This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aeromathlete
    It would be as odd for them to go to 9 as it is for us to go to 11. 10=8 seems like a good stopping point for the numbers.

Technically that's incorrect. Octal math (base 8) for us starts at zero (not one) and ends at seven. Therefore the 1st chevron would be numbered 0 (zero) and 9th chevron would be numbered 8 and is represented as 10 in octal.

It does however exhibit the addition of another digit in the sequence which is the point I think you were trying to convey. But as stated in my last message the type of math they use would not be a limiting factor. In fact it's a good indication that they could have included MORE than 9 chevrons but did not see the need to add them at the time.
    Lost Zinger of Atlantis: Excuse me! did you just say ass-chin?

Comment

Maybe the 9th chevron is the final test of the ancients . They will proably save the story line for the last possible season but heres my theory! When they figure it out, it opens a doorway to another plane of existence. An "ascended" plane of existence. Now I have no foundation for this theory but I'm kinda tired of the old bickering of "it's for time travel" "no it's for distance" any other outlandish theories for the 9th chevron???

Comment

If you want to know what it really does you should watch this show (the ad is a the bottom )

Stargate: Ninth Chevron
        Ad by Angel of Fire

Enjoy
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
          Maybe the 9th chevron is the final test of the ancients . They will proably save the story line for the last possible season but heres my theory! When they figure it out, it opens a doorway to another plane of existence. An "ascended" plane of existence. Now I have no foundation for this theory but I'm kinda tired of the old bickering of "it's for time travel" "no it's for distance" any other outlandish theories for the 9th chevron???
          once again i dont think that it is for ascending because the ancients built the gate network long before they new they could ascend

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
            If you want to know what it really does you should watch this show (the ad is a the bottom )

Stargate: Ninth Chevron
            Ad by Angel of Fire

Enjoy
            it says file transfer unavailable

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
              Sam: Wait a minute! This Chevrons does nothing!
              Ancient pops out of nowhere.
              Ancient: That's right! You have passed the final test and you win an Ancient fridge-freezer; keeps food fresh...forever!
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

heres my idea, dunno if its been mentioned before:

7 chevrons - somewhere in our galaxy
                8 chevrons - a galaxy within the local group e.g. Pegasus, Ida
                9 chevrons - galaxies in an external group

maybe this was the antiants origional intention but never got to make use of number nine.

Comment

I think it nmay be something to do with time-travel.
                  sigpic
                  Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                    it says file transfer unavailable
                    Try getting it from the CHevron Guy Appreciation thread... Maybe I got the link wrong . It's totally worth it

Comment

Please, no more time travel stuff. If they used the 9th chevron to time-travel, what if they travel to when the stargate never existed or created? how would they get back to the current time?

also the theory about dialing a planet with no stargate, wouldn't that be a one way trip then since it would create a wormhole where the stargate doesn't exist? can't go back, since there is NO stargate...

my only guess is that it's something important and since we never seen or heard about it, it must not have been used that much by the ancients. we barely use the 8th chevron via the our stargate to atlantis, and our gate to the asgard.

so, I just hope TPTB makes a story about the 9th chevron soon before the series end or else, I'll die a gruesome death without ever knowing what the 9th chevron does! CURSE YOU!!!

Comment

I think it might be travel to other dimensions/realities. They had this quantum mirror made of Naquadah, maybe they though it would be more economical to just incorporate it in the gate system. Besides, they were interested in studying creatures from other dimensions like we saw in "Sight Unseen" so they could use it to study the creatures in their natural environment...

Comment

My theory by my other nomme de plume is the best bet:

puddlejumpers and the ninth chevron

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                            I think it nmay be something to do with time-travel.
                            sorry but the ninth chevron has absolutly nothing to do with time travel (WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ATLANTIS SEASON ONE BEFORE I SLEEP HIGHLIGHT TO READ) why would that ancient guy need to build a time ship if the stargates ninth chevron was used for time travel , with all of the symbols on the stargate representing points in space then it would not be practical to use them as well for time then you would need several other chevrons, considering for the fact of argument that your theory is correct in that the ancients created the ninth chevron for time travel then you would only be able to go to 38 points in time (there are thirty eight symbols on the stargate) and considering that you would have to use the eight chevron as well (wich dosnt make sense because what if u wanted to time travel to a planet in your galaxy) but lets say for the fact of argument that some how when dialing the ninth chevron it overrides the function of the eigth chevron and makes it also for time travel than the most points in time you would be able to go to would be 76, to make your theory plausible then you would need 13 chevrons (regular 7 for inter-galaxy dialing, the eighth for outer-galaxy dialing, then a ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelveth and thirtheenth for year, days, hours, minutes, and seconds and considering that the ninth chevron would probably only activate the time travel function then you would need fourteen) and thousands more symbols on the stargate to specify the point in time you wish to go to. ALSO this theory is obviously NOT plausible because how would you be able to go back in time to a point when the gate network wasnt built therfore why would the ancients put this function on a newly built gate network, they wouldnt be able to use it for thousands of years unless of course that they wanted to go back to yesterday or something stupid like that. ALSO (WARNING MORE SPOILERS FROM ATLANTIS BEFORE I SLEEP HIGLIGHT TO READ) they way that the ancients reacted to the time ship that the guy was building obviously says that they know the effects of time travel and they know that gowing back in time and doing one very small thing could screw up the entire time space continum Thank you for reading now can we please close the time travel theory.

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
                              maybe the 9th chevronis used by the puddlejumpers in deep space? if they have hyperdrives - which I will be amazed if they don't (also teleporters) then maybe they deploy some kind of beacon struts like in babylon5 and then they use the ninth chevron to open a wormhole in deepspace?
                              i dont think that is what the ninth chevron would be for for starters the ninth chevron is on all of the gates inlcuding the gates in MW which were created first, the puddle jumpers look to have been created along with the Atlantis gates and technology, and since we have seen no other evidence of anything like puddle jumpers in the MW(they look to have been created for Pegasus, if they didnt have puddle jumpers than why would there be a ninth chevron on MW gates and dont you think that they would have discovered evidence of becaons wile looking at the pjs (im sure someone took them apart)

Comment

Originally posted by somebody, i cant remember were i saw this... it might no even be this thread sorry if its not
                                why did the ancients put stargates around pegasus so the wraith could use them
                                watch Stargate Atlantis: Episode 118 The Gift then you should get why they put stargates in pegasus
                                Last edited by _Owen_; 25 January 2005, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X