ancients sent out.
                            at least some one knows what its for! it was used for dialling the seeding ship.
                            why, because imagine the crew of the ship go to a planet and forget to return to the ship. they then would dial the stargate including the ninth chevron to dial the ship. its that simple!

Comment

lol good awnser there talus, thats my exact theory on the 9th, i got so sick of the repeating 3-4 theory's coming out of people that were basically shots in the dark and had nothing to do with anything from the series

Comment

I wish the new cheveron colors in SGU was lime-green like the colors of the ipods! I love ipods and stargate!

Friends Forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X