• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality = no hyperspace or hyperspace radiation
    Fiction = hyperspace and hyperspace radiation

WERE talking about REALITY

Comment

we're not
      Yeah, random question, I know. But I've seen stuff via various fanfics about moving the Earth through hyperspace to a different system. With the Earth being in hyperspace, there would be no sun to keep it warm.

Comment

What I think still stands, even in hyperspace the Earth would freeze, hyperspace radiation probably isn't much warmer than normal radiation, the only reason Wraith ships have to go in jumps is because their hyperdrives aren't as advanced and their hulls are organic. Earth's magnetic field would probably block most of the hyperspace radiation and if any got through the Atmosphere would block.

Comment

What I think still stands, even in hyperspace the Earth would freeze, hyperspace radiation probably isn't much warmer than normal radiation, the only reason Wraith ships have to go in jumps is because their hyperdrives aren't as advanced and their hulls are organic. Earth's magnetic field would probably block most of the hyperspace radiation and if any got through the Atmosphere would block.
          that wasn't my point. my point was that you do have to factor in that radiation, besides if the background radiation is a few degrees then you'll buy yourself several hours.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            we're not
            then clearly you have missread he states he HAS read fanfics were this has happened but imo the question is what would REALLY happen in the REAL world.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
              Because I happen to be in Earth Science which is the study of Earth and of the Universe around it. Geology, Oceanography, Meteorology, Astronomy, and Environmental Science. My Earth Science book, my Teacher, and this say so.
              hey i'm in earth science too
              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

then clearly you have missread he states he HAS read fanfics were this has happened but imo the question is what would REALLY happen in the REAL world.
                his question is how long earth can do without heat. yes we answered that. but when it's in hyperspace, you have to factor in hyperspace radiation.

but anyway i think this thread can be closed, question is answered, in fact answered in multiple ways

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                  hey i'm in earth science too
                  Green! !!

Comment

Facts:

1. there is ambient radiation in hyperspace. It's a subspace layer, and subspace is full of energy. Explosions occurring in hyperspace seem to leak phenomenal amounts of energy into real space (Small Victories, Redemption Pt II).
                    2. the mere fact that it's that luminous means that your planet is still going to be bathed in some kind of light, even if it's not so hot as sunlight. The plus side is that this light comes from all direction, so there's no night. The con is that it's going to seriously screw any life force that depends on the night and day cycle.
                    3. Wraith ships have trouble with this radiation.
                    4. one guy sitting in a small F-302 cockpit, and only protected by the thin metal hull of this cockpit and the glass of window, doesn't die of radiation.

Ergo, Wraith ships must force their FTL systems to draw much more radiation than what they're naturally exposed to. Think some kind of scooping ram or something, or maybe they have cells that tap energy from that layer of subspace, but can't cope with too much radiations; other spaceships rely on totally artificial systems so they're not so much bothered by radiation, well as long as you don't venture into the core unprotected I suppose!
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

actually that gave me an idea. if the subspace radiation is Beta and Alpha only, the F-302 would protect a human. however tough the penetration is low, the energy is quite high. so the damage to something the size of a hive would be high, while the minimal exposure to a metal hull would protect it perfectly.

Comment

If the hull and glass of a F-302 can withstand it, there's no reason the armoured hiveships couldn't. They're infinitely tougher than a nimble Tau'ri fighter, even down to the square meter vs. square meter.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

except that hives recieve the damage in the form of DNA damage.

Comment

depends on the state of the ozone layer....which isnt that great....(there is global warming people, i have f**king felt it for like 10 years)

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              except that hives recieve the damage in the form of DNA damage.
                              I don't even know if that idea has ever been confirmed, and it doesn't matter, because John Sheppard is a pile of DNA which was rather much exposed to hyperspace.
                              Even if Wraith hyperdrives are somehow related to organic systems, or if there are organic systems which simply can't cope with hyperspace rads and yet have nothing to do with hyperdrives and yet find themselves exposed to radiations because they may be close to whatever part that composes the whole hyperdrive structure (core, conduits, etc.), it doesn't matter. They shouldn't be affected because they're inside the ship. If a mere glass can protect fragile John, meters of hull that can withstand nuclear shots also will.
                              The only explanation that works is that the Wraith force something through their ships in some fashion, and by doing so, they expose some systems to radiations. Then jumping out of hyperspace enables the ships to heal themselves -a thing we know they can do. It's possible that a Wraith ship that comes out of a long hyperspace trip may not work as well as one ship that's not seen hyperspace since hours or days. With the need to divert energy to regeneration (to repair the degradation caused by radiation), they couldn't allow full hull regen, weapon powering and maximum maneuverability.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                                depends on the state of the ozone layer....which isnt that great....(there is global warming people, i have f**king felt it for like 10 years)
                                I feel it every year . . . starting around March.

Honestly. The Global Warming scare is absurd.
                                sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Working...
                                X