x-699, usefull stargate weapon or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was clearly not meant to destroy.

Felger's weapon would've substituted the missiles on the 303, not 302.

i think we CAN build say, g36-sized plasma weapons. but at what cost? its 10000x cheaper to use current weapons. have they ever failed us? aside from against Kull and Humanforms?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      i think we CAN build say, g36-sized plasma weapons. but at what cost? its 10000x cheaper to use current weapons. have they ever failed us? aside from against Kull and Humanforms?
      ....against which fancy energy blasters would have failed just as much yes.

If you get right down to it there's nothing out there that justifies Earth developing a new "energy" small arm at some sort of outrageous cost. Modern firearms are already hilariously superior in actual utility to all of the "more advanced" alternatives carried by the misc aliens and the odd "super badguy" like a kull or Replicator that can't be harmed by them won't be harmed by a fancy new plasma rifle either.

If I was in charge of this all I'd do right now is develop a naquada/potassium bullet in various US military chamberings to blow more appropriately sized holes in Wraith. Screw this compulsory mag dump ****.

Comment

The best would be a hybrid weapon capable of firing both energy as well as bullets. The Kull blaster is small and portable enough to fit into an p90 or g36.
        sigpic
        - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

seeing today's search for a non-lethal weapon, conventional weapons with an intar attachement will be best

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post

If I was in charge of this all I'd do right now is develop a naquada/potassium bullet in various US military chamberings to blow more appropriately sized holes in Wraith. Screw this compulsory mag dump ****.
            amen

Comment

Is there a reason behind the potassium or did you perhaps mean phosphorus?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
                Is there a reason behind the potassium or did you perhaps mean phosphorus?
                It reacts explosively when mixed with naquada and you don't need much at all for dramatic results. You could create a small hollow cavity inside even a small bullet like 5.56 and probably still end up with a really nasty effect on impact.

The real trick would be compartmentalizing the naquada and potassium so there's no risk of them mixing if the ammo is handled roughly, or on firing, but also so it's guaranteed that they mix when the bullet strikes its target. Some sort of soft metal with two seperate cavities designed to squash together on impact would probably be the way to go.

Even if every round doesn't pop 100% of the time I'd rather air on the side of safety for the firer and just encourage them to fire in bursts.

Comment

It reacts explosively when mixed with naquada and you don't need much at all for dramatic results. You could create a small hollow cavity inside even a small bullet like 5.56 and probably still end up with a really nasty effect on impact.

The real trick would be compartmentalizing the naquada and potassium so there's no risk of them mixing if the ammo is handled roughly, or on firing, but also so it's guaranteed that they mix when the bullet strikes its target. Some sort of soft metal with two seperate cavities designed to squash together on impact would probably be the way to go.

Even if every round doesn't pop 100% of the time I'd rather air on the side of safety for the firer and just encourage them to fire in bursts.
                  http://www.nosler.com/index.php?bullet=3&p=3
                  Something like a nosler partition bullet with a really thin partition between the top and bottom slug would do the trick. The naquada slug would be in the rear and the pottasium slug (encapsulated or electroplated) in the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                    http://www.nosler.com/index.php?bullet=3&p=3
                    Something like a nosler partition bullet with a really thin partition between the top and bottom slug would do the trick. The naquada slug would be in the rear and the pottasium slug (encapsulated or electroplated) in the nose.
                    Yep that's the general idea, or like Russian 5.45.

Might want to use a slightly softer material for the jacketing though.
                    Last edited by Ouroboros; 29 July 2009, 08:52 PM.

Comment

The potential of one particle would be so powerful that a few particles of that naqahdah in the most standard "two chambers" bullet would provide blast abilities worth of several kilos of TNT. We're talking about a bomb that was going to provide several kilotons of energy, and that by an initial chemical reaction.
                      Iron was also required as part of the mixture incorporating potassium.

The non use of this very obvious combination, in universe, has to be explained. Remember, it was used in season 1 of SG-1. It's very old stuff, yet very basic. Since the Tau'ri have built various advanced spaceships, understood how to use some Alteran and Lantian tech, but have never ever used one single shell of that kind, then the most obvious explanation is that there's something about the principle of this deadly combination that they don't know.
                      The reason why this has never surfaced is, in my opinion, that this naqahdah was a very special mixture.
                      I stand by the theory that we cannot replicate that form of naqahdah, and that it took Niirti great efforts to prepare Cassandra to grow that bomb "naturally" by messing with her DNA (using a non-Goa'uld technology -fact) and by introducing this special enriched naqahdah.
                      The Tau'ri, and possibly the Goa'uld in general, would not know how to kickstart such a chemical reaction without the help of additional hardware.
                      My 2c.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

you mean that the naquahdah was some form of nano machine or special structure, or a special isotope?

Comment

Something like that, yes.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            The potential of one particle would be so powerful that a few particles of that naqahdah in the most standard "two chambers" bullet would provide blast abilities worth of several kilos of TNT. We're talking about a bomb that was going to provide several kilotons of energy, and that by an initial chemical reaction.
                            Iron was also required as part of the mixture incorporating potassium.

The non use of this very obvious combination, in universe, has to be explained. Remember, it was used in season 1 of SG-1. It's very old stuff, yet very basic. Since the Tau'ri have built various advanced spaceships, understood how to use some Alteran and Lantian tech, but have never ever used one single shell of that kind, then the most obvious explanation is that there's something about the principle of this deadly combination that they don't know.
                            The reason why this has never surfaced is, in my opinion, that this naqahdah was a very special mixture.
                            I stand by the theory that we cannot replicate that form of naqahdah, and that it took Niirti great efforts to prepare Cassandra to grow that bomb "naturally" by messing with her DNA (using a non-Goa'uld technology -fact) and by introducing this special enriched naqahdah.
                            The Tau'ri, and possibly the Goa'uld in general, would not know how to kickstart such a chemical reaction without the help of additional hardware.
                            My 2c.
                            I would imagine that working with Pottasium isn't a lot of fun. It's not malleable, flaky, very chemically reactive, poor mechanical properties, etc.

Comment

The best of energy weapons is their unlimited ammo. Intars are for security purpose only where you want to disable not kill. The best would be a main weapon with normal high penetration ammo and a kull blaster to kill armored and not armored personnel and a side weapon a Intar Beretta M9 to disable.
                              sigpic
                              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Wraith stunners would kick ass as a less than lethal option for law enforcement agencies the world over. Just build the tech into a better designed weapon and it's even better than a Zat gun since there's zero chance of killing the target.

I've always wondered though. Move this part here, divide by 2 instead of 4 there, don't carry the one in the calculations, just how easy would it be to turn one of those into some kind of deathray that just obliterates a living target's nervous system and kills them instantly instead of carefully stunning them.

Making it kill people in horriffic twitching fashion might actually be a lot easier from a design standpoint than making it strike that delicate balance where it's manipulating their CNS with weird types of energy but only "stunning" them as a result.

I'd take that over a plasma weapon if it came with a decent set of sights and a maybe a boost in the rate of fire. A rain of little blue bolts that kill virtually any living thing with a CNS with even badly placed shots would be a pretty worthy first entry into the "fancy energy weapons" category. Not a full on replacement for modern or boosted firearms necessarily but definately something more worth looking into than a gun that shoots "exploding fireballs".
                                Last edited by Ouroboros; 31 July 2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X