Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are stargates connected to each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my explanation doesn't assume that a planet (or system, or sector) is meant to have two gates, it's just explaining why things happen the way they do when there are two gates on a planet. It's just a secondary effect of the system.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Also, under this system, it would be pointless to try to dial another gate on the same planet/system/sector because the dialing gate would be the most energized one and the wormhole would be drawn to the dialing gate. A gate can't connect to itself, so...no dice.
    Last edited by sunrek; 05 August 2009, 08:51 AM.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
      Well my explanation doesn't assume that a planet (or system, or sector) is meant to have two gates, it's just explaining why things happen the way they do when there are two gates on a planet. It's just a secondary effect of the system.

EDITED TO ADD:
      Also, under this system, it would be pointless to try to dial another gate on the same planet/system/sector because the dialing gate would be the most energized one and the wormhole would be drawn to the dialing gate. A gate can't connect to itself, so...no dice.
      If you are saying that this is how you think things happen just because it makes sence based off of what we see from the show then I agree but if your'e saying that this is how things happen because the Ancients meant them to then your wrong. It's a good idea eather way. Just because an idea is proven wrong [not saying I proved you wrong] doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea.

Also I said it would be pointless to dial a gate on the same planet but not because it doesn't fit your theory. I said it because it's outrageous to open a wormwhole to the other side of a planet when you have transporter rings.Your theory has yet to be proven correct/incorrect but so hasn't the theory that the ninth cheveron is used for dialing a gate on the same planet. Since your theory has yet to be proven it cannot disprove a diffferent theory. But I will admit your theory is much more likely.
      Last edited by Atlantean 7921; 05 August 2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post

When two Gates are in the sector, the signal is pulled to the more attractive Gate. Whichever Gate was dialed last, or has a DHD, has more power in its capacitors and pulls the wormhole to it. Maybe the system is designed that way to make sure if two Gates are on one planet, the Gate that has been used more recently is more likely to be a safe destination, so it's the one the wormhole connects to, preventing incidents like "Solitudes."

Maybe the area of effect of each Gate's pull is limited, and that's why if no Gate is present in a Gate Sector, then a wormhole will not establish, instead of simply being pulled to the nearest active sector's Gate.
        This is a good theory. However it is also equally possible that the stargate network would sense the presence of the secondary stargate allowing the dominant gate to send an override signal through subspace to the secondary stargate. The override signal would prevent the secondary stargate from receiving incoming wormholes. The only way the secondary stargate would be allowed to receive incoming wormholes again would be if the DHD of the dominant stargate was shut down. In the case of a stargate with no DHD then the stargate that has more power would be the one that sends out the override signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean 7921 View Post
          This is a good theory but even if travelling through sub-space it would take some time for the signal to reach each stargate over many lightyears and get the information from the other gate and come back. It would happen very quickly [deppending on how far away the other gate was] but not instantly as the show would lead us to beleave. I believe the whole process would take 1.5 seconds.
          We know that the communication terminals are capable of transmitting signals across intergalactic distances effectively instantly.

We know this because the people using them don't actually swap bodies with another person, they just take control by remote - this we know because placing the "possessed" person under a situation of extreme stress (say, burning them alive) causes a severe stress reaction in the "possessor's" body; also, disabling the communication terminal restores the person to his/her original body, rather then stranding the person in the other's body.

If you are saying that this is how you think things happen just because it makes sence based off of what we see from the show then I agree but if your'e saying that this is how things happen because the Ancients meant them to then your wrong.
          If the Stargate works the way he says it does, it would explain:

A) why you cannot dial a Stargate on the same planet as you

B) why certain Stargates become dominant when there are multiple Stargates on a planet

C) how a Stargate can dial a 'Gate on another planet without knowing the exact position of that planet.

Also I said it would be pointless to dial a gate on the same planet but not because it doesn't fit your theory.
          Uh, he did say that it would be physically impossible for a Stargate to dial another Stargate on the same planet, so I'm not sure what you're arguing.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            We know that the communication terminals are capable of transmitting signals across intergalactic distances effectively instantly.

We know this because the people using them don't actually swap bodies with another person, they just take control by remote - this we know because placing the "possessed" person under a situation of extreme stress (say, burning them alive) causes a severe stress reaction in the "possessor's" body; also, disabling the communication terminal restores the person to his/her original body, rather then stranding the person in the other's body.

If the Stargate works the way he says it does, it would explain:

A) why you cannot dial a Stargate on the same planet as you

B) why certain Stargates become dominant when there are multiple Stargates on a planet

C) how a Stargate can dial a 'Gate on another planet without knowing the exact position of that planet.

Uh, he did say that it would be physically impossible for a Stargate to dial another Stargate on the same planet, so I'm not sure what you're arguing.
            In my first message on this page I said I was just making 1.5 seconds up. I needed a number that sounded good. His theory is possible if hes saying this is how it happens by defualt but as I said if he means that the Ancients meant for it to happen that way hes wrong. Im not dissagreeing with a b or c as this is how it could happen. I think if he answered some more questions about his theory there would be room for arguement but untill those questions are answered I can't argue as for nothing he has clearly stated is wrong but some of the things he has implied are wrong.

Comment

I wasn't originally going to say that it was in the Ancients' grand design of the network to compensate for two gates that way, it just came to me as I was writing it. But it does work out nicely that way.

And why is it such a terrible idea that the Ancients would have planned to be able to have more than one Gate on a planet? People come up with ideas of operating two Gates on Earth or one on the moon (see one of the Moonbase threads), why would the Ancients not have similar ideas. I'm not saying they did that regularly, but why would it be bad to design a system that can't do that?
              Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Working...
              X