any thoughts to how the wraith took out the Lantean satellites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    which is what i said. anti-dart defences do not cost quadrillions of watts. the impact on charge time is neglectible.

i doubt it was more than a capacitor bank, sensor array and big friggin gun.
    My response was directed at guppy338, to me it looks like it might have multiple guns on it otherwise the shape is well pointless...

It obviously has engines, a powersource etc...
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Maybe it did have a shield but had to drop it to fire out. The wraith lost 3-5 hives learning this so used it against the rest.

Comment

The fact that the satellite only suffered minor damage suggests small weapons fire...which would mean darts. I agree with the massive wave of darts, such a large weapon can only fire a few shots on one full buffer, so say take out ten darts or ten hive ships...I've send a hundred darts, keep the hive ships out of range...you lose ten tiny ships and the other 90 take out the satellite.

One other point, if the satellite works as they said, no shields, low power source...that suggests mass production. So the Ancient satellite shield probably had hundreds if not thousands of the suckers surrounding the planet. Eventually the Wraith whittled them down and got to Atlantis because the Lanteans couldn't replace them in battle, or couldn't replace them fast enough.
        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

They could mash them with darts but I think their shielded or even with hives wastes too much resounces it seems logical for Wraith tactics.

Strategically, We could use a meteor shower as decoys while the satellites are charging perform strategic hits.
          Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by the-alguroan View Post
            any thoughts to how the wraith took them out, i believe they had hives at far range send in thousands of darts to hit them one at a time
            If the satellites didn't have shields then I think you're probably right (although maybe not thousands if all the satellites had was the one weapon), but if the satellites did have shields even with something on a 304s level I think it'd take a very long time to take them out purely with Darts.
            TBH I don't think the Wraith would mind wasting a couple of Hives and Cruisers, to punch some holes in the Ancient's defense line.
            Hell I don't see why they wouldn't just grow empty shells of ships, to be used as a kind of shield for their fleets, you know pilot with a single Wraith Drone Soldier, maybe shooting just before the barely manned ship gets pulverized.
            Seems like the Wraith could build just a mass of Armor and Weapons out of their tech to be used to take a beating with the right kind of power supply.

We know the Wraith could make ships at a phenomenal rate, infect a few hundred Humans or Drones with the Pathogen, place them on a few dozen random planets then come back when they're ready, maybe even do it all on one random abandoned planet with the stolen ZPMs, then they'd have their fleet in a very short amount of time.

Darts I guess would be a fairly time intensive thing, but the Wraith may have lost less numbers that way so it could have been the more economical (if the Wraith have a concept of economics beyond their food supply)) solution.

Once the Wraith had taken out a few Satellites then I guess it'd be easy to make it Atlantis, but they'd have to face a swarm of Drones till the Ancients ran out.

Comment

take a hive, and build a mass driver along it's lenght. 11km can fire a particle beam which should be around .9c to .99c. the beam of energy from the sattelite at that point will not work against it. the particles are not easily stopped, an Aurora would need to sacrifice shield power.

i think it's a case of overwhelming. drop hundreds of hives and cruisers and darts out in the solar system and start firing

Comment

If the Ancients were clever they would have built a ship based version of that weapon give it a ZPM and it can one shot Hives per second.

I wish tptb had thought about the Wraith/Ancient war a tiny bit.

Killman is right only overwhelming numbers would have worked based on what we've seen the Wraith use. Possible other scenarios are their use of asteroids although alone these would be insufficient against the satellites.
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

not if in masses.

but yes, i think they simply focused on one and wore them out.

Comment

take a hive, and build a mass driver along it's lenght. 11km can fire a particle beam which should be around .9c to .99c.
                    An interesting plan, but it would work better with a dart full of concrete.

Comment

why so narrow minded?

take a hive with a superparticle beam AND concreted darts!

and add some of those hyperdrive scouts and cruisers dropping out close and opening fire /ramming at severe fractions of c

Comment

why so narrow minded?

take a hive with a superparticle beam AND concreted darts!

and add some of those hyperdrive scouts and cruisers dropping out close and opening fire /ramming at severe fractions of c
                        I wonder what kind of sick velocities you could actually get out of an 11km long mass driver with a typical stargateland power source behind it.

You'd get an utterly massive increase in combat ranges to, even factoring in the whole "need to point the whole ship at it" part. Firing slugs at "fortified" ground targets like say, Atlantis, would be especially devastating to, particularly if you started to incorporate those ultra dense Wraith armour materials into the projectiles.

Comment

I always thought it would make sense if the Ancients used the Big Plasma Gun from Trinity along with the Satellites to protect Atlantis and Lantea period. The only flaw is that the Gun was introduced in season 2 and the Satellites came from season 1 so the writers likely didn't get that insperation.

Comment

Working...
                          X