What about all the other galaxies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
    Presumably when the Wraith didn't obligingly die like they were supposed to do.

I mean, look at the US effort in Vietnam: we were there for nearly a decade, and were pretty much winning the whole time. In fact, the Tet Offensive (which was one of the reasons that we pulled out) was far more of a public relations victory than a military victory. Indeed, by military standards, it was a complete disaster and had effectively crippled the Viet Cong. In other words, the US had all but won when it pulled out of Vietnam after a decade or so. (BTW, if anyone has studied history, please feel free to correct me)

Contrast this with the Ancients, who fought for a century and had next to nothing left when they pulled out.
    the ancients could have been winning for decades until the wraith captured zpms, then the wraith started to gain a massive numerical advantage but it could very well have been a slow process and the ancients mightve continued to assume they were winning until it was too late. the wraith started winning when they captured the zpms, not when they stopped getting slaughtered - they only acquired them because the lanteans were sending ships too deep into wraith territory and got ambushed.
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
      OK, so the Milky Way and Pegasus Dwarf Irregular galaxies have both been explored on the show. But what about Andromeda and Triangulum.

Andromeda is half a million light years closer than Pegasus and it has approximately 1 trillion stars, versus the MW's 200-400 billion, and Pegasus' unknown but most probably significantly smaller number as it is a Dwarf Galaxy.

Triangulum in the meantime is approximately 3 million light years away, the same distance as Pegasus, and has 30-40 billion stars, raking as the third largest in the Local Cluster.

So why didn't the Ancients flee to any of these much larger galaxies after the Plague? Did Destiny seed these galaxies with stargates? And why do we know so little about them, when their the three biggest players in the Local Cluster?
      They didn't go to Andromeda because there is already a sci fi show of the same name and Triangulum is hard to say

Comment

"triangulum" doesn't sound as nice as something like "pegasus" anyway. "we're going into the triangulum galaxy. these aliens pose a threat to all humans in triangulum." it sounds more like a geometrical concept than a populated galaxy
        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
          the ancients could have been winning for decades until the wraith captured zpms, then the wraith started to gain a massive numerical advantage but it could very well have been a slow process and the ancients mightve continued to assume they were winning until it was too late.
          All of which completely misses the point: the very fact that the Ancients didn't win within a few years would have been a serious blow to the Ancients' morale. As real life example, take a look at the US intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq. We were there five years with no real threat to our forces, and yet people became very, very tired of the war and pretty much all support for it began to wane.

The Ancients, however, maintained their war against the Wraith for over ten times as long, under similar or worse conditions. Even if they did not expect to lose the war, they were almost certainly getting tired of not winning.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            All of which completely misses the point: the very fact that the Ancients didn't win within a few years would have been a serious blow to the Ancients' morale. As real life example, take a look at the US intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq. We were there five years with no real threat to our forces, and yet people became very, very tired of the war and pretty much all support for it began to wane.

The Ancients, however, maintained their war against the Wraith for over ten times as long, under similar or worse conditions. Even if they did not expect to lose the war, they were almost certainly getting tired of not winning.
            nonono -this- misses the point. if you were trying to focus on the morale aspect, you should have specified that more clearly in your post.

even when the ancients were winning all the battles, the wraith could have been recuperating and building new forces without the lanteans knowing about it. then, they ambushed lantean ships to acquire the zpms. the lanteans were confident enough to attack so recklessly because they had been winning for a while. by your reasoning, the lanteans would have already pulled out instead of pushing deeper into enemy territory because they were "tired" of the war.

one of the reasons americans are/were tired of the iraq or vietnam is because they felt it is unnecessary interventionism. the lanteans and/or their seeded humans were directly attacked by aliens, i'm sure that could be seen as a better reason to fight.
            however the lore seems to suggest that they didn't take the wraith seriously enough and treated them like a nuisance than a military threat. a better analogy of the war in its lanteans-winning stage would be a modern day locust infestation. as it drags on and the populace gets tired, you cannot just sign a treaty with the "enemy" and end it, you try harder to stop it.
            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Stargate Triangulum I love it

Comment

Working...
              X