The Stargate Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I see it, there are 2 main ways of dialing

1- to know where you want to BE : make up a dialing system for all the galaxy (and even the universe)

- Pros : You have the complete list of coordinates (cough ~ SGC ~ cough) and you can get wherever you want to go

- Cons : without the list you have to randomly push buttons until it works. And thanks to stellar drift, the list have to be regularly updated or thrashed.

2- to know where you want to GO : make up a dialing system only for the planet where you are

- Pros : you can go wherever you want as long as you have a faint idea of where it is (cough ~ Atlantis & Destiny ~ cough)

- Cons : you need to know the location of your destination in relation to your current location. You still have to understand the way steller drift works.

It seems like the Ancients use both systems for their network :
    - BE System for intra-galactic travel
    - GO System for inter-galactic travel

Since the purpose of this thread is to build OUR own network, I would have the third and fourth system :

3- Matriochka system : I want to go Milky Way galaxy (Symbol 1)/ Orion Arm (Symbol 2)/Local Bubble (Symbol 3)/Star system Sol (Symbol 4)/Now look for a stargate!

- Pros : easy to remember (4 is a magic number for memory) and as long as you want to explore a zone you just have to repeat the first numbers and choose form any of the 39 left.
    DHD updating will be managed locally at the smallest group possible then shared galactically

Edit : with enough groups you can have have multiple Earth-made stargates in the solar system and even any planet. But the DHD will be significantly bigger.

- Cons : I am not sure that those groups are relevant. Any astrophysicist here ?

4- "I don't know where I am, I kinda approximately know where I want to go but hey! I know its name" or all-around portable DHD system : Whatever the system adopted, I just want to have a device that know at any moment where are the gates I am allowed to go to and that can dialed me there

Edit : I like the idea of a preview on the big red button. Maybe that a good way to check before pushing on it and ending at the wrong place and wrong time.
    Last edited by lord groovy; 20 October 2009, 04:47 AM.
    La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
    L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

For dialing I had actually had the thought of a vertical holographic projection in front of the gate of a top down perspective galactic map, as each gate in the network would essentially act under a sub-space peer-to-peer network, each gate would ping each other gate to know the relative distances from eachother in any given direction.

Meaning they could work autonomously or in groups, and new gates added would be picked up by any surrounding gates so that with the next correlative merge, every gate is updated with the location of the new gate and the name is automatically formulated into its language form for display on the DHD / Gate.

The user would touch the icon for the planet (point of origin) which may have a name associated with it.

Meaning that without the automatic or DHD component that provides the holographic instance (obviously buttons would also be present as well) someone would still be able to (as long as they know the name) dial the stargate manually.

The way I thought of manual dialing as well would be simply that when the gate has enough power that the inner track would be able to spin freely without friction (electro magnetic repulsion and attraction to suspend the inner track in the air 1 micrometer on inner/outer tracks). The actual symbols on the inside track (image the destiny stargate pads with the symbols on them) you would simply spin it and touch the symbols to activate them.

For dialing other galaxies, I think the simple solution is to have one gate designated as a target gate from each galaxy, and using an 8th chevron designate a direction in a radius to ping in.

This way say for example a top down view of several galaxies, ours was the center, and the othala galaxy was on a north east position in relation, then we'd dial an 8th chevron that corresponds to that astral direction, a ping would be sent from that gate to the other galaxy and the primary gate of that galaxy would respond by sending one back, then if that happens the connection is made (providing enough power is there).

You would do this by dialing in your own planets co-ordinates (those would be sent to the recieving gate in the other galaxy so it can extrapolate position to target its end of the wormhole to intersect with the sending gates, security thing so that if an interuption happens when a traveller is more than halfway through, the recieving gate can continue the connection), once you've dialed in your own planets co-ordinates you would add your point of origin (which adds the sending gates distance calculation extrapolated from the ping distance to the recieving gate)
      and then the final 8th chevron, which points in the direction of the galaxy your dialing.

