This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
    I find The whole "9th chevron automatically finds and connects to a ship" thing kinda dumb. It goes against everything we know about how the gate works. The most logical conclusion to what the 9th chevron does is it connects to more gates.
    The ship will end up being the address they have for this new galaxy, sort of like how Atlantis was the first address they had for Pegasus.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by carbonoid View Post
      And this is carved in stone is it? If so i would like to see it please
      Actually it's carved into the StarGate. Watch the episodes The Fifth Race, Point of View and Rising Pt. I.

And you may actually want to read my first post on this thread fully before you start jabbing your fingers against you keyboard.
      I read your first post. It makes no sense for the StarGate to work as a transportation device and then suddenly change into a time machine for no reason.

Maybe you are just jealous because and you never came up with such a tight theory before me.
      Wow, an ad hominem attack and improper usage of the word 'theory' in the same sentence. This has to be a GateWorld first!
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
        I read your first post. It makes no sense for the StarGate to work as a transportation device and then suddenly change into a time machine for no reason.
        QFT

And don't we have enough 9th Chevron threads?

Comment

or it could just be a dozen ZPMs.
          no wonder they are scarce...haha =)

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
            QFT

And don't we have enough 9th Chevron threads?
            Yes there are definitely enough 9th chevron threads.

Although credit where credit is due, its not very often you get such a well thought out theory around here, and if we didn't already know the basis for SG:U I imagine alot of the people putting the theory down would be applauding carbonoid for trying so hard to make it sound sense.

While there is no precedent for the Ancients to intentionally build the gates to do time travel (as we know, they can do it by accident), I've definitely heard some worse 9th chevron theories around here.

So well done carbonoid, for going to the effort of creating a plausible and well thought out theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
              Actually it's carved into the StarGate. Watch the episodes The Fifth Race, Point of View and Rising Pt. I.

Wow, an ad hominem attack and improper usage of the word 'theory' in the same sentence. This has to be a GateWorld first!
              Actuall it does not "suddenly" turn in to a time machine that is part of its original design, the worm hole it generates goes through sub-space on this plane space and time are compressed into a small point and move different. When one normally travels to another planet he is just moving through space that is because thats all he wants to do, if you want to move through time and space you must tell the Star Gate that is what you want to do.

And we don't come here to be corrected on how we write but to let other people know our thoughts
              Last edited by carbonoid; 01 May 2008, 08:26 AM.
              Hmm, the 9th Chevron

Comment

Do we always follow the written instructions?

I think not plus I'm talking about activating the 9th chevron before any of the other chevrons, which is not impossible.

You can still activate the chevrons in the standard order 1 to 9 or you can activate 9 first then 1 to 8, lets face it we don't know untill we try so my theory could still hold.
                Hmm, the 9th Chevron

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                  That thing from that planet featured on Atlantis, were the Ancients tried to extract subspace energy from our own universe.
                  You're thinking of the Arcturus Project.
                  It was designed to extract energy from our own universe, generating 25 ZPMs worth of zero point energy.
                  sigpic
                  Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign

Comment

Originally posted by Arcturus8 View Post
                    You're thinking of the Arcturus Project.
                    It was designed to extract energy from our own universe, generating 25 ZPMs worth of zero point energy.
                    i dont recall anywhere in any episode where they actually said how many ZPMs project arcturus would theoretically be.

i remember Mckay saying that project arcturus was vertially limitless power, unless limitless power is 25 ZPMs (the amount of power in our universe). It that what you mean?

Comment

This arms race looks more and more like DBZ.

Super Sayan Form 666 GuuVejitaGokuBaalRaApophisUnasWraith vs Teh Tauri
                      sigpic
                      Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Originally posted by xSFx View Post
                        This arms race looks more and more like DBZ.

Super Sayan Form 666 GuuVejitaGokuBaalRaApophisUnasWraith vs Teh Tauri
                        Arms race?
                        what do yew mean?

Comment

The constant amassing of tech & energy sources.
                          sigpic
                          Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Here is my 3 possible ideas about the 9th chevron.

1. When the Ancients designed the stargates they put 9 chevrons on the gate. They used 7 chevrons for normal operations and the remaining 2 chevrons are for future expansions. When they needed to add a distance modifier they used the 8th chevron. The Ancients never got around to assigning a use for the 9th chevron.

2 When the Ancients designed the stargates they put 9 chevrons on the gate. They used 7 chevrons for normal operations and the remaining 2 chevrons are for future expansions. When they needed to add a distance modifier they used the 8th chevron. The Ancients did assign a use for the 9th chevron be we haven't figured it out yet.

3. The writers, creatures, producers and set designers designed the gate with 9 chevrons. They only used 7 chevrons keeping the other 2 for possible future plot development. They found use for the 8th chevron. They have not used the 9th chevron yet because they are not sure what it is going to to.

I don't think the writers will do anything about the 9th chevron. They will just leave it unassigned so the fans have something to speculate about.

Comment

It's probably just for looks, the stargate Samatha's friend built still had seven reconisable chevrons but it only went to one place.
                              Originally posted by Craig Charles
                              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                                It's probably just for looks, the stargate Samatha's friend built still had seven reconisable chevrons but it only went to one place.
                                yes but then again he was a former ancient i think.
                                oh and it was a one time use stargate so it didnt need to be a proper 9 chevron stargate though through this observation, yew can tell that a stargate does not need to have 9 chevrons to work and that travelling through the gate does not require a stargate to have 9 chevrons for a stargate to be used to travel to a location in the same galaxy.

and to the thing about the arms race, I think there will be a super ZPM to power the ships and I think to activate the 9th chevron will require a lot more power to activate it, something like atleast a few percent of a ZPM if not more.

Comment

Working...
                                X