X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrons have no links but they link them whit a magnetic field
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

How would the magnetic field hold the electrons in place ? First of all how do you get the electrons in such a configuration ?
      Second, assuming the electrons are arranged in that configuration the only thing keeping the in place would be the electrostatic repulsion between them, magnetic fields affect moving charged particles according to the Lorentz force: F = q*(v x B), where q is the particle charge, v is it's velocity vector and B is the magnetic field. Since all the particles are stationary (more or less, the uncertainty principle prohibits them from being completely stationary, they would wobble in place) v=0 therefore F=0. However let's assume the role of the magnetic field would be to restore the configuration if something happened to it. Since one of those electrons can be moved by an outward force in just about any direction the velocity vector v can be oriented in just about any direction, and since v x B is a vector product the Lorentz force will be oriented perpendicular to the plane formed by the vectors v and B, which is not good since it should be oriented in the opossite direction of v to move the electron back in place.
      On top of that the electric field of electromagnetic waves will cause the electrons to oscillate (like the electrons in the ionosphere when they are hit by radio waves for example), making it impossible for them to maintain a stable configuration.

Comment

well did you even think that the writers where thinking about science when making shields , i made this theory to fold along the storyline i know it has gaps but it is the only theory that explains everything and if FTL and wormholes are possible why electrons bonding is not possible
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

Comment

There are a few problems with your theory.

The idea you start with is not bad. Supposing that the shield is comprised of charged particles would allow it to resist beam and plasma weapons. That's pretty nifty as a start. But there are major problems with shield being composed of like charges. They repel, you see.

1) The amount of energy in the electric field you'd get from such a shield is so high that it exceeds even the most generous estimates for a ZPM. Never mind all the Goa'uld energy sources.

2) You cannot maintain such a cloud with magnetic fields. It's a bit difficult to explain, but basically, if you hope for magnetic fields to counter electric ones, you have to have opposite charges.

So what do you do then? As I said, the basic idea is not bad, but you need to come up with something that is charge-neutral. The most basic design that comes to mind is a hexagonal pattern of alternating electrons and positrons ("positive electrons"). Such a grid can, indeed, be at least partially stabilized with magnetic field. Furthermore, magnetic fields can be used to make it transparent in certain frequencies (beam transport, etc) or even part for friendly ships to come through.

e+**********e+***********e+

******e-***********e-******

******e+***********e+******

e-***********e-***********e-

e+***********e-***********e+

******e-***********e-******

As far as defensive capabilities of such grid go, it would be very efficient against any form of energy beam weapon or plasma weapon (e.g. Ion Canons). It would also generate a powerful gamma burst in 512MeV whenever something passes through it. This would allow it to detonate missiles without letting them through. One thing such a shield would be extremely vulnerable to is rail guns. As you yourself mentioned, electron/positron cloud simply doesn't have the mass to stop a metal slug traveling at high speeds. But maybe your idea of placing some heavy positively charged particles might work. You'd still need the shield to be active, and respond to approaching foreign objects, but we already know that programming makes a big difference in how well the shield can work, so that might actually make sense.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

i started used electrons because is simple to generate i could use Al (aluminum )for 3 links and C2 (carbon molecule) for 6 links but think about what storage space would consume .
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

Comment

Electron-positron pairs are easy to generate. Energy overhead would be huge, though. As for the storage space for matter if you want to use heavynuclei in the grid, it can be minimized if you make the shields more sparse than chemical bonds alone would allow. It would still be more of a cloud than something solid, yet have some mass to work with. So if you are to accelerate the section of the shield outwards, towards approaching slug, it would be enough to slow it down and perhaps evaporate it all together.

Looks familiar?

Comment

i think you are right i will update this theory when my theory about hyper-space and FTL would be available
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

Comment

As a generalization, why don't we call this a plasma matrix shield hypothesis. Because in general, if this works with what you suggest, it should work with any kind of plasma. Be it positronium plasma or uranium plasma. What changes is the mass of positively charged particles in the matrix. In all cases, matrix is maintained with magnetic field. Such generalization would allow us to address all possible shields of this type in one go, rather than try to figure out which race uses what kind of particles in their shields.

Looks familiar?

Comment

plasma mostly is very affected by magnetic fields i mean you can make a hole in a plasma shield by using a powerful electromagnet , i had a lot of time to thing about the shields theory
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Mods List

Comment

Working...
                    X