This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fox'atuus
    We know the Atlantis gate is only one with enough juice to do 8 chevrons. So could say that say your on earth.. wanting to get to atlantis in pegasus.. you first dial the 8 chevrons then add the 9th "collect" glyph to ask the other gate to supply the required power to make the connection.

which is why i think that's one Plausable use for the 9th chevron.
    this could be semi correct the dialing gate would still need another power source just to activate the wormhole, after the wormhole is active simply shotting the stargate with an energy weapon will contribut power to the wormhole (it was in an episode of sg1 cant remember which one/too lazy to check), what it could do il open a smaller singulatrity like miniscule the siz of a pin and then the recieving gate would contribute power from its external source ex. a zpm on atlantis and then the wormhole would gradualy get bigger, thats the only way i can see your theory working, so far other than another distance calculation this is the most plausible theory... and i think it was ment as joke at first
    Last edited by _Owen_; 25 January 2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

i saw this on another thread and i think it was a very good theory, ive modified it a bit but i have the direct quote in there to

We know the Atlantis gate is only one with enough juice to do 8 chevrons. So could say that say your on earth.. wanting to get to atlantis in pegasus.. you first dial the 8 chevrons then add the 9th "collect" glyph to ask the other gate to supply the required power to make the connection.

this could be semi correct the dialing gate would still need another power source just to activate the wormhole, after the wormhole is active simply shotting the stargate with an energy weapon will contribut power to the wormhole (it was in an episode of sg1 cant remember which one/too lazy to check), what it could do il open a smaller singulatrity like miniscule the siz of a pin and then the recieving gate would contribute power from its external source ex. a zpm on atlantis and then the wormhole would gradualy get bigger, thats the only way i can see your theory working, so far other than another distance calculation this is the most plausible theory... and i think it was ment as joke at first

Comment

Originally posted by roswellgray
        My theory by my other nomme de plume is the best bet:

puddlejumpers and the ninth chevron
        actually no it would never happen but thanks for the link some other guy on there Fox'atuus posted a theory that i modified to be the most pluasible so far other than the distance calc theory (for post see directly above and below)

Comment

i saw this on another thread and i think it was a very good theory, ive modified it a bit but i have the direct quote in there to

Comment

beats the hell out of me, your asking the wrong guy

time travel capabilities?

alternate universes?

goes even farther than 8 chevy's?

all the gates in the galaxy activate and turn out to be one big honkin weapon LOL! I could already hear what o'neill would say if that happened
            the good ole days of sg-1

Comment

O'Neill: Well whaddya know? We've been getting ourselves in a whole lotta trouble to get a big, honkin' space gun and we had it right under our noses. Ya think the Ancients are all laughing their arses off right now? Largest prank played on the Universe.

Or something like that?
              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

You beat me to it

Comment

I hate to be picky, but you can't have a 'smaller singularity'. By its very nature, a singularity is...well, singular. It has no up, down or in, it is a single point without dimensions and can therefore be neither enlarged or reduced; it just is.

Also, basic geometry here. If I have a cylinder (let's ignore gravitational distortion of the wormhole path for now) that is about six foot in radius and - for the sake of argument - eighteen sentisquijillion feet in length, what will be the major contriubtor to the overall volume of that cylinder? Even if you did contract the event horizon to a singularity, the major components of power expenditure surely must be the sheer, mindboggling distance. Moreover, I would have thought that forming the worhole must be the costly bit; maintaining it would be relatively simple, once you've overcome the universe's initial reluctance to fold two points in space time onto one another.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Good thing it's only television.

Comment

My moved post from a thread I just created before I saw this one

So far some of theories include time travel, parallel universes, diagnostics, time travel, bagel oven and time travel.

How about this one:

We know the ancients terraformed the planets they deposited stargates on and changed them to more Earth like. Eventually these planets were seeded with life (fact for pegasus, speculation for MW although it has been hinted in recent years)

Due to the sheer time and effort required to dump a stargate on each planet, then terraform it, maybe all the ancients had to do was place a gate on an uninhabitable world, then later on, uber machine of life fires up the gate to destination world, with chevron 9 locked which causes the gate to create a 'genesis wave'

Could be that the 9th chevron allows other devices to interface with the energy fields created by the gate, maybe even the ancient device anubis used to destroy the Earth gate. That device could have been the anti-terraforming machine

Spoilers for late season 8
                      Spoiler:
                      Uber machine of life similar to the device on Ta'kara?

Just my 0.02$
                      That would explain how we went from "Your a pig, but I like your cat" to "I missed you"

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                        I have mentioned this theory before, and this is the last time I will bring it up, honest (I'm certain that you'd rather I just shut up about it, so one last time). Anyhow...

I believe that the Ninth Chevron is another distance calculator, allowing the Gate to select a different Galactic group. We know that the 8th Chevron selects other Galaxies, but there are way more galaxies than symbols available for the 8th Chevron. The Local Group of galaxies contains 30 Galaxies, which falls well within the 8th Chevron's symbol numbers. So, my thought is that the 9th Chevron allows you select a different galactic group or cluster, and the galaxies within. With all due respect to the Good Captain Bowman (who doesn't like my theory ), I think this fits well within the established logic of chevron functioning.

YMMV, and as there is no definite data either way, right now it's really for what you want it to be for.

