Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
    What's wrong with manual dialing?
    it contradicts much established stargate science.
    sigpic

Comment

I think the sysblos just represent a piont in space. and as for the dailaling (whats the word um weirdness works for now) mabe it is becasue there are only a few props and they didn't expect anyone to look that closely at them so they don't change the poo. and the teams mgiht just be hiting butons to make it look like there dialing again becasue they didn't expect anyone to look that close.
      -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
      GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
      M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
      ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
      geekcode

Comment

I never understood why 6 points are necessary. Using the destination coordinate system they used in the movie, four coordinates is enough, beccause the form two straight lines. And two straight lines can only intersect at one point, no matter what. The third line is pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
          And two straight lines can only intersect at one point, no matter what.
          Which is all well and good, if you're living in a two-dimensional universe.
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Even in three dimensions that's the case.

Comment

Even in three dimensions that's the case.
              Mabe the acients just like to be very presice.
              -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
              GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
              M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
              ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
              geekcode

Comment

I agree with Teal'cs Theory on the DHD it makes the msot sense.
                But im wondering..If there are diffrent points of Orgin, then thered have to be a Difrrent point of Orgin for everyplanet or solar symbol(mostlikely every planet) So that would actually support the idea of the BRB being the point of Orgin, because I assume if you take a stargate and dhd from planet A and but it on planet Z and planet Z was already assigned a POO then the DHD would take that POO(if it is the BRB) if not then it would assign the POO wouldnt it? Im not sure if i make sense, but to clearfy the POO is the BRB and the POO would change from planet to planet wouldnt it?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

I'm taking my name off my theory just so I don't have to deal with people who will simply post the following over and over again:

The BRB isn't the POO because they press 7 symbols then the BRB, thus you're wrong!!!

I can't take the stress, I'll end up with an ulser or something

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                    But the gate does retain some charge... I remember one time they had to manually dial the gate and they used the left over energy.
                    Ys, but that was the earth gate.Which draws 10% more power. Like i said in my post.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                      I'm taking my name off my theory just so I don't have to deal with people who will simply post the following over and over again:

The BRB isn't the POO because they press 7 symbols then the BRB, thus you're wrong!!!

I can't take the stress, I'll end up with an ulser or something
                      Yes, this is because you actually haven't explained this away. Despite filmed example of people Pointing at a DHD symbol and saying this is the PoO. You have no refuted this. Thus it stands. Basically you are doing the txt equilivent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalaallaalalalla" I'm not listening.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                        Yes, this is because you actually haven't explained this away. Despite filmed example of people Pointing at a DHD symbol and saying this is the PoO. You have no refuted this. Thus it stands. Basically you are doing the txt equilivent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalaallaalalalla" I'm not listening.
                        Actually he kinda did explain it. said that in the seires some times they dial 6 sometiems they dial 7 and occansionally they dial 3,4,5, or 8 or whatever.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                          Actually he kinda did explain it. said that in the seires some times they dial 6 sometiems they dial 7 and occansionally they dial 3,4,5, or 8 or whatever.
                          Basically he's said there examples of the possibly dialing different different numbers of symbols and thats suddenly means what i said is right. "lalalalalallalalala I'm not listening."

I would like examples of said under and over dialing please so I can check them out. (specific parts of episodes would be appreciaited)

And alos he still hasn;t refuted the fatc Carter expected to find the PoO on the DHD in "Solidutes" which she would if the BRB was the PoO.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

As far as I understand it, the BRB (or BBB depending on the galaxy) or "activation button" is NOT the PoO. It would make sense if it is, but it's not. The DHD has 38 buttons and one BRB, however, it is missing one symbol button to make it complete. We have seen on several occasions, the seperate PoO symbol on the DHD. You can also move gates from planet to planet, I'm positive we have seen/heard examples of that. This means a PoO is not specific to a planet, but most likely the gate.

SPOILERS Avenger 2.0

In order to get it right, the DHD probably does a little update from the gate network when it is activated. Maybe not, that is just a theory of mine, and it has holes.

Comment

to be totally sure about what the PoO is and how most of the stuff works, we would need to see how the gate acts in a few situations (none of which i can think of at the moment)

1. Have we ever seen 2 gates in the same solar system? could u gate from one planet to another in the same system?

2. have we ever seen the symbols on a gate that has been moved before and after it was moved to a new planet? because u have to remember even the gou'ld have the technology to make what looks like stone symbols to move around (think the tablet things they have, that u sue a stone to turn to the next page, sorry i dont know the names off all the tech). maybe the symbols can change (even if it is just the PoO) depending on where they are.

the way i see it the BRB is like a "go now" button, you input the 7 symbol address and then the worm hole dosn't engage untill you hit the BRB, just in case u arn't ready yet or someone is in the way of the event horizen?

So the acients built this system for everyone to use, but the really advanced races got the full system specs, because the asgurd and some other races can dial a gate with out the DHD and even with out the whirlpool thing so there are alot of things we dont know about the gates. these theries seem to be best to describe the system from what i have seen so far in the series.

sorry for long post but here's a question for atlantis to answer as the show goes on but how do u dial any gate from the pudle jumper does it have every PoO on that small keyboard or do the symbols change?

Comment

I never understood why 6 points are necessary. Using the destination coordinate system they used in the movie, four coordinates is enough, beccause the form two straight lines. And two straight lines can only intersect at one point, no matter what. The third line is pointless.
                                I think the third line is necessary. I don't remember how it was explained in the movie, but using for points you would get one line, which would roughly be a particular heading from the PoO. Say there is another gate on a planet that is directly behind Abydos as seen from the Earth (no matter how far behind), then you wouldn't be able to travel to it because they would have the same address. The 5th and 6th coordinates define how far in that line you travel.

Comment

Working...
                                X