Is "Burying" the gate really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas
    I think it might actually even depend on the density of the stuff blocking the gate as well. Remember, the gate on one world was knocked over, facing down. Death Knell, I believe. The kawoosh made a hole in the mud, and O'Neill and Teal'c had room to fall in.
    It was only knocked over not completely blocked.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

if there is room, the kawoosh forms

Comment

This might matter:

The SGC's Stargate has a metal walkway through it. It doesn't have a gap for the Event Horizon and it is never destroyed. Somehow, the "puddle" forms through the ramp and does not harm it. So Stargates can do that.

Plus, there's the platforms the Gates are usually embedded in off world. No gap for the Event Horizon there. Same with the floor in Atlantis.

Maybe you have to cover more than a third of the area of the Gate?
        Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
          This might matter:

The SGC's Stargate has a metal walkway through it. It doesn't have a gap for the Event Horizon and it is never destroyed. Somehow, the "puddle" forms through the ramp and does not harm it. So Stargates can do that.

Plus, there's the platforms the Gates are usually embedded in off world. No gap for the Event Horizon there. Same with the floor in Atlantis.

The kawoosh forms only in the center of the Stargate. The access ramp in the SGC is not touched by the unstable vortex and thus is not disintegrated, neither do the ramps on other worlds.
          sigpic
          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I know that, but the floor of the ramp is a solid surface that the event horizon cuts through without impedance or damage. There is no gap.
            Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

Comment

the entire EH forming ring has to be covered. not the location of the EH itself.

like taking a stargate, and putting cement in the inner ring, against the stargate. so you can walk through, but no EH forms

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
                This might matter:

Actually I've heard that there is a gap for the EH, it's just very small.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Actually, iy's large enough to be visual, you just have to look.
                  Originally posted by Craig Charles
                  "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

The question is, if a metal pipe is sticking through the center of the gate, will the event horizon form and the kawoosh vaporize the pipe on the outgoing side...or will the presence of the pipe not allow a connection to happen?

My bet is that anything obstructing the inner passage will cause the gate not to activate.(thicker than the air, anyway)

Now, about the ground covering it a few inches...production flaw. What if one gate is lower in the ground than another. Do you trip on the 'rim' coming out, or drop down a few inches when you exit?

I don't think that one was ever thought all the way through.

Then again, maybe that's the reason puddle jumpers have a flat underside.
                    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

I'd have to look, but maybe the Kawoosh extends down far enough to carve out a uniform "floor" for any gate that may have sunk a little?

Comment

You'd think that the Ancients would be advanced enough to invent an "off" switch for gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                          You'd think that the Ancients would be advanced enough to invent an "off" switch for gates.
                          Well, the Ancients wouldn't have needed one, since there were only friendlies using the Gates when they were around.

But I do agree that there should be an off switch. They seem to have them in all their other device (not counting the face huggers).

Comment

well we have seen that the gate has turned on under water and that doesnt count as burying the gate. so maybe it needs to be denser because the specific gravity of water is one because 1/1=1. so soil has a higher specific gravity thus burying the gate.

Comment

It only seems necessary to bury the gate if their is no other way to prevent a event horizon form forming.

Comment

Working...
                              X