Now that all seems out of order, if you were thinking logically you'd do that in sort a backwards way

Dial the 8th chevron first to point the direction of the ping sent to the recieving gate which would extrapolate the distance required and ping back to let the sending gate know there is a gate capable of recieving.

Then dial the 6 symbols required to pinpoint to the recieving gate where the sending gate is to form a lock wormhole wise.

Then the point of origin to allow the sending gate to meet the recieving gate halfway in terms of wormhole power.

Obviously that method is different than intragalactic dialing as with that you simply need the point of origin and 6 symbols to extrapolate a lock.

This is the most logical way as it appears to me anyways, for establishing a network of gates that can be dialed by people with a basic understanding (not even that if the DHD is intact as it has an interactive holographic mode). And also a logical way that an 8th chevron would be used to target even an unknown gate without a known address.

It also means other galaxies are fairly secure because no-one would think having knowing the current dialing system to think to dial a planets own co-ordinates and point of origin, it'd be like dialing yourself on a phone ... but with an 8th chevron it gives you a way to point the gate in particular directions outside the galaxy, providing you have enough power.

Regular gates would not normally have a power source capable of dialing out of a galaxy, but a primary gate would.

Thats my take on dialing, what do you guys think?

Comment

You also mentioned a preview button, I just thought of each Stargate being equipped with a sensor of a limited range around the gate, which can be tapped into by another Stargate via sub-space communication.

This way once you have selected a gate in my above dialing method you could then holographically, or on the dhd itself (advanced touchscreen panel) see basic information like atmospheric readouts and if anyone was near the gate itself (the kawoosh might hurt some folks if they become interested in the gate an accidently get nerfed by it) if that was the case then the sending gate wouldn't activate as a security precaution.

Not that I guess that protocol couldn't be overridden if you had a chance to get rid of some enemies or something hehe, or alternatively just have the kawoosh circumvented as we won't need to clear the buffer in that method, the main control crystal seems to be a form of electronically erasable and programmable rom, like a gate BIOS so to speak, so if a person is stored in the buffer by that control crystal, then surely it can command the buffer to erase itself again when it detects a pattern has safely emerged.

And as previously mentioned, just have the buffer empty on the next open outgoing or incoming connection, anytime an event horizon is established basically.

What always bugged me is using the GDOs, sure in the canon stargate premise this is required really to secure a gate against people and other vehicles forms of energy etc.

I think there should be a secure mode for gates where you can pull up a list of stored patterns (the gate would hold all patterns until the dhd at the recieving end can be looked at by an operator and can decide on whether those particular patterns should be allowed to integrate).

This is a secure method because nothing can come through unless you let it, and you can selectively bias who you let through based on criteria, raw energy forms, like staff weapons, etc can be disallowed or screened out, stopping them from materialising. I would blanket that particular criteria as just simply defining a maximum threshold of velocity and composition.

Once you stumble upon this you might be able to do things like copy a pattern into the buffer to allow deployment of resources, like say for example a MALP, just pop the pattern into the buffer (you'd obviously need it to be in a format the gate understands and have enough storage space to keep it in storage in the first place) and then just dial an address, the event horizon would deposit the MALP with every connection.

These functions would only be possible with a primary gate, the ones that are capable of diailing other galaxies.

If you had control over this you could pretty much use it to hide people, you'd open a wormhole, disengage transmit protocol, so that each person is distintigrated and stored in the buffer, then effectively bury the gate by placing a barrier over it. When you want your people back just unbury it and dial an address, your people are pulled out of the stargate.

Just some random musings on that really...

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
          I like your theory.

The only problem I see is with the central location that needs to be a place heavily fortified. Since your whole network depends on it, whoever controls it, controls the network. And destroying it means the end of the gate network and potentially the end of human space civilization. A good prelude to an invasion...

Atlantis used to exist on earth before it moved to a new galaxy and even then... under assault from the wraith it never fell... Would make a nice impregnable home location.

Alternatively, like many others have stated. A de-centralized gate peer to peer network would work pretty well too.

