No announcement yet.

Ancient power problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think that Arcturus was needed because their ZPM's could not be made fast enough. they never needed mass production because once the ZPM's are depleted, you've had all the time in the world to make more

Comment

Very true, anyone could be right about why the Ancients wanted to make Arcturus.
      The lack of mass production facilities for ZPMs and Drones being found around the galaxy could indicate that they just didn't have that many to begin with and made that technology or in particular ZPMs out of components they had on their bases, but it took a little while to do and when they came up against the Wraith they just couldn't make them fast enough.
      Could easily be the case that they just needed an energy source that would last longer than ZPMs to turn the tide of the war.
      Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 16 January 2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Well with practically unlimited power who knows what godlike machine the Ancients could power and use to end the Wraith. The Ancients were at this point in the war facing insumountable Wraith numbers obviously their ZPMs weren't cutting it or their ability to produce more had been damaged by the Wraith. There a multitude of reasons for building Arcturus it doesn't necessarily reflect on the power of ZPMs or lack there of.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I'll just throw something out here. After the Ancients left, wouldn't the Wraith still be bombarding the city from orbit for a while? They would eventually stop, after they realize that nothing's happening, but that could potentially deplete the shields further, and throw off the energy math that you people have made.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Just to know : are we sure that the ZPM technology was really mass produced ? For all we know they could have been handmade for a specific use hence :
            • the difference in power.
            • the crystalline look (a cylinder would have been easier to make)
            • the rarity
            • the building of Arcturus in the middle of one of their most important planet

On the other hand, the current lack of mass production facilities for ZPMs and Drones in Pegasus and MW galaxy could also be due to the Ancients blowing up everything they could before leaving.
            La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
            L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
              Well with practically unlimited power who knows what godlike machine the Ancients could power and use to end the Wraith. The Ancients were at this point in the war facing insumountable Wraith numbers obviously their ZPMs weren't cutting it or their ability to produce more had been damaged by the Wraith. There a multitude of reasons for building Arcturus it doesn't necessarily reflect on the power of ZPMs or lack there of.
              Or they could just have reached the point of not particularly caring.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                I'll just throw something out here. After the Ancients left, wouldn't the Wraith still be bombarding the city from orbit for a while? They would eventually stop, after they realize that nothing's happening, but that could potentially deplete the shields further, and throw off the energy math that you people have made.
                The city was under the water, maybe the Wraith's weapons (as silly as it sounds) were just stopped by the water, at least that's the way I always saw it on the show, hence why the Wraith couldn't deplete the ZPMs in the years after the Ancients left.
                You could be right though, although I think any damage the Wraith did was negligible and barely effected the shields.

The Wraith have some pretty good sensors, maybe they just stopped pummeling Atlantis once it was sunk.

I guess it's another one of those unknown things again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                  The city was under the water, maybe the Wraith's weapons (as silly as it sounds) were just stopped by the water, at least that's the way I always saw it on the show, hence why the Wraith couldn't deplete the ZPMs in the years after the Ancients left.
                  You could be right though, although I think any damage the Wraith did was negligible and barely effected the shields.

The Wraith have some pretty good sensors, maybe they just stopped pummeling Atlantis once it was sunk.

I guess it's another one of those unknown things again.
                  Well, the ZPM from Egypt would have ran out with only 12 hive ships bombarding from orbit. It would have sped the process of the cycling of ZPMs up.

Unknown indeed.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

look the ancients probably never massproduced ZPM's. atlantis running on 3 last for potentially millions of years. if 1 ZPM takes 100 years to make, they can still make 10 000 in the time those 3 zpm's deplete. if we assume the same people make those ZPMs over and over.

it's obvious that a ZPM isn't made overnight. because of the wraith, the ancients could not keep up. the only way was to make an impenetrable fortress on which they could survive and build more ZPM's. arcturus could do this, but it was flawed

Comment

If the Wraith really wanted to destroy Atlantis they should of just taken out the star...thats what I would do
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

If the Wraith really wanted to destroy Atlantis they should of just taken out the star...thats what I would do

Logic is not allowed here. Good point though, poisoning a star a something a intragalactic spacefaring race should be able to pull off.

Comment

just do the Red Sky trick

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                            Logic is not allowed here. Good point though, poisoning a star a something a intragalactic spacefaring race should be able to pull off.
                            Saves fighting their way through dozens of Ancient satellites as well. But yes you're right thats too logical.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            just do the Red Sky trick
                            Which was?

Comment

Saves fighting their way through dozens of Ancient satellites as well. But yes you're right thats too logical.

Which was?
                              That was the episode we override gate protocals and sent a wormhole thru a star and poisoned it. It was the episode with the macclarium element.

Comment

SG1 arrives on a Protected Planet and the sky turns red. the sun is dying because uranium or so synthesized in a star because of the wormhole going through it. the SGC had done an override on the gate. we found out that day that DHD protocols are better followed.

we saved them by sending maclarium through and disabling the gate at the right time. we never really knew if the asgard DID intervene and used us as a cover up or if the plan actually worked

Comment

Working...
                                X