Why is it everyone uses Staff Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Atom-thin blade? Wouldn't it break or go blunt from simply swinging through the air?

Unless your enemies are tagged with chips which such a bullet can lock on to, that's not a very smart concept. Also, for a man-portable weapon to automatically lock onto targets it has to be not hand-held but mounted onto something so it could rotate freely, A bit like the shoulder cannons of the Predators.

Gun blades are an old idea. Back in the age of flintlock firearms, there were attempts to build a pistol/dagger and pistol/axe combinations. There were invariably awkward and impractical, because you need a different kind of grip for shooting than you do for stabbing or axe hacking. Aiming gets complicated too, and extra weight on the muzzle makes it harder to keep the target in your sights.

P.S. And quit romanticizing katana swords, people. A typical World war I cavalry sabre can do all the same tricks in the real world. Not to mention that a sword designed for actual combat should not be very sharp, otherwise if you hit wood or fail to hack through bone with the first strike, the blade will get stuck.
    no it wouldnt because the one that ba'al used didint seem to go all that dull because it still cut him in half pretty easily but even if it did get slightly dull it would still cut like a beast. i mean if you accidentally drop it it might cut right through the floor.

and the target wouldnt need to have a chip in him, they would just have to stay in range of the advanced sensor device thats mounted onto the gun and the range would be like a couple miles and it would basically lock onto lifesigns and fire a projectile that is roughly the size of the average bullet and it has a micro engine system in it that flys it to its target and then activates the very small explosive charge after plunging into the target and kills him. the gun dosent even need to be pointing at the target so it wouldnt need to be mounted on anything and it wouldnt have any sort of recol.

it wouldnt really be a gun in the traditional sense since it dosent fire bullets but rather "launches" smart bullets that can use the sensor data from the sight/sensor device to fly to the target and explode.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

shy not jsut use current technology bullets kill people... we can use trinium and naquada on better stuff like a big honnkin space ship
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _Famrir_ View Post
        shy not jsut use current technology bullets kill people... we can use trinium and naquada on better stuff like a big honnkin space ship
        Isn't that what 304s are made of? I know Asgards ships are the O'neil was made of a new alloy of Naquadah, Trinium, and Carbon.

I'm using the Trinium Katana for my Fic along with a lot of other stuff. I thought of for foot soldiers.
        Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

The staff weapons were a bad idea in the show, it was understandable that they brought it over for familiarity purposes, but seriously... eight seasons and the new enemy as well? Lame. Period.
          Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
            The staff weapons were a bad idea in the show, it was understandable that they brought it over for familiarity purposes, but seriously... eight seasons and the new enemy as well? Lame. Period.
            Agreed its like the Ori thing was just a repeat of season 1 They even called their Generals "The First man" I read it in Omnipedia but never heard it in the show.
            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Well, a staff weapon isn't really a bad idea. Consider there are plenty of times where a knife or a melee weapon is better than a gun. It just that you need something like a targeting helmet to hit anything more than 50 yards in front of you. Plasma aimed with a targeting reticle would be pretty epic.

Or you could just use Bolters from warhammer, .75 caliber to 1.00 caliber, basically mini rockets to kill an armored enemy would be awesome too
              sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
                Well, a staff weapon isn't really a bad idea. Consider there are plenty of times where a knife or a melee weapon is better than a gun. It just that you need something like a targeting helmet to hit anything more than 50 yards in front of you. Plasma aimed with a targeting reticle would be pretty epic.

Or you could just use Bolters from warhammer, .75 caliber to 1.00 caliber, basically mini rockets to kill an armored enemy would be awesome too
                I fought NPCs using those in GMOD those bolter's are sick they can kill tanks in seconds.

i quite like the explosive rounds they use in BSM imagine that with K Naq rounds

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by PacoJr67 View Post
                  do you mean this one?
                  Spoiler:

that project was cancelled some time around 2002...

there was research into a steerable bullet for the m82, but I'm not sure how that's going
                  I think he was actually talking about the xm 25 which began field testing over the summer, it doesn't really have steerable bullets it shoots smart grenades that airburst when they reach their target

anyone who's seen indiana jones knows what happens when you bring a sword to a gunfight and the katana didn't help the japanese much in WW2

I've noticed that the only people who use staff weapons are primitives given advanced technology so maybe the spear design just makes sense to them, I really want to know why they put missiles on earth ships, seriously when have those ever worked against an enemy ship

Comment

Working...
                  X