Comment

The way I would solve it is with my own solution as detailed in the previous 2 postings I did.

Gates would have their own dialing protocol, and effectively peer to peer themselves via correlative updates. For the more secure gate all that would be needed is for the DHD to be an external customised one with some extra power.

That DHD would take prescedence over the regular gates standard one when within dialing range, meaning you could essentially have a portable primary gate if placed on a ship.

Comment

Would a dialling system based on the based on a binary code the SGC computer uses for extrapolation be feasible? Can a SGC designation like P3X 888 be translated to give a location of a target gate?

To dial you would have to have letters and the numbers 1-9 on the gate and DHD. The only downside I can think of is you have to have a list of all known addresses like the Abydos cartouche and Ancient repository/Atlantis database.
              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
              "That he is concealing something."
              "Like what?"
              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

For the problems you mentioned I would probably vote against that lol, the diagram esque view on the DHD dashboard would be simpler, its basically point and touch, you would see the name of the planet and the living conditions would be displayed in a statistical format, i.e; oxygen, co2, temperatures, gravity etc (this would be realtime as per the subspace link between gates and their microsensors).

This way if you like what you see you can hit the engage button and off you go, open wormhole. If there are dangerous elements there, like if the gate is flooded, or the air isnt breathable anymore, you would be notified before going through.

You wouldn't be notified of any persons or structures or anything in that sense, just the biometrics, if the destination still supports life.

Comment

Originally posted by Azureus View Post
                  For the problems you mentioned I would probably vote against that lol, the diagram esque view on the DHD dashboard would be simpler, its basically point and touch, you would see the name of the planet and the living conditions would be displayed in a statistical format, i.e; oxygen, co2, temperatures, gravity etc (this would be realtime as per the subspace link between gates and their microsensors).

This way if you like what you see you can hit the engage button and off you go, open wormhole. If there are dangerous elements there, like if the gate is flooded, or the air isnt breathable anymore, you would be notified before going through.

You wouldn't be notified of any persons or structures or anything in that sense, just the biometrics, if the destination still supports life.
                  nice ideas you had just there though I didn't quite fully understood the one about intergalactic and 8th chevron after the point of origin and all that :

- to me the PoO has always been like a full stop at the end of a sentence. why just not keep it like that? (or even remove it. I fear the day we have to face the mystery of the 10th chevron)

- couldn't we interface the DHD with the GDO to be able to preview the destination planet and the starmap only on Earth GDO ? To me we are still making OUR stargate network.
                  anyone else should just figure it out. It would be a better test than the one given by the Asgards to those viking humans...

Any other good ideas?
                  La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                  L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Primary gates possess the inbuilt GDO, the filter that can be used to block out certain "patterns" like people etc, you could rig a forwarding macro to knock them back out at the planet they came from.

This could be used by using a genetic marker to pinpoint who is allowed in and who isn't.

The way I have the dialing rigged is a simpler way, the 8th chevron just points the targetting in different radial directions, i.e one chevron might point it northeast, one might point it south, to look for a primary gate in another galaxy. The only difference is you punch in the planets co-ordinates you are on and the planets own point of origin.

Each gate would have a small sensor to allow checking of stats on the other planet before a connection is made. Like if the atmosphere is no longer breathable the address would be locked out if no protective gear was sensed by the gate.

These features are more for security gates, rather than your standard gates in the network, all thats required to make a gate secure is the additional programming, so you'd walk up with a tablet with a specific passcode on it and the extra features would be available.

In the case of stargate show, those features would become available to someone operating the DHD with the ancient gene.

Normally you'd just see if the planet has life bearing stats, make the connection and go.

This is on the basis of there just being a secure gate on our planet, and all the other gates are for anyone/anything to use.

But as I mentioned, those features are available to someone with the correct gene on any gate.

I plan on writing this whole thing up at some point, just not yet ha.

I'll be using my ideas in a stargate reboot fiction where everything will be redone from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                    X