No announcement yet.

instead of railguns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe that has to do with the big boys' shields, not with the goauld.

goauld have horrible targeting, their weapons are on permanent spread mode. well, very effective to make a world bow to you. but they managed to miss massive stationary ori ships.

our railguns now are fine as they are. fighters do squat

Comment

Though I do think if missiles would be coated with Kull armour then fighters can become dangerous. For then missiles can be shot throe shields.

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

doubt they can go throug all shields

and none of our enemies use missiles

Comment

Except for the Pegasus replicators who use drones and the Wraith who use kamikaze darts.
          My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

first are dead and the second, well a dart does squat against a shield. damage is negligible compared to the plasma bolts heading our way

Comment

Just because no one right now uses missiles, or decent fighters, doesn't mean others will not. Railguns work very well against Alkesh, and would be a good counter to bomber craft. Just because Darts do very little damage to 304 shields, doesn't mean that a few hundred are harmless.

Shields and APBWs have been shown to fail, while Railguns remain prefectly operational. They can do decent damage to Wraith ships on their own anyway. In the Daedalus Variants they showed just how useful Railguns could be. Scaled up Railguns could preform quite well as long ranged Anti-capital ship weapons. The Railguns do have uses, and just because we don't use them that much, doesn't mean we can do without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzan View Post
                The Railguns do have uses, and just because we don't use them that much, doesn't mean we can do without them.
                Exactly, why do you think that they put the machine guns back on when designing the F-22s. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
                sigpic

Comment

yea sure...how about a glove on a spring...or a flag that says BANG!

Comment

ok lol, was that post serious? I think not.

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Comment

that's called sarcasm.

i never said railguns are useless. i said a superadvanced CIWS is useless. we dont need plasma CIWS, railguns as they are are fine. 1 change: make it an automated system. so we dont miss that much. in The Siege, the railguns were very effective.

ok, what would a dart weight? 4 tonnes? lets do 5, easier.

ok so E(k)=1/2mv^2.

so ballistic speeds, E(k)=1/2 x 5000 x 10 000 ^2= 2.5 x 10^11

1 Kt= 4.184x10^12.

so 2.5x10^11 / 4.184x10^12 = 0.06 KT.

1 goauld bolt is 200MT.

thats 200 000 KT.

3347200 Darts are needed to equal 1 goauld bolt.

fighters do squat.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
                        Exactly, why do you think that they put the machine guns back on when designing the F-22s. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
                        Exactly!

Quick history lesson for you.
                        F-4 Phantoms in the Vietnam war, while basically superior to their opponents, the Mig-21, they lacked machine guns to dog fight. Top brass thought they wouldn't be needed, had no use in modern combat, that Sidewinder missile defensive systems would negate the use of close in defence guns.

They were wrong.
                        Ultimately, you could retrofit the 304's with an uber advance defensive system, or non at all, because we don't need it at the moment. Then one of your ships, which cost billions of dollars to contruct will blow up, when a single fighter crashes into something vital, and you will suddenly decide that, 'gee, gosh, maybe rail-guns are a good idea after all'.
                        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Its allways better to have something when you don't need them then to not have them when you DO need them.

Lets create a scenario:

A 304 is under attack by 3 hives. The Hives are disposed off, but there are so much darts around the ship, with shields already down to 5% and the hyperdrive is gone. The 302s are gone and you have no railguns.

Then It is BYE BYE 304, for APBW will not work against masses of fighters

www.darkarmada.nl
                          www.runescape.com

Comment

it'll jump to hyperspace, or laugh and take the darts on their shields.

Comment

rail guns are fine versus our current known foes' smaller craft, but a few AA pulse cannon wouldn't be a bad idea for when we come up against either armored or shielded fighters, bombers, small cap ships. as i recall, the ori toilets had secondary pulse cannons that were very effective vs goa'uld ships. i was thinking a smaller, faster tracking version of those. now the trick is to get one and reverse engineer and miniaturize them.
                              That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                it'll jump to hyperspace, or laugh and take the darts on their shields.
                                je hebt mijn scenario nie goe gleze.

In my sceario I said: Shields nearly down, and the Hyperdrive is dead = G O N E = B R O K E N = I N O P E R A B L E

www.darkarmada.nl
                                www.runescape.com

Comment

Working...
                                X