This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Okohme View Post
    I did not read all preceeding pages of the thread, so forgive me ignorance. So then we do not know for certain what the purpose of the 9th Chevron is? I thought it had been confirmed or at least highly implied that the 9th Chevron was involved in furthering the distance of the Stargate's capacity. I believe it was previously referred to in the thread as an Area Code.
    Anyway, thats what my guess would be as any futher understanding of the Stargate has not lead to much that would suggest the Stargate has any real purpose other than travel.
    Anyway.
    As far as I know, most stuff in this thread is speculation. Because we haven't seen the 9th chevron used in the show (ever), we can't know for sure what it's purpose is. As for other uses, the ancients did experiment with time travel (albeit rather unsuccessful) on P4X-639.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

That's true. I'm just saying that my vote is for the extra distance funtion.
      "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Yea, I think the extra distance calculation idea is the most popular and plausible idea right now.
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
          Yea, I think the extra distance calculation idea is the most popular and plausible idea right now.
          Yes it is and that is what Owen and I have always said, but it seems the PTB have decided that

Spoiler for Stargate Universe (if you haven't at least considered this then you aren't too bright)
          Spoiler:

The 9th Chevron goes to other universes

I am not talking about alternate realities.

Comment

Uhm, but how would that work if it goes to other universes and it's not an alternate reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryk Celestis View Post
              Uhm, but how would that work if it goes to other universes and it's not an alternate reality?
              Other universes are extremely far away and they are what they are called other universes. Alternate realities would occur in our won universe just in a different reality. The other universes would have their own set of infinite alternate realities.

The theory of the extra distances calculation would therefor be true but it would mean one heck of a new distance.

But the name for Stargate Universe could also just mean that the SGU Team can go all over our universe. Which would mean the most logical theory for the 9th Chevron is true. It just goes to other galactic groups.

The idea that it can be used for time travel is well to be nice I will call it farfetched. Making an out going wormhole an incoming wormhole (yeah that one is... well... I have no words to describe it)

Comment

i heard it leads to a new series

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
                  Other universes are extremely far away and they are what they are called other universes. Alternate realities would occur in our won universe just in a different reality. The other universes would have their own set of infinite alternate realities.

The theory of the extra distances calculation would therefor be true but it would mean one heck of a new distance.

But the name for Stargate Universe could also just mean that the SGU Team can go all over our universe. Which would mean the most logical theory for the 9th Chevron is true. It just goes to other galactic groups.

The idea that it can be used for time travel is well to be nice I will call it farfetched. Making an out going wormhole an incoming wormhole (yeah that one is... well... I have no words to describe it)
                  Ooh, I see... Now it makes sense.

I wonder how they'll make that work, though... I mean, one thing I always found a little weird about Stargate is how every planet they go to seems so Earth-like. With the knowledge that the Ancients were human-like and that they placed the Stargates across the galaxy, it makes sense, but if there are going to be SG teams travelling to whole different universes and all worlds they visit still have the perfect conditions for human life, well... That would just be too weird.

I agree with the time-travelling. The only real instance where SG-1 time-travelled through the Stargate was an accident, but I doubt that the Ancients would have built in a time-travel Chevron. Especially since they couldn't get that other time-travel device from 'Window of Opportunity' even to work.

Comment

Alternate realities, alternate timelines, etcetera are other universes, by definition. A universe is a space time continium. Two universes are distinct if they contain a different configuration of matter and energy in them. Alternate realities fit this definition. Therefore alternate realities are seperate universes. Alternate timelines of the same universe also end up with the same effect as an alternate reality. Things are different than the "canonical unvierse". So alternate timeline, alternate realities, and alternate universes must be equilivant.

Comment

Oh! I know! It'll open a gateway to Thirdspace!

Sorry I've been watching too much B5.
                      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

sorry i didnt really wanna read 50+ pages to see if this idea has been 'voiced' yet but here goes:

what if the ninth chevron has the stargate dial to a higher plane of existence?

i havent really worked out all the tweaks in this theory but it seems pretty cool.

also the whole "gates to another universe" theory seems a bit farfetched. theres only one universe....once you start talking about other universes you start talking about alternate realities....basically what Lord You said:

Originally posted by Lord You View Post
                        Alternate realities, alternate timelines, etcetera are other universes, by definition. A universe is a space time continium. Two universes are distinct if they contain a different configuration of matter and energy in them. Alternate realities fit this definition. Therefore alternate realities are seperate universes. Alternate timelines of the same universe also end up with the same effect as an alternate reality. Things are different than the "canonical unvierse". So alternate timeline, alternate realities, and alternate universes must be equilivant.

Comment

ok umm... time travel lame, universe lame because from what we know of physics there is only one universe not to be confused with alt reality, altreality lame reason upabove, ascension come on....

I think that because from what I have read about SGU
                          Spoiler:
                          the 9th chev plays a large roll in the show so http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/0...nth_chev.shtml
                          it cant be a one time thing which means it cant take like looooots of power (unless they find looots of power where ever they are) because they use it all the time. ok so I think it has to do with the show SGU I think it has to do with finding out what the 9th chev has to do with like they find some reference in the asguard database that it could lead to Clava Thessara Infinitas or "clavath" (key to infinite treasure(please excuse spelling )) and it leads them to another galaxy and that is what the show is about not using the 9th chev but finding out what it dose and how to use it and once they find it they have to get back home or fight their new badguy with the stuff they find
                          I'm also know as "Meredith" on Keepthegateopen.net and SG community.com
                          "No it only sound ridiculous till you hear yourself say I'm trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."

http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/eluvatar

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post

Ummmm. Noooooo.

The way it works is...

1 Universe. Many alternate realities breaking off from that universes timeline. And then 10 dimensions built onto that universe.

And for the record the Stargate explanation of dimensions is ... lets just say less then accurate to save 2 pages worth of explanation shall we.

But the short of it is that there is only 1 universe which all these other things build on. By deffinition the Universe is everything that exists.

Comment

It make sence.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                                Ummmm. Noooooo.

The way it works is...

1 Universe. Many alternate realities breaking off from that universes timeline.
                                mmk
                                Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                                And then 10 dimensions built onto that universe.

And for the record the Stargate explanation of dimensions is ... lets just say less then accurate to save 2 pages worth of explanation shall we.

But the short of it is that there is only 1 universe which all these other things build on. By deffinition the Universe is everything that exists.
                                What do you mean 10 dimensions built on to that universe. I was under the impression that there are 14 dimensions and they are all measurements.

Comment

Working...
                                X