• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to mess with our heads?
    sigpic

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by IMDB
    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
    Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
      to mess with our heads?
      possibly... or to make it look like a new address
      SG-1 members
      Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by pjp View Post
        wikipedia
        Well, wikipedia cannot be a trusted source of information. Because anyone can post info on there, and its not checked. So, unless that info comes from a trusted Stargate site like Gateworld...disregard it!
        Last edited by LtColCarter; 07 July 2009, 05:46 AM. Reason: clarification
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          Well, wikipedia cannot be a trusted source of information. Because anyone can post info on there, and its not checked. So, unless that info comes from a trusted Stargate site like Gateworld...disregard it!
          ok, so maybe its wrong
          SG-1 members
          Atlantis Team members

Comment

ok, so maybe its wrong
            Look at it this way. Saying that you can't dial the Earth gate because it has the same glyf as another planet's gate would be like saying that I couldn't call my parents' house because my phone number has a 3 in it and their phone number has a 3 in it. So, whoever posted that, has faulty logic.
            sigpic

Comment

Look at it this way. Saying that you can't dial the Earth gate because it has the same glyf as another planet's gate would be like saying that I couldn't call my parents' house because my phone number has a 3 in it and their phone number has a 3 in it. So, whoever posted that, has faulty logic.
              think about how a dhd dials an address: the glyphs light up as they engage
              SG-1 members
              Atlantis Team members

Comment

think about how a dhd dials an address: the glyphs light up as they engage
                True...but just because one has the same symbol as Earth in their address doesn't mean they can't dial Earth. Again, look at my example about dialing a phone.
                sigpic

Comment

PJP...could you provide a link to place where you found the information on this?

The only thing I've found on Melia is this:
                  Melia, the female leader on the Atlantean Council, is the same woman who recorded the holographic message discovered by the expedition in our timeline, in which she described the Wraith war and the Atlanteans's ultimate decision to submerge the city and evacuate through the Stargate to Earth ("Rising, Part 1"). Despite their rejection of Janus's plans, they remained concerned about the future of the city and hopeful that humans might one day return.

Found on Gateworld at: Before I Sleep
                  Last edited by LtColCarter; 07 July 2009, 06:49 AM. Reason: Additional information added
                  sigpic

Comment

its probably wrong but: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Point_of_origin
                    SG-1 members
                    Atlantis Team members

Comment

can someone please explain why the phone example works with regards to a dhd
                      SG-1 members
                      Atlantis Team members

Comment

can someone please explain why the phone example works with regards to a dhd
                        DHD...you dial glyphs to make a connection.

Phone...you dial numbers to make a connection.

Some planetary addresses are going to use some of the same glyphs to make a connection...just in a different order. When dialing on a DHD its the order you put the glyphs in and the point of origin that matters.

When you dial a phone number...you enter numbers in a specific order to reach a specific person. If you were calling your parents' house and their phone number has a 3 in it and your phone number has a 3 in it...does that mean you can't connect with each other? No

Its the same thing with a DHD.
                        sigpic

Comment

DHD...you dial glyphs to make a connection.

Phone...you dial numbers to make a connection.

Some planetary addresses are going to use some of the same glyphs to make a connection...just in a different order. When dialing on a DHD its the order you put the glyphs in and the point of origin that matters.

When you dial a phone number...you enter numbers in a specific order to reach a specific person. If you were calling your parents' house and their phone number has a 3 in it and your phone number has a 3 in it...does that mean you can't connect with each other? No

Its the same thing with a DHD.
                          ok thanks
                          SG-1 members
                          Atlantis Team members

Comment

True...but just because one has the same symbol as Earth in their address doesn't mean they can't dial Earth. Again, look at my example about dialing a phone.
                            That isn't what he is saying. We do not know Melia's address. We do know, however, that Melia's PoO (Scutum, seen here) is in Earth's address. This means that if someone on Melia tried to dial Earth, they would fail, as they would not be able to dial the PoO, as that glyph would have already been included in the dial.
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              That isn't what he is saying. We do not know Melia's address. We do know, however, that Melia's PoO (Scutum, seen here) is in Earth's address. This means that if someone on Melia tried to dial Earth, they would fail, as they would not be able to dial the PoO, as that glyph would have already been included in the dial.
                              exactly... confusingly it is also Tok'ra Planet's PoO... check it for yourself: http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/l...phs.htm#origin
                              SG-1 members
                              Atlantis Team members

Comment

another thing: is P7J-989's PoO on the gate: http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/l...poo-p7j989.gif???
                                SG-1 members
                                Atlantis Team members

Comment

Working...
                                X