-IMF

I'm in complete agreeance.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          i dont think that is what the ninth chevron would be for for starters the ninth chevron is on all of the gates inlcuding the gates in MW which were created first, the puddle jumpers look to have been created along with the Atlantis gates and technology, and since we have seen no other evidence of anything like puddle jumpers in the MW(they look to have been created for Pegasus, if they didnt have puddle jumpers than why would there be a ninth chevron on MW gates and dont you think that they would have discovered evidence of becaons wile looking at the pjs (im sure someone took them apart)
                          um.....what? The pilot episode Rising shows clearly that puddlejumpers were on Earth when Atlantis departed for Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by southside97
                            Please, no more time travel stuff. If they used the 9th chevron to time-travel, what if they travel to when the stargate never existed or created? how would they get back to the current time?
                            Wouldn't be any different than any other time travel episode. The possibility is always there and could have happened in "1969" if they weren't careful.

also the theory about dialing a planet with no stargate, wouldn't that be a one way trip then since it would create a wormhole where the stargate doesn't exist? can't go back, since there is NO stargate...
                            Yes it would be a one way trip unless they sent through a couple of puddle jumpers to construct a gate on the other side.

we barely use the 8th chevron via the our stargate to atlantis, and our gate to the asgard.
                            Yes but only because of power limitations since in both cases it's been a one shot deal. I think if we had fully powered ZPM's and had more than one we would be futzing with the 8th chevron more and more.
                            Lost Zinger of Atlantis: Excuse me! did you just say ass-chin?

Comment

do u not listen ITS NOT TIME TRAVEL leave it ALONE!!!
                              if u still dont belive me read this

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                              sorry but the ninth chevron has absolutly nothing to do with time travel (WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ATLANTIS SEASON ONE BEFORE I SLEEP HIGHLIGHT TO READ) why would that ancient guy need to build a time ship if the stargates ninth chevron was used for time travel , with all of the symbols on the stargate representing points in space then it would not be practical to use them as well for time then you would need several other chevrons, considering for the fact of argument that your theory is correct in that the ancients created the ninth chevron for time travel then you would only be able to go to 38 points in time (there are thirty eight symbols on the stargate) and considering that you would have to use the eight chevron as well (wich dosnt make sense because what if u wanted to time travel to a planet in your galaxy) but lets say for the fact of argument that some how when dialing the ninth chevron it overrides the function of the eigth chevron and makes it also for time travel than the most points in time you would be able to go to would be 76, to make your theory plausible then you would need 13 chevrons (regular 7 for inter-galaxy dialing, the eighth for outer-galaxy dialing, then a ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelveth and thirtheenth for year, days, hours, minutes, and seconds and considering that the ninth chevron would probably only activate the time travel function then you would need fourteen) and thousands more symbols on the stargate to specify the point in time you wish to go to. ALSO this theory is obviously NOT plausible because how would you be able to go back in time to a point when the gate network wasnt built therfore why would the ancients put this function on a newly built gate network, they wouldnt be able to use it for thousands of years unless of course that they wanted to go back to yesterday or something stupid like that. ALSO (WARNING MORE SPOILERS FROM ATLANTIS BEFORE I SLEEP HIGLIGHT TO READ) they way that the ancients reacted to the time ship that the guy was building obviously says that they know the effects of time travel and they know that gowing back in time and doing one very small thing could screw up the entire time space continum Thank you for reading now can we please close the time travel theory.
                              Last edited by _Owen_; 26 January 2005, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Technically the assumption that the gate would be severly limited by the number of symbols for time travel is incorrect and narrowminded. Just because the combination of symbols as currently used indicate a point in space does not mean that they would be used in the same fashion for time travel. We KNOW that the ancients used the gate to experiment with time travel but gave up due to the limited results they got. This does NOT mean they did not succeed at a later time.

Now for the technical aspect.....

If you take into account that the first symbol indicates a directional + multiplier command with the symbols 1-19 representing forward in time and 20-38 representing backwards in time, symbols 2-8 being the time factor, and the 9th symbol being the origin then you have a significant time frame that can be visited.

An example of the first chevron being -
                                symbol 1 - forward by X seconds
                                symbol 2 - forward by X minutes
                                symbol 19 - backward by X seconds
                                symbol 20 - backward by X minutes

chevron 2-8 indivate the time interval - 38 to the 7th power.

If you use symbol 1 as the first chevron (1 second increment) the use of chevrons 2-8 give you the ability to travel forward in time by a total of 114,415,582,592 seconds or around 3628 YEARS. If you use the second symbol for chevron 1 (minutes) that's a bit over 217,000 years.

Your dialing sequence looks like this:

FTTTTTTTO

F - direction and time modifier
                                T - time forward or backward to travel
                                O - origin / sequence initiation

The requirement for a gate on the other side is quite arguable incorrect as well since you would not be traveling from one point in space to another. In That respect you would simply come out the other side of the SAME gate just at a different time.

I can come up with at least 3 different variations which use the first 8 chevrons to indicate a point in time (rather than space) including one that while inefficient remains in strictly within the bounds of the base 8 math used by the Ancient.

since there is no canon dictating what the use of all 9 chevrons I don't think it's wise to discount any theory that can be explained as technicalogically plausible. Just think like an Ancient and all things are possible.
                                Lost Zinger of Atlantis: Excuse me! did you just say ass-chin?

Comment

Working...
